O/R vs high flow catted X pipe performance?

jdinardo03Cobra

Established Member
Hey all,

Just lookin to pick some brains. I currently run a Bassani high flow catted X pipe with a Borla touring catback. I wanted to go louder, so a few weeks back I swapped the cats out for straight pipes. It sounded great but I immediately noticed a significant loss in low end power probably due to the drop in back-pressure/boost, so I threw the cats back on.

Based on that, would it be possible to re-gain that lost low end power with a new custom tune? (the car was custom tuned with the high flow catted setup) Or would a re-tune not matter? I'm not planning to spend the money on a re-tune just for the O/R X, I'm just trying to understand if the loss in low end power is a result of the non-adjusted tune or just a general result of an O/R X pipe. I've done some researching on this subject but I can't seem to find a direct answer... Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!
:beer:

mr. b_98GT

Established Member
I'm curious about this as well. I had my car tuned with an O/R Prochamber that was on it when I bought it, and I'm going to be installing a catted Bassani x-pipe soon. I am going to have the shop turn the rear 02's on, and I'm hoping I'll be able to get it re-tuned. If I have to pay full price for a tune, I'll just wait 'til I change up a few more things before getting it tuned with the cats. Right now, I'm at 467hp/470tq with the prochamber. If I can get it tuned with the cats, I'll report back to see what the numbers say. I think my tuner told me that if i decided to put a catted x-pipe on the car, that it did not necessarily need to be re-tuned; would just need to turn the 02's back on.

bigmoose

Established Member
I cannot give you exact numbers but last year I ran a magnaflow catted-X with a JLT CAI. I swapped in a Prochamber and a new JLT RAI over the winter. I kept the pulley combo the same. the car made the same HP, ~610whp, but the old tune was 18* timing with 93+torco and the new tune is 13* on just 93. Part of this was because i was seeing 1-2# more boost with the RAI.

jdinardo03Cobra

Established Member
I'm curious about this as well. I had my car tuned with an O/R Prochamber that was on it when I bought it, and I'm going to be installing a catted Bassani x-pipe soon. I am going to have the shop turn the rear 02's on, and I'm hoping I'll be able to get it re-tuned. If I have to pay full price for a tune, I'll just wait 'til I change up a few more things before getting it tuned with the cats. Right now, I'm at 467hp/470tq with the prochamber. If I can get it tuned with the cats, I'll report back to see what the numbers say. I think my tuner told me that if i decided to put a catted x-pipe on the car, that it did not necessarily need to be re-tuned; would just need to turn the 02's back on.

Hm yeah please let me know, I'm curious to see what the difference is!

jdinardo03Cobra

Established Member
I cannot give you exact numbers but last year I ran a magnaflow catted-X with a JLT CAI. I swapped in a Prochamber and a new JLT RAI over the winter. I kept the pulley combo the same. the car made the same HP, ~610whp, but the old tune was 18* timing with 93+torco and the new tune is 13* on just 93. Part of this was because i was seeing 1-2# more boost with the RAI.

Good info, thanks for the input!

Knitler

Established Member
You should see some top end gain but loose some bottom. Roughly in an even amount. I remember while doing X vs H pipe research that X tends to also give a bit more WHP (talking 2-3 here on a NA 4.6 4v) and H pipe on average will give the same car 2-3 more WTQ.

I say if you care about stronger bottom end then get the Catted-H, if you don't care and want more of a top end get a cat-less X. Either way we are just talking about likely trading 5HP for 5TQ or vice-versa. So should probably get what you just thinks sounds better. It will never be the deciding factor in a race.

Users who are viewing this thread