Obama's to announce new auto mileage, emission standards

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
This might be a repost....

Obama to announce auto mileage, emissions standards
By KEN THOMAS and PHILIP ELLIOTT, Associated Press Writers Ken Thomas And Philip Elliott, Associated Press Writers 57 mins ago

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama's new fuel and emission standards for cars and trucks will save billions of barrels of oil but are expected to cost consumers an extra $1,300 per vehicle by the time the plan is complete in 2016. Obama on Tuesday planned to announce the first-ever national emissions limits for vehicles, as well as require an overall or industry average fuel efficiency standard at 35.5 miles per gallon.

Carol Browner, the White House energy and climate director, publicly confirmed the new initiative in appearances on morning network news shows, calling it a "truly historic" occasion and saying tougher standards are "long overdue."

The plan also would effectively end a feud between automakers and statehouses over emission standards — with the states coming out on top but the automakers getting the single national standard they've been seeking and more time to make the changes.

Obama's proposed change in rules would for the first time combine pollution reduction from vehicle tailpipes with increased efficiency on the road. It would save 1.8 billion barrels of oil through 2016 and would be the environmental equivalent of taking 177 million cars off the road, said senior administration officials speaking anonymously, ahead of the announcement.

New vehicles would be 30 percent cleaner and more fuel-efficient by the end of the program, they said.

The plan, to be proposed in the Federal Register of pending rules and regulations, must still clear procedural hurdles at the Environmental Protection Agency and the Transportation Department. Automakers expressed their support for the plan. "We're all agreeing to work together on a national program," said Dave McCurdy, president and CEO of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers.

Administration officials said consumers were going to pay an extra $700, anyway, for mileage standards that had already been approved. The Obama plan adds another $600 to the price of a vehicle, a senior administration official said, bringing the total cost to $1,300 by 2016.

That official said the cost would be recovered through savings at the pump for consumers and if gas prices follow government projections.

Under the changes, the overall fleet average would have to be 35.5 mpg by 2016, with passenger cars reaching 39 mpg and light trucks hitting 30 mpg under a system that develops standards for each vehicle class size. Manufacturers would also be required to hit individual mileage targets.

Browner, who headed the EPA during the Clinton administration, said the industry told the administration "they wanted to make cleaner cars and what they needed was the government to give them predictability and certainty so that they could make the investments toward cleaner cars."

In a battle over emission standards, California, 13 other states and the District of Columbia have urged the federal government to let them enact more stringent standards than the federal government's requirements. The states' regulations would cut greenhouse gas emissions by 30 percent in new cars and trucks by 2016 — the benchmark Obama planned to unveil for vehicles built in model years 2012 and beyond.

The Obama plan gives the states essentially what they sought and more, although the buildup is slower than the states sought. In exchange, though, cash-strapped states such as California would not have to develop their own standards and enforcement plan. Instead, they can rely on federal tax dollars to monitor the environment.

The auto industry will be required to ramp up production of more fuel-efficient vehicles on a much tighter timeline than originally envisioned. It will be costly; the Transportation Department last year estimated that requiring the industry to meet 31.6 mpg by 2015 would cost nearly $47 billion.

But industry officials — many of whom are running companies on emergency taxpayer dollars — said Obama's plan would help them because they would not face multiple emissions requirements and would have more certainty as they develop their vehicles for the next decade.

Auto executives, including General Motors Corp. CEO Fritz Henderson, and executives from Ford Motor Co., Toyota Motor Corp., Honda Motor Co., Daimler AG and others planned to attend the White House event along with United Auto Workers President Ron Gettelfinger, Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm and California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Browner was interviewed on CBS's "The Early Show" and ABC's "Good Morning America."

__

Associated Press writers Ben Feller and Dina Cappiello contributed to this report.

Original Link: Obama to announce auto mileage, emissions standards - Yahoo! News

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
**** that.

Technically, oil is a renewable resource. I know we are using it incredibly fast, but oil production by the earth didn't just stop when we started using it for fuel.

