Octane Booster

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Was hoping to spark some discussion on octane booster. My car is supercharged, tuned to run on 93 octane. Which I use 93 octane fuel. I always "dreamed" of being able to buy some octane booster that is actually endorsed by someone that builds engines etc. Just so I can dump a little in with a fill up, as a tiny margin of safety in case I get some bad gas. Everyone always says Torco, but idk.......

SilverCoyote

Established Member
I would really love to see some links to actual testing, etc. I don't want to throw my builder under the bus, but their comment when I asked about octane booster... There is nothing we would recommend. Just try to use "good" gas..... So, I'm like, let me get this straight, there are no octane boosters anywhere that you would recommend. Their answer... "Nope"......

Also... i brought Stabil up.. again.... the answer was "Nope" and I was like... ?????? I have put Stabil in every internal combustion engine I have owned since I got my drivers license. I didn't question them, but... anyone have any ideas on that?

They were firm on putting nothing in the gas....

Last edited:

mhyjek

Established Member
I would really love to see some links to actual testing, etc. I don't want to throw my builder under the bus, but there comment when I asked about octane booster... There is nothing we would recommend. Just try to use "good" gas..... So, I'm like, let me get this straight, there are no octane boosters anywhere that you would recommend. Their answer... "Nope"......
Torco, boostane are proven pick your choice but they will both change spark plugs orange/red but they both work!

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Lucas octane booster works well for me i use a bottle in every tank full.. Noticed the difference right away!

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Boostane is the best thing you can buy. Much better than Torco. I always have a bottle in the trunk just in case lol

corepwn

Established Member
Used both Torco and Lucas a few years ago successfully. Lucas was significantly cheaper, but seemed just as effective.

SilverCoyote

Established Member
We use lucas here at the shop. Works good

Aaron.... thanks.... Still though, can you think of any reason at all...?!?! Why a reputable shop would not recommend any type of octane booster. I was "assuming" the implication was that no octane boosters were any good, but I didn't question them. Even a wild guess no matter how crazy it sounds based off of something an internet hero might have said or anything???

debit_free_2010

Established Member
Aaron.... thanks.... Still though, can you think of any reason at all...?!?! Why a reputable shop would not recommend any type of octane booster. I was "assuming" the implication was that no octane boosters were any good, but I didn't question them. Even a wild guess no matter how crazy it sounds based off of something an internet hero might have said or anything???

Race car people will tell you 'octane boosters are a band aid' and to run real race gas, That being said, I've ran several cases of TORCO through my old 3v mixed with 93/100 octane pump fuel and it's still running fine. The plugs/heads/exhaust will turn orange , but I've not seen any deposits or had any fouled plugs people claim MMT causes.

THe goos news is MMT is a real octane booster, it was used for years around the world as an octane booster. however one problem with Torco and other MMT based boosters is after the first large dose, you get diminished returns.

From what I've ssen with Torco, 32 oz added to 10 gallons of 93 nets you roughlty 100 octane, adding another can nets you less than half the first gains , so 64 oz of Torco gets you 103 octane .

I have read where adding a small amount of TEL addictive works very well with MMT giving you a real octane boost but I never tried it.

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Interesting....i first started messing with Torco I tried to "crunch some numbers" and come up with a magical amount of ounces of Torco to put in my mustang fuel tank to say, raise the fuel a point or two.... as in 93 to 95. But when i looked over their charts, and started to average things out, it didn't seem to make sense. I'll have to retrace my footsteps on what I was doing......

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Lol. Try VP Racing Fuels Octanium. My ecu gives me 31 plus degrees timing. No knock. ;)

Interesting.... I've been seeing people say their ECU will adjust to an increase in octane. Is this what you are saying? My car is tuned etc., but I'm not a tuner or tuning expert...lol.....

Riptide

Established Member
You guys want to know how much added to x gallons will raise it by y then read the link I posted. The information is there.

I would not call MMT a replacement for race fuel. It is to be used as a bit of cheap insurance with pump fuel of questionable quality. Which is basically every tank you get at the pump. That is why some people run it in every tank.

Users who are viewing this thread