NYS Compliant Exhaust

88stangnut

Established Member
I have been looking to buy a cobra but most of the ones that i have seen are not in NY and most have modified exhausts. Just looking to get an idea from fellow NY'ers on what is going to pass at the inspection station. Does it have to have cats? Are Headers ok? I'm Guessing that a catback system is ok.

I just don't want to buy one to find out it wont pass inspection and have to drop $$ to redo exhaust

prs97

Established Member
I passed fine in mine with BBK LT headers, BBK catted-X, & Borla catback but no other mods.

Good luck

toomanytoys

Established Member
Do they do visuals where you are? If not then a off road x will pass as long as you dont have a CEL or pending codes

stangfreak

Established Member
You can change the cat back with no problem at all. My dealer even told me back in 2003 that he wouldnt even void my warranty if I had a catback on the car and something happened. I have long tubes, prochamber and magnaflows and I pass emissions =)

mustangmike01

Established Member
No problem with my cars. Mods are in my sign. Most places do not look under the car or put my cars on the lift. Best place is to go is one of those quick lube place. DO not go to one of the places that want you to leave the car. We all know what will happen if we do!!!

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
Just about every New York shop does not care as long as it passes emissions. That said, New York law is ridiculously strict since anything that increases the volume beyond what was installed by the factory is illegal.

bobafett

Established Member
Mine passed with Mac long tubes, and no cats. Its a screaming yellow 04 with 30K miles and is going for sale shortly.

bobafett

Established Member
No problem with my cars. Mods are in my sign. Most places do not look under the car or put my cars on the lift. Best place is to go is one of those quick lube place. DO not go to one of the places that want you to leave the car. We all know what will happen if we do!!!

Hey Mike, we're neighbors. Come out and join us sometime when the weather clears for cars and coffee.

toomanytoys

Established Member
Mine passed with Mac long tubes, and no cats. Its a screaming yellow 04 with 30K miles and is going for sale shortly.

Do you have the downstream sensors turned off in the tune or are you using mil eliminators?

toomanytoys

Established Member
I had to use them too in order to get my car passed. Funny thing is I can only use 1. If I put both on I get a code for circuit resistance being too high

Wallace7666

Established Member
No problem passing with my car. Full Bassani system; shorty headers, o/r x and SS catback. Im in Syracuse, how far are you guys from me?

Noreast

Established Member
It will pass without cats as long as there is no CEL .... BUT it will not pass the visual inspection without them. Unless you know someone. I have stock manifold , catted bassani x , borla stinger and pass no problem. Headers will not be an issue as long as there is no check engine light.

88stangnut

Established Member
Well I buying a 03 Redfire out of Mass. and there inspections are just as bad as NY so I shouldn't have a issue getting it passed once this weather gets nice. I'm in the syracuse area bobafett.

Users who are viewing this thread