I think car companies should continue to research alternative fuel (electricity, hydrogen, not E85...) and continue to make Hybrids, but to tell companies they need to make every single car fuel efficient is rediculous.

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
I was going to post this, but under the title "Obama's New Plan To Kill More Americans"

Cafe Standards are a disgrace. Smaller lighter cars result in more deaths. So even smaller, lighter cars = EVEN MORE DEATHS!

George Bush is dick for overseeing the passage of the first Cafe Standards.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
**** that.

Technically, oil is a renewable resource. I know we are using it incredibly fast, but oil production by the earth didn't just stop when we started using it for fuel.

I think car companies should continue to research alternative fuel (electricity, hydrogen, not E85...) and continue to make Hybrids, but to tell companies they need to make every single car fuel efficient is rediculous.

It's not every single car, it's the average across the board.

kens88gt

Established Member
They're out to kill the muscle cars; one of the few enjoyable things in life. They first ought to come up with a real energy strategy rather than the one-offs like this. I think more fed $'s need to be invested in alternative fuels as opposed to killing the high performance market and forcing smaller cars on us. Look what technology has done with synthetic oils; now we need the same for fuel.
Wish someone would start a petition to kill this latest Obama outrage.

Last edited:

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
**** that.

Oil is not a renewable resource. Look up the definition of what a renewable resource is and then find the rate at which oil is regenerated and the rate at which we are using it.

I was going to post this, but under the title "Obama's New Plan To Kill More Americans"

Cafe Standards are a disgrace. Smaller lighter cars result in more deaths. So even smaller, lighter cars = EVEN MORE DEATHS!

George Bush is dick for overseeing the passage of the first Cafe Standards.

Neither Bush oversaw the passage of the CAFE standards.

Thread was started yesterday
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/road-side-pub-17/603073-new-fuel-standards.html

Last edited:

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
I've been wondering about synthetic gasoline. I wonder how difficult it would be to convert ethanol into gasoline?

They are both hydrocarbons, surely there is a process that could break the chains down and reform them into the chains in gasoline. Admittedly it has been a long time since I took organic chemistry, so I don't remember this stuff very well, but it has to be possible.

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
**** Obama. There have and will always be gas hogs. The left over car companies will have 1 or 2 pieces of shit that get 100 mpg and the rest will be what the rest drives.

Just becuase CAFE standard is 34 mpgs doesn't mean you have to buy.

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/road-side-pub-17/603073-new-fuel-standards.html

Silly hippie.

Not So Grande CAFE - WSJ.com
* REVIEW & OUTLOOK
* MAY 8, 2006

Not So Grande CAFE

* Article

more in Opinion »

* Email
* Printer
Friendly
* Share:

John Kerry, take a bow. You may have lost the last election, but at least one of your policy ideas has seen its ship come in anyway. We refer to the Bush administration's recent embrace of higher auto-mileage standards.

President Bush late last month called on Congress to give him the authority to raise Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards (known as CAFE) on passenger cars. Those standards were put in place in 1975 and established today's cap of 27.5 miles per gallon, though it has been the environmental left's long and fervent desire to raise them again to 40 mpg. Candidate Kerry had pledged to raise them. And the Bush administration had long opposed it -- that is, until it agreed earlier this year to set new efficiency standards for "light trucks," including SUVs, minivans and pickups.

The White House has now completed its surrender by inviting a similar change for cars as a "proven way to conserve gasoline." This is where President Bush's new "addicted to oil" rhetoric is taking him and us -- namely, to the government further dictating the kind of cars Americans will be able to drive, even if those cars aren't as safe on the road.

It is undeniable that higher CAFE standards kill people: Larger, heavier cars have lower death rates in crashes. Because automakers have met CAFE standards largely by reducing automobile weight, traffic fatalities in smaller cars have increased. The National Academy of Sciences once focused on the impact of CAFE standards in a single year, 1993, and estimated that they resulted in as many as 2,600 additional deaths. Average car and light-truck weight rose a bit in the 1990s, and in 2002 the Academy wrote that this increase, "though detrimental to fuel economy," had "saved lives in return."

