Oem Clutch Cable Too Short with Firewall Adjuster????

greenflash00

Established Member
For some reason my clutch cable will not reach the fork to hook in unless I pry the cable to meet it, therefore compressing the clutch in with the throwout bearing and reducing my clamping force.
My firewall adjuster (mcleod click) is all the way in and it still won't reach. Quadrant is Steeda qr.

I'm stumped. What could be causing this? :nonono::shrug:

greenflash00

Established Member
Pretty sure I figured it out…the guy I got the car from had a quadrant designed for an adjustable cable and not the oem cable. That would explain the loss in cable length. I'll know for sure tomorrow.

TRBO VNM

Post some pics of cable routing and the cable end going into the firewall adjuster.

I have used UPR, MM, McLeod, Fiore, Steeda adjusters and quadrants and combinations of them all and HAVE NEVER had a setup that the cable is too short. If so, it was either the wrong cable installed by another shop(yes, just had this happen where a well known shop, vendor on here installed a v6 cable on a 97 cobra) or cable that was routed wrong.

Last edited:

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I had the same issue factory cable seemed to short? I have the Ford Racing fire wall adjuster and quadrant, would've thought tha it fit perfect? I ended up using a Steeda cable. Only issue I have is the clutch release feels High on the pedal.

TRBO VNM

Can you guys post pictures? Seriously, something is not right if you are having these problems. I have dealt with so many cable issues this year because either shops are idiots or people just don't know what they are doing and mess up the install not realizing they did something wrong.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Wish I could post pics never had the ability too, I feel like an idiot as well when it comes to the Cobra?

I've replaced several clutch cables on my other GTs used various brands in the past such as UPR, latemodel, BBK, Steeda cables and learned the hard way to use the original Ford cable and never had any issues after, (Although Steeda cable were not bad ) but for some reason it could not get the stock cable to work on my Cobra with the RXT combo? Now I am having what I believe to be a TOB issue?

TRBO VNM

Just upload the pics to photobucket or another hosting site and then after uploaded you click on the picture and it will give you links you can copy and paste in here.

We can only help you with the type of information you give us. So help us help you.

Users who are viewing this thread