OEM Boss springs+ Koni's on a GT/Brembo car?

BMR Tech

The Bilsteins are a great option.

I also like the Strange Adjustables. They have slightly stiffer compression valving, and the rebound adjustment goes from right at OEM valving (comparable) to substantially stiffer.

The older Strange pieces were designed more, or I should say...catered to the "street/strip" crew. The S197 versions are an all-around performer. I've got a customer in the midwest setting track records with them.

The Tokico D-Specs are a really good performer too. I've just had too many "quality" / warranty issues with them.

Mineral_01'

Established Member
I forgot to add.....the Boss/Koni set-up is a great set-up.....especially when you go with a stiffer front bar.

Myself, I like the rear spring rate a lot of the Boss....but not so much of a fan of running the front rate in the 140-150 range.

Interesting. Would it not be better to just increase coil rate in the front and not use a bigger bar? Assuming someone made a Boss height spring in a higher rate that is.

Also, what are your thoughts on using either Boss 302 front or Boss LS springs matched with the ~167 lb/in 55D rear springs? Or would you have it just factory Boss 302 springs front and rear?

BMR Tech

Yes, (for this specific scenario) I like a higher coil rate, over the bigger bar.

However, I personally....am a big fan of a somewhat softer coil rate....and a big bar rate. That is suited best for "my" customer base. Street and occasional track stuff. That is why I am about to release our new front bar, that is massive at 38mm, with a stiffest setting of about 1100lb/in! lol

I LOVE the 167lb/in rate of the 55D springs.

At the end of the day, I still prefer the 1" - 1.5" drop stuff.......but if I wanted to strategically attack this, at a barely lowered ride height.....I would run the 55D Rear Springs, and a FRPP P-Spring up front, with a thicker lower isolator and spacers between the Upper Mount and Strut Tower. ;)

Mineral_01'

Established Member
Yes, (for this specific scenario) I like a higher coil rate, over the bigger bar.

However, I personally....am a big fan of a somewhat softer coil rate....and a big bar rate. That is suited best for "my" customer base. Street and occasional track stuff. That is why I am about to release our new front bar, that is massive at 38mm, with a stiffest setting of about 1100lb/in! lol

At the end of the day, I still prefer the 1" - 1.5" drop stuff.......but if I wanted to strategically attack this, at a barely lowered ride height.....I would run the 55D Rear Springs, and a FRPP P-Spring up front, with a thicker lower isolator and spacers between the Upper Mount and Strut Tower. ;)

Kelly,

First I just wanted to say how much I appreciate your insight and taking the time to reply in all these threads. I have never seen another vendor give out very detailed and unbiased information as you do. Many props to you sir.

The new sn197 sway bar sounds interesting. Do you have a release date?

Finally, you described a very unique setup with P front springs and 55D's out back. Never thought of doing something like that. Interesting, wish you could buy the front FRPP P-springs individually...

lsxjunkie

Established Member
The Bilsteins are a great option.

I also like the Strange Adjustables. They have slightly stiffer compression valving, and the rebound adjustment goes from right at OEM valving (comparable) to substantially stiffer.

The older Strange pieces were designed more, or I should say...catered to the "street/strip" crew. The S197 versions are an all-around performer. I've got a customer in the midwest setting track records with them.

The Tokico D-Specs are a really good performer too. I've just had too many "quality" / warranty issues with them.

I was just about to ask about this. The Stranges are so much cheaper than the Konis. When you say stiffer, do you mean in comparison to stock? The only reason I ask is I am currently running Boss LS shocks as well and drive around with them set to full stiff, just to get the rebound dampening, but the compression dampening is a bit harsh for my tastes. Thanks.

Interesting. I thought the P-Spring had was progressive. I wouldn't ever have thought to combine a progressive front spring with a linear rear spring.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Kelly,

First I just wanted to say how much I appreciate your insight and taking the time to reply in all these threads. I have never seen another vendor give out very detailed and unbiased information as you do. Many props to you sir.

The new sn197 sway bar sounds interesting. Do you have a release date?

Finally, you described a very unique setup with P front springs and 55D's out back. Never thought of doing something like that. Interesting, wish you could buy the front FRPP P-springs individually...

I hope to release the new F/R bars mid/late this month.

Yes - I wish everyone sold the front/rear pairs separate, like we do.

Thanks for the words. I love suspension....and love what I do, so I think that may help a little. BMR treats me extremely well, so that also helps. :beer:

I was just about to ask about this. The Stranges are so much cheaper than the Konis. When you say stiffer, do you mean in comparison to stock? The only reason I ask is I am currently running Boss LS shocks as well and drive around with them set to full stiff, just to get the rebound dampening, but the compression dampening is a bit harsh for my tastes. Thanks.

Interesting. I thought the P-Spring had was progressive. I wouldn't ever have thought to combine a progressive front spring with a linear rear spring.

Yes, in comparison to stock. The Strange Struts and shocks will provide a more comfortable ride, in comparison to the other options being discussed.

The P-Springs are considered a "progressive" spring.....but, they are closer to what I would call a dual rate. The only coils that vary in rate are like the bottom 1.5 coils or so, then they transition into the linear portion of the spring. That will enable a great ride, and good handling.

As far as mixing a progressive Front with a Linear Rear - why not? You have a 5~% or so higher weight/load up front....so I don't think the lower portion of that progression will hardly ever even be utilized. Also, what I have noticed over time is the "rates" on these springs......and testing, it is somewhat misleading.

Example. If you test a spring rate from 0" to 5" of compression......and take an average, what does that actually tell you? It tells me, that, you have to compress a coil 5" just to get it to seat on the strut. SO - that average rate form 0" to 5".....matters because?

I am a little disappointed that the rates, and methods of testing are not more readily available, for the offerings on the market. I mean, I design our springs....so I can spit the info out like nothing. For example, our newest true Linear front spring is a 165lb/in design. It is load tested, 682lbs @ 7.5"....with rate checks at 6.5" and 7.5". The wire Dia. is .562".....and has a total of 5.5 coils.

Sorry for rambling. Carry on.

Mineral_01'

Established Member
Kelly,

Thanks for elaborating on the progressive front (dual rate) front P-springs. What you said makes a lot of sense. Amazing food for thought in here. I have not come across anything on the net like it.

I hate to keep bothering you, but when you are talking about the Strange shocks/struts are you referring to the dual adjustable ones or the singles? Also, in BMR's new spring lineup, will there be offerings for a 1/2" drop linear spring similar to the Boss in the offerings? If so, I will definitely hold out for those as opposed to making a frankensuspension with Boss, FRPP P-springs and 55D's.

BMR Tech

Singles.

And no, we will not have a .50" drop. All will be in the 1.25" to 1.5" range. That, IMO, is the optimal height for this chassis when paired with Geometry correcting pieces (that we offer, that are engineered around said drop)

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
Great thread! Due to driveways, speed bumps, potholes, and me not driving it all the time, I've been considering a marginal drop. That along with not having to do much besides, maybe, an adjustable panhard is appealing. Thanks for the education on the subject and I'll look out for more info. bookmarked...

Users who are viewing this thread