Off-road x-pipe sounds like a cross between...

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
... a civic with a fart can, a Ferrari, and a Mustang all put together.

When not under load, the car sounds awesome when reved. While accelerating under load, the car sounds a little hollow, a little higher pitch, like "grrrrrrrrrrr" instead of the "vroooommmm..." that the h-pipe makes! Sounds a little gayish... IMO.

If I could do it over again, I'd pick the h-pipe over the x-pipe!

How do you other x-pipe users feel?

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
I enjoy the unique sound that X-pipes make, the Bassani being a little too muted IMO. I like the Dr Gas but since it is no cats, it is off limits in my state...

Also IMO, the H makes the Cobra sound like a 3/4 ton GMC with a busted manifold. I'd much rather have a distinctive exhaust note rather than one that tags me as a redneck.

Before anyone gets offended at my redneck comment, we have lots of, uh, people around here in the WNC mountains that get duals with "cherry bombs" within the first 100 miles of ownership of any vehicle, be it 4, 6, or 8 cylinder. The pickups are especially offensive since their owners install tips that stick out a foot past the rear bumper, often without mufflers at all. I've heard Mustangs with H pipes that sound much like these trucks. :nonono:

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
The term "unique" is right on... I guess it's going to take some getting used to. :D

My only problem now is that I have to look around me before stepping on the gas! :( Wouldn't want to attract the boys in blue ya know... :D)

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> I like the Dr Gas but since it is no cats, it is off limits in my state...

Not true. Dr. Gas can throw on cats for a discount if you purchase the kit directly. Carsound or Catco.

GreyCobra_03

Lurch
Established Member
Hey man, what is "Trac-Adapt" in your sig?

Originally posted by JoeAsheville
I enjoy the unique sound that X-pipes make, the Bassani being a little too muted IMO. I like the Dr Gas but since it is no cats, it is off limits in my state...

Also IMO, the H makes the Cobra sound like a 3/4 ton GMC with a busted manifold. I'd much rather have a distinctive exhaust note rather than one that tags me as a redneck.

Before anyone gets offended at my redneck comment, we have lots of, uh, people around here in the WNC mountains that get duals with "cherry bombs" within the first 100 miles of ownership of any vehicle, be it 4, 6, or 8 cylinder. The pickups are especially offensive since their owners install tips that stick out a foot past the rear bumper, often without mufflers at all. I've heard Mustangs with H pipes that sound much like these trucks. :nonono:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by JoeAsheville

You tell 'em, son - I couldn't agree more. I must pass about 100 of these Bubba-Blubbermobiles every morning on the way to the plant - they give me a headache. Plus they sound so lame when the automatic trannies make a meandering sloppy upshift - bawaammmmWHAhahahah.

I personally believe a DOHC engine should have a more Euro flavor, and I get that from my Maggies, esp. with the Bassani baffles in place. But there is no mistaking that we are still talking good 'ol V8 rumble, just with a tinge of GT40 at top speed on the Mulsanne Straight at Le Mans, 1967.

If I want the rumbling motorboat on Smith mountain Lake sound, I can fire up my '72 Corvette LS5 with the factory side pipes. Bawambabulblublub. Or should is say Buggs island, brother Joe Asheville? :thumbsup:

GreyCobra_03

Lurch
Established Member
No Chip as of yet, I have an AFC that will be installed before I start driving her again. Will see lots of power then! If you would like to check out this system, click on my web page link at bottom of page

Last edited:

Poison_S

Established Member
Sound of the X-pipe

ForbiddenSnake,

Initially, I too thought that the X-pipe sounded a tad funny when remembering the sound of past Mustang H-pipes.

However, the X-pipe sound has grown on me and I prefer it to the H-pipe.

It seems to me that we are experiencing the evolution of what a muscle car *should* sound like.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How does the Bassani system sound compared to the MagnaFlow system (X-pipes)? Does the MagnaFlow have less of an "exotic F40" sound to it? I plan on replacing the stock system in the Spring but really want a nice American Muscle sound. If you know what I mean. But nothing that is obnoxious (i.e. too loud).

EasyMoney

Established Member
The magnaflows with the stock h pipe sounds awsome. But i have a bassani x with cats going on this week with the magnaflows.Got to be more awsome

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
Re: Sound of the X-pipe

Originally posted by Poison_S
ForbiddenSnake,

Initially, I too thought that the X-pipe sounded a tad funny when remembering the sound of past Mustang H-pipes.

It seems to me that we are experiencing the evolution of what a muscle car *should* sound like.

I hear ya bro... and I think you're right! I'm beginning to like it more and more now... Instead of just the vrrrrrrooooommm.... it growls and vrrrroooommmmm.... :D

03DOHC

Established Member
Re: Sound of the X-pipe

Originally posted by Poison_S

:beer: I agree 100%!:thumbsup:

BTW, I like your new avatar!:beer:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> BTW, I like [Poison_S] new avatar!

It does look a tad bit blurry, no?

davidmax

Established Member
My stroker has the JDM Kooks headers.no pre-cats ,H-pipe by there recomendation,free flow cats running into a Borla cat back.
I will change mufflers back to stock in Jan. and dyno cat back VS stock mufflers.I get flipped off at red lights its loud and I,m running tto much cam advance I will back it off it bucks at idle.
Still a 3-4 week wait to see if my street legal monster can break a record.I am begining to see I can get HP but streetability is just as important.Dave S.

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
Hehehe..... so far nobody has flipped me off yet... :D Is that a good sign or what?

I've only installed it for a couple of days now. It's not loud at all if you can control the weight of your right foot. However, once you step on it, it'll wake up the whole neighborhood.

I also noticed that sound has changed tone slightly. Could it be that it's getting burned in now? I could, very well, just be getting used to it too...

Users who are viewing this thread