The Bush administration at least recognizes the safety issue, which is why it is also proposing to overhaul the way CAFE operates. Currently, the 27.5 mpg standard for cars is averaged across each automaker's fleet. This has encouraged manufacturers to shrink many of their cars to meet the overall average.

The administration is instead advocating a size-based standard, which it implemented for light trucks. Under this reform, fuel efficiency standards would be applied according to each vehicle's general dimensions, meaning that larger cars would automatically have lower fuel efficiency requirements than smaller cars. This will certainly remove some of the pressure for automakers to downsize, though "some" is the operative word. Even with more flexibility, manufacturers know the quickest way to get higher efficiency is to shave weight.

The administration would be better off pushing for the reforms without the higher CAFE standards. One political and economic bonus is that this would prevent further damage to Ford and GM, which make whatever profits they earn these days from selling larger vehicles. Tighter fuel standards are a boon for Toyota, Honda and other companies that dominate the smaller-car and sedan markets. Perhaps Congress should call this idea the U.S. Automaker Chapter 11 Promotion Act.

Mr. Bush might also think about what his successor will do. The authority for setting CAFE standards for passenger vehicles currently rests in Congress, which hasn't been able to raise them since the great liberal heyday of the 1970s. Mr. Bush is asking Congress to cede that power to the Department of Transportation, meaning that a future President could raise CAFE standards at will. Hillary Clinton would like that.

As for saving gas, there's little evidence that CAFE standards matter all that much. Americans tend to drive more miles in high-mileage cars, and when gas prices are lower they shift to SUVs and other vehicles that give them space and a greater sense of security. The best gas-saving plan around is today's high prices.

If Americans want to pay what amounts to a virtue premium for buying a Toyota Prius or a Mini, no one is stopping them. But the government shouldn't regulate away the right of other Americans to buy a larger car, along with the greater safety it provides.

Jefe

Established Member
There goes the V-8 era.

Like anyone will be buying new cars in 5 years anyways. Obama is trying to kill the auto industry and I dont think it will fly. Everyone will be keeping what they currently have. I know I will

Damn government....

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
Oil is not a renewable resource. Look up the definition of what a renewable resource is and then find the rate at which oil is regenerated and the rate at which we are using it.

That was not the introduction of the CAFE standards, but instead an augmentation of them. CAFE regulations were introduced in '75. Try again.

Gee where did you read that? I certainly should have included the word update.

ssssnake

Established Member
Oh boy, here we go again. Crap cars.
kingccbra.jpg

Tunink

Established Member
Go US Government Go. GROW GROW GROW GROW GROW GROW.

Take Take Take Take.

Borrow until our dollar is worthless, destroy all of our jobs, bankrupt our nation so we can be reliant on the thing that kills us and destroys this nation. When the world dumps our dollar as their reserve, then you will know true suffering and what a true depression is.

Have fun with your welfare state and the slow killing of America.

kens88gt

Established Member
Gosh, I forgot about the King Cobra...wasn't it something like 140bhp; the thought of that "thing" makes me want to vomit...I remember when it came out I honestly believed performance cars were truly dead. That whole Mustang II thing was awful. Having lived thru those years, I think the current GT500's are the most awesome vehicles ever.

LaFlavor

Established Member
I've been wondering about synthetic gasoline. I wonder how difficult it would be to convert ethanol into gasoline?

They are both hydrocarbons, surely there is a process that could break the chains down and reform them into the chains in gasoline. Admittedly it has been a long time since I took organic chemistry, so I don't remember this stuff very well, but it has to be possible.

Actually, there are many, many companies working on doing something very similar.

Several are even trying to design algae that breakdown cellulose and other plant matter to make diesel, jet fuel, or plain old refined gasoline. There was one article I read a while back in some science publication that even went to far to claim that the process was carbon negative (the bacteria/algae consumed more carbon in the process of making the fuel than you vehicle puts out) so the greenies can't complain about it. This means that the worse your gas mileage is, the better it is for the environment!

SITE SELECTION ENERGY REPORT -- Site Selection Online

How f***in sweet is that!

Users who are viewing this thread