O/R h pipe & American thunder mufflers.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
Anyone have any first hand experience on this exhaust setup? I've had a stock mid and American thunder axleback. IMO it sounded great, droned a bit. I've always loved the sound of the pushrod 5.0 with this setup. I've searched YouTube, and listened to clips. Just curious how loud it is in the cabin.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Search boostaholic01 in YouTube. That's my car. There are videos with h pipe and American thunder mufflers. In my opinion they are the best sounding. Sound even better with long tubes an x pipe.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
thanks for the info man! your car sounds awesome! Did you have the axlebacks with the stock mid? Does it drone anymore inside with the o/r h pipe than the stock mid? Either way, i'm pulling the trigger. I guess if its too loud for me I can throw some resonators back on.

D.T.R

Established Member
it will be retarded loud and will drone badly, i had that setup for less then 20 minutes

I have this same setup. O/R H pipe + AT flowmasters and I really like it. Also, it is far from "crazy loud" IMO. It sounds pretty close to GT500 mufflers but with a deeper tone.

ViciousJay

Established Member
I have this same setup. O/R H pipe + AT flowmasters and I really like it. Also, it is far from "crazy loud" IMO. It sounds pretty close to GT500 mufflers but with a deeper tone.

i dont know about that, it droned badddddddd when i did, i could barely hear the radio

D.T.R

Established Member
i dont know about that, it droned badddddddd when i did, i could barely hear the radio

At what RPMs/MPH ? I have 3.31 gear, and I usually cruise at 70mph which is about 1900rpms... zero drone. The car is quiet like if it was stock... but as soon as I romp on it, yeah it'll get loud but that's how I like it :-D

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Only drone I got was when I went long tubes and x pipe. It drones around 55-60mph if in 6th gear. It's far from crazy loud too. Sounds mean as shit. I wish it was louder. I guess jay don't know know to drive and that's why he got drone?

ViciousJay

Established Member
At what RPMs/MPH ? I have 3.31 gear, and I usually cruise at 70mph which is about 1900rpms... zero drone. The car is quiet like if it was stock... but as soon as I romp on it, yeah it'll get loud but that's how I like it :-D

at that time i had a 3.31 gear as well, just street driving it was horrid

Only drone I got was when I went long tubes and x pipe. It drones around 55-60mph if in 6th gear. It's far from crazy loud too. Sounds mean as shit. I wish it was louder. I guess jay don't know know to drive and that's why he got drone?

:lol1:

D.T.R

Established Member
at that time i had a 3.31 gear as well, just street driving it was horrid

:lol1:

Yeah during street driving, at higher RPMs, and more shifting I can see it being more noticeable/audible ... but on the hwy it's really quiet. The 5.0 is actually my wife's and she drives it more than I do, and I know she would bitch my ears off if the exhaust was loud or droned a lot, to the point where I'd have to get rid of it... but that's not the case.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Yeah during street driving, at higher RPMs, and more shifting I can see it being more noticeable/audible ... but on the hwy it's really quiet. The 5.0 is actually my wife's and she drives it more than I do, and I know she would bitch my ears off if the exhaust was loud or droned a lot, to the point where I'd have to get rid of it... but that's not the case.

i couldnt hold a conversation with musclefan21 or my wife so i ditched it

Evilwayz

Established Member
I just put leathal o/r pipe and flowmaster A/T on lastnight. I think i messed up this thing is SOOOOO LOUD . The drone in the car is BAD

mhyjek

Established Member
thanks for the info guys, just ordered my O/R h pipe!
You are going to regret it not because of the loudness but the sound changes from a lower pitch rumble to high pitch metallic like sound pass 4k rpm. I had cat deletes for one day took them off and returned them. If you would have searched their are a ton of threads regarding flows. ORX pipes sound great with most axle back systems because they are not like flowmasters which generate their characteristic noise by exhaust flow once change the amount their sound characteristic changes this directly from a tech at flowmaster when I installed the cat deletes and wanted to add resonators in to change sound but he said no go only gets rid of unwanted frequency of sound but can't change the way the muffler sounds now...

And I'm not afraid of loud my current system is SW LT's catted xpipe and retro chamber mufflers pretty loud but also make an awesome sound!!!

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I lasted about two days with offroad x-pipe not resonators and american thunder axle backs. I liked tha american thunder with no resonators and after cat x-pipe, but the cat delete was just too much.

I reinstalled stock axlebacks and ordered gt500. They have been on for a while now and I love the sound they make, with zero drone.

Last edited:

calebnumber3

Established Member
I have the American thunder catback with stock cats and exhaust manifold. love the sound! crusing down the highway you can hardly tell they are there at all

Users who are viewing this thread