Odyssey battery install - 21 pounds weight savings

GT500wantabe

Established Member
I installed an Odyssey PC680MJT for a 21# weight savings. I did have to remove the factory battery holder which is part of the savings. Did not see a convenient way with the holder in place. After about 2 weeks no problem starting. I'm sure if my engine had to grind for any length of time I might have a problem. Even after opening the door and doing an HPT flash it still started. And I can't tell that it cranks any slower than the factory battery. This is the PC680 with the metal jacket for auto use.

Don't know why the threaded rod appears to look at an angle. I went back out and they are perfectly straight.

Attachments

• Odyssey PC680MJT.JPG
    Odyssey PC680MJT.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:

GT500wantabe

Established Member

Attachments

• DSCF2917.JPG
    DSCF2917.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 252

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Ok I found the one you are using:

http://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/pc680mjt

So for you to install that battery you pulled the stock bat holder? Do you reuse the factory holddown to secure the Odyssey bat?

Any updates as to performance so far? Still no issues starting and powering the Shelby electronics?

I notice your battery is sitting directly on the factory metal battery stand. I would recommend you put the new battery on a plastic battery tray. It will keep the battery from discharging power to the metal stand and corroding it.

$_1.JPG

Most Honda cars have a tray similar to the one pictured above and should work great with that Odyssey battery.

Last edited:

GT500wantabe

Established Member
That's my battery. No issues so far. As long as it starts the engine then the alternator keeps all the electronics going just fine. I wouldn't plan on sitting very long with headlights on, etc. with engine off.

Probably a good idea to put some kind of plastic tray under the battery. I did not think of the corrosion possibility. But yes, I did remove the factory battery mount. Just didn't see a good way to use it. The two factory mount threaded holes were just the right distance apart. Maybe Odyssey has some kind of plastic mount that would fit this battery better than a Honda mount.

I ordered some 6mm x 1.0 threaded rod from Zoro along with buying 1/8" aluminum flat from Home Depot. 3/16" thick would have been better. I painted it black. I think black looked better. The threaded rod is zinc coated Zoro part number G3704854.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread