off road mid pipe

Funny5.0

Established Member
Lesson learned, loosen up all the clamps to be able to readjust everything so you don't have the issues I have had with rubbing and rattling issues. I installed a UPR OR X pipe this past week and I had the same issue. I loosened up all the clamps to readjust everything and no more issues

Cool thanks, I figured it was something like this.
I will try to re-adjust like you said but won't be able to do this for about a week because of my crazy work schedule. I still need to drive my car, hope nothing gets damaged until then. Until being fixed I'll warm it up before driving anywhere. There isn't any rubbing once warmed up.

jdcobra

Established Member
Cool thanks, I figured it was something like this.
I will try to re-adjust like you said but won't be able to do this for about a week because of my crazy work schedule. I still need to drive my car, hope nothing gets damaged until then. Until being fixed I'll warm it up before driving anywhere. There isn't any rubbing once warmed up.

Mine started off that way and then the passenger side over axle pipe started rattling and made it sound like crap. I tightened all bolts and nuts with a battery powered impact, put blue loctite on all nuts and bolts, then used a torque wrench on like 10lbs or less to make sure they wouldn't loosen up.

Funny5.0

Established Member
Mine started off that way and then the passenger side over axle pipe started rattling and made it sound like crap. I tightened all bolts and nuts with a battery powered impact, put blue loctite on all nuts and bolts, then used a torque wrench on like 10lbs or less to make sure they wouldn't loosen up.

Thanks for the info,
If it get worse I'll drive my wife's car to work until I can fix it.
Hopefully the sound won't progress over the next week.

EscapedGreg

Established Member
I installed the BBK X-pipe and was able to keep the factory cats on the car. Plus they make a cat delete pipe that I can add if I ever want to get rid of the cats.

jdcobra

Established Member
Thanks for the info,
If it get worse I'll drive my wife's car to work until I can fix it.
Hopefully the sound won't progress over the next week.

Also after install make sure you jack up the x pipe from the middle and let it set for an hour or so for ground/ panhard brace clearance

jdcobra

Established Member
Also, make sure the rear hangers aren't touching the hanger bracket -_- I adjust everything on the damn car and neglected to take a look at those and that was my issue the whole damn time

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Also after install make sure you jack up the x pipe from the middle and let it set for an hour or so for ground/ panhard brace clearance

I thought about doing this, doesn't put any strain on the headers? I just switched from the crappy JBA O/R X to the lethal O/R H and the lethal pipe at the very back sits a tad lower than the JBA and I am lowered a lot so was afraid of it scraping. Hasn't yet but if I can help get the center to sit higher that'd be great!

jdcobra

Established Member
I had the car on 4 jack stands when I did it and you just have to eye it when jacking it up and you should be fine. I only jacked up maybe 1" and it's still sitting there with no scraping issues.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I had the car on 4 jack stands when I did it and you just have to eye it when jacking it up and you should be fine. I only jacked up maybe 1" and it's still sitting there with no scraping issues.

cool thanks for the input, I'll give that a try and see how it acts. Did you do this with the clamps loose and then tighten them after jacking it up an inch I am guessing?

jdcobra

Established Member
Loosen all clamps to make sure you the exhaust adjust and then tighten them down. When you jack it up from the middle also look around to make sure you still have clearance in the rear end. I left the jack under for about an hour or so give or take

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Loosen all clamps to make sure you the exhaust adjust and then tighten them down. When you jack it up from the middle also look around to make sure you still have clearance in the rear end. I left the jack under for about an hour or so give or take

cool thanks again man, I will make sure to do that.

03-BLK-SNAKE

Established Member
I have been debating the cat deletes as well and have another question. I live in Texas and have to swap in the cats for emissions on an annual basis like many others on the forum. I have heard of the nightmares of removing the 4 bolts at the bottom of the manifolds to install the cat delete pipes. Are these bolts still a struggle every time you remove them in the future to swap the cats back in or is there a remedy to ease this pain? I currently have the GT500 axlebacks w/ resonators removed. Anyone with this combo and then added cat deletes? Still sound good or does it sound like crap without the resonators? I will search YouTube also.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I have been debating the cat deletes as well and have another question. I live in Texas and have to swap in the cats for emissions on an annual basis like many others on the forum. I have heard of the nightmares of removing the 4 bolts at the bottom of the manifolds to install the cat delete pipes. Are these bolts still a struggle every time you remove them in the future to swap the cats back in or is there a remedy to ease this pain? I currently have the GT500 axlebacks w/ resonators removed. Anyone with this combo and then added cat deletes? Still sound good or does it sound like crap without the resonators? I will search YouTube also.

when I switched from my stock setup to my JBA O/R X back last october it was a PITA. Now when I switched from my JBA O/R X to the Lethal O/R H it was easy.

Difference? I had a torque wrench. Also a second person is 100% helpful too.

dead man walkin

Established Member
Wait wait .. blk snake.... you have to swap your cats back in every year???? I'm Texas also, I didn't know we had to do that?

03-BLK-SNAKE

Established Member
I could be wrong but don't they hook our cars up to sniffers at each annual inspection to test emissions? If so, we have to have cats in place. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Mrplow

Established Member
I also just put on UPR OR-X, used a lift and wasn't bad except the outside passenger pipe to header bolt, it was a problem. I have the same question as a couple previous posters here, should I remove the factory resonators? I have a Borla axle back, and it sounds good without much drone if any at highway speeds. My biggest reason for wondering what getting rid of the resonators would do is the exhaust note is just kind of plain and "monotone", not real muscular or "rappy" more exotic sounding if this makes sense? Just wish someone made a x-pipe to axle only center pipe without anything extra.

03-BLK-SNAKE

Established Member
Did a google search on the emissions and it appears (according to DPS website) that Williamson county does in fact require emissions testing at each annual inspection. However, it does mention that if the vehicle is 1996 or newer, they use the on-board diagnostic (OBDII) test method. Does this mean that if we have a custom tune that turns the check engine light off, we should be good since the computer thinks everything is normal? Anyone got experience with this? Would love to know...

03-BLK-SNAKE

Established Member
I looked a little further and it appears that the OBDII test could simply rely on the vehicles check engine light and if this light turns on during startup and then turns off when running, the vehicle passes. I hope someone can confirm this as this was the only thing turning me off of purchasing cat deletes...did not want to screw with swapping these out every year.

dead man walkin

Established Member
I was under the impression that it was just hooked up to the obd2 port... I didn't think a sniffer was used... any one in Texas with cat deletes had an inspection?

Users who are viewing this thread