Octane Booster

debit_free_2010

Established Member
You guys want to know how much added to x gallons will raise it by y then read the link I posted. The information is there.

I would not call MMT a replacement for race fuel. It is to be used as a bit of cheap insurance with pump fuel of questionable quality. Which is basically every tank you get at the pump. That is why some people run it in every tank.

I dumped in 16oz's every other tank just to keep some MMT in there and get a couple octane points or three bump on the pump gas, I'd add another 16oz when I tracked my car.

Worked well for 3 years.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
The only formula I could find for home made octane booster that sounded reasonable:
100 ounces of Toluene
25 ounces of Mineral spirits (cleaner)
3 ounces of transmission fluid (lubricant)
Supposedly makes you a gallon of octane booster.....

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
Aaron.... thanks.... Still though, can you think of any reason at all...?!?! Why a reputable shop would not recommend any type of octane booster. I was "assuming" the implication was that no octane boosters were any good, but I didn't question them. Even a wild guess no matter how crazy it sounds based off of something an internet hero might have said or anything???

We don't tunes for Torco / Lucas / Whatever. We strictly use it for the added safety.

It does foul out your spark plugs a little quicker then usual however

debit_free_2010

Established Member
OK, then Why not Simply Use Zylene?? It's been Proven Time and Again to work, and it Nevers Fouls or Colors plugs....!

Xylene and Toluene are used in varying amounts for pump gas by the refiners as octane boosters so you'd to be concerned about adding too much and changing the burn characteristics of the fuel.

Other than that, there's no real problem using them other than cost, they're $10-$15 a gallon , and ease of use, if you buy it bulk drum containers you'd need a place to store it.

helloWorld

Established Member
@SilverCoyote, I am no tuning expert, so take this with a grain of salt.

My thinking tells me that a tune will have a maximum global spark value that is programmed in depending on what the OEM or Tuner decides your gas quality should be. Over time, your engine "learns" the appropriate timing based on your fuel quality. These learned values can be lower, or right at the global spark maximum. This is where a knock sensor comes in. If the knock sensor detects predetonation, it will retard the timing accordingly from the learned values. If the knock sensor likes what it is seeing, it might add a couple of degrees to the learned value, possibly bringing timing up to the global maximum.

My thinking would say that if you are running 110 all of the time, but your global spark value is set to that of 93, you won't be getting much gain out of the 110, except for the fact that your engine will never be retarding timing.

Take for example I have a global spark maximum of 27 degrees. I am running pump 91 that is not the best quality around. Whenever I go WOT, my knock sensor always retards (positive knock value) 4 degrees. Since I run the same gasoline, my learned value would become 23 (27 - 4*). Let's say I put in a tank of 100 octane unleaded race fuel. My knock sensor is deciding that timing can now be added (negative knock value). Over time, my learned spark value will go back to the maximum of 27, but never higher. But, for example we know that we can push this engine to say, 31 degrees with the 100 octane before predetonation starts to occur. The tune I have in my car now is never going to give that 31 degrees. I will have to get a new tune put in that will change the maximum global spark to 31 degrees.

Last edited:

mikengail

Established Member
Good article on fuels and octane here at this link:

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/1509-everything-you-need-to-know-about-octane/

Makes one view certain octane boosters in a new light, especially Torco. The MSDS sheets for Lucas are almost identical to Torco and Lucas is less expensive.

Torco's website has some nice downloadable charts for how much to mix from a base of 87, 91 or 93 to get to much higher desired octane levels.

Of course, we're all talking R+M/2, vice Motor Octane or Research Octane. The latter was used, after WW2 all the way until the mid to late 70's when the R+M/2 method was mandated. RM was higher and most consumers assumed higher was always better.

Hope this helps...

Riptide

Established Member
That was a good read. Thanks for posting.

I would add to it that if you are going to mix fuels it is best to stay close as far as the different stoich values between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread