oem piston in lightning

silver01litin

Established Member
Hello, i am going to be rebuilding my 5.4 2nd gen lightning eninge soon. my question is that, the stock factory oem pistons any good to reuse if they pass inspection to be reringed and run again. also are they forged pistons like the aftermarket. i am going to put all new bearings and gaskets and new forged rod in engine. thanx.

jwiles6186

I Hate Speed Bumps!
Established Member
I'd go ahead and upgrade em while u've got it all tore down, but that's just me. Im sure someone else will chime in about it

MJG

Established Member
Stock pistons in the L are indeed forged and manufactured by MAHLE.
If you are on a tight budget you can re-use them.

MJG

Established Member
Modmax has good reviews. I wouldnt see an issue running their set-up.

auyon

svt freak
Established Member
if your on a budget you can get hawk forged h beams. they are about $375. and your pistons will hold up unless you go krazy. I'm at 525 hp and 100 shot with that set up and its been going strong for over 3 years. just get studs both main and head.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Id go modmax, and get some good pistons to go in. It will cost a little more now, but its one thing you will never have to worry about again.

Also, when considering using the stock pistons, your gonna have to take into consideration what needs to be done to the block. If you need to bore it,(or maybe even a good hone) the pistons may come out to be too small to ideally fit the bores.

Users who are viewing this thread