Octane Booster | 92 Octane | NGK Tr6 Questions

Joe5.0

Established Member
I wanted to get some overall opinions from you guys. My car finally got dialed in a few months ago after one hell of a roller coaster ride. We ended up pulling -2 degrees of timing from the initial Lund tune, which eliminated the pinging/detonation issues allowing me to run 91 octane safely....at the time.

Now that the car is broken in (2,000 Miles) and the weather is nice, I have finally started to do some spirited driving here and there in the car. I threw a "random misfire detected" code which is telling me that i am still getting just an ever so slight amount of pinging/detonation still.

I am 100% happy with the power/drivability of the car right now, and really do not want to adjust more than I need to. So here are my questions, and please only answer upon your personal experience.

1) Is it safe on our particular engines to run a high quality Octane Booster in every tank of gas?

2) Should I consider a colder/better quality spark plug than the NGK TR6's?

Essentially I am trying to completely eliminate these issues WITHOUT pulling any more timing from the tune, and/or adding any sort of race fuel or race fuel additive.

But if that's what I need to do, that's what I gotta do.

The car is putting down 713/726 @18.5 PSI on 91 Octane pump gas. DynaPack Dyno Chassis.

Please chime in guys all help is appreciated.

Joe

Last edited:

Myfast70

Established Member
Not sure if you consider Torco a "race" additive I've used it with great success as many others here have too.

aksvt

Established Member
I run the Torco on my Paxton blown 4.6 GT, 93 tune and it works great. I have a 5 gal pale so hopefully I can use it on my new GT500 without any problems.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
+1 for torco the stuff works. And yeah it changes your spark plugs color wears them faster. I change mine often enough to were I could care less . And at $20 a can or less by the 5 gallon I'll take that over race fuel

Sent from my DROID RAZR

mtrsprt

Established Member
The TR6 doesn't have the correct reach for these cars. It will work yes, but the spark plug ground/center electrode will not be extended below the last thread in the head. The plugs need to have close to a 1" reach. The TR6's IIRC are about .750"

breoland

Established Member
The same color that you will see on the plugs will also be on your pistons and pistons are not as easy to change as plugs

Husky44

Established Member
Google what torco does to spark plugs and look at the images

So do you have a recommendation to use instead of Torco? Evidence that your recommendation out-performs Torco? Recognizing that I'm sounding like a smart azz, and not intending to, just would like to hear alternatives that are supported by more than opinion or google-facts.

breoland

Established Member
The op asked for opinions and I'm not sure he is aware of what torco does to your engine internals. I don't think its a good idea and maybe he might consider taking out more timing to not have to use torco.
My question is how much HP is he gaining by using torco...20? Is 20hp worth turning your pistons orange.
What if it was 10hp..maybe taking out a .5 degree of timing may not be so bad.

What mods are done to the car?

breoland

Established Member
Op stated he is at 713 HP on 92 octane and he gets pinging and detonation. I'm kind of curious to see if he got a full tank of 93 octane from the pump if it will still ping/detonate.

Joe5.0

Established Member
Op stated he is at 713 HP on 92 octane and he gets pinging and detonation. I'm kind of curious to see if he got a full tank of 93 octane from the pump if it will still ping/detonate.

93 is not available for me up in Washington state.

Mods:

JLT CF 127MM CAI
FRPP Cobra Jet Mono Blade
Innovators West 10% OD
SCT Xcal3
Lund Tune
Ngk Tr6's Gapped at 0.36
3:73 Gears

I changed my plugs again yesterday, cleared DTC's, and im trying some STP octane booster on this tank of 92 just to see how she runs. Like I mentioned the issue seems very minimal, but I definitely want it 100% taken care of.

Sounds like I am gonna go ahead and give Torco a try.

Thanks guys.

Joe

Joe5.0

Established Member
Yes you can run the torco with every fill up.

Would I need to adjust timing at all?

And how much torco do I need to run to make a 93/94 Mix?

Im not looking for more power by any means, just looking for a safe octane level for my HP/TQ and Boost.

Joe

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
The TR6 doesn't have the correct reach for these cars. It will work yes, but the spark plug ground/center electrode will not be extended below the last thread in the head. The plugs need to have close to a 1" reach. The TR6's IIRC are about .750"

So what are you saying needs to be used?

Also, are you all looking for gas that doesn't have ethanol in it or do these tunes factor that in (or does it even matter)?

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
+1 on the Torco. I was running 16oz (half a can) per tank of 91 octane (which is all we can buy in AZ) in my '13. From the Torco recommended blend sheet, this was putting me right around a 93/94 octane tank average IIRC.

Haven't used it in my '14 yet as I'm still putzing around town under 5K RPMs without WOT. Once the car has over 1,000 miles though, I'll be back to running it again.

Photonut

Established Member
I'd be cautious about running Torco in every tank. As several people have referenced, it's great, but it definitely leaves it's mark over time on your internals. Maybe save it for the track and times when you know you'll be doing some "spirited driving?" Just my two cents.

-Photonut

breoland

Established Member
I'd be cautious about running Torco in every tank. As several people have referenced, it's great, but it definitely leaves it's mark over time on your internals. Maybe save it for the track and times when you know you'll be doing some "spirited driving?" Just my two cents.

-Photonut

+1
I also forgot to mention that it turns your o2 sensors orange and your cats...but hey if they are saying you need it then use it...

Users who are viewing this thread