NYPD Office shoots attacking dog

snakecharmer

Established Member
cop was in his legal right 100%... but in my opinion... i think YOU SHOOT SOMEONE OR SOMETHING when it endangers your life... I dont think this dog had life threatening danger towards this cop. I think there could have been a dozen of other ways to stop the dog... maybe TASER??? or idk...

So you are telling me that if a dog charges you and you have a weapon you are gonna try something else first? Seriously? That officer had NO WAY of knowing if that dog was gonna sink its teeth into him and rip him apart. He could have been seriously injured. His actions were totally the correct ones.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
If they are doing a legitimate job they have nothing to worry about.

That's not entirely accurate.

cop was in his legal right 100%... but in my opinion... i think YOU SHOOT SOMEONE OR SOMETHING when it endangers your life... I dont think this dog had life threatening danger towards this cop. I think there could have been a dozen of other ways to stop the dog... maybe TASER??? or idk...

It's just sad to see this because I have an all black belgian malinois and they are police security dogs. And she jumps at everyone, people ask to pet her, and i tell them shes not friendly at all... which she isnt.. But sometimes she comes running at someone and i think that it doesnt have to result in the dog dieing...

But enough of my babble, yea i agree the cop was 100% right and was legally able to shoot the dog. But i wish it would happen in a different way :(

You should control your dog better. It's called obedience training, look it up. Our Dept. has two K9's. One of them being a b/m, and she doesn't jump at everyone. Doesn't jump at anyone actually.

You summed up your first paragraph perfectly...idk. Because you don't know, clearly.

Hele On

I'll make it fit
Established Member
So you're saying he shouldn't have shot the dog? :??:

Did you miss the part where the dog went after a lady walking by? That's presumably why the officer advanced towards the dog. The dog changed it's attention to the officer (which is precisely what the officer should be attempting to do) and charged the officer. Sorry, but if you think the officer pushed the issue here just to shoot the dog you're way off.

Your shoulda, woulda, coulda's have one little element missing. The fact that you cannot control what the dog does and who it goes after.

It's not a perfect world man, I don't see this playing out any other possible way. It's unfortunate, but it happens.

I'm saying that the outcome of the incident could have been better, had the approach and securing of the scene had been better.

Lady wasn't just walking by, the officer told her to get back. If she got bit, oh well, follow orders. There is a difference between an attack and a bite.

I never said that the officer pushed the issue to shoot the dog. I feel that his/their approach to the scene was wrong. That limited his/their options and response to the incident. They were on the street approaching the scene. Moving vehicles aren't good to back up into. Try the sidewalk, and as you approach direct people back and away. They should have attempted to secure the scene before moving closer. Slow things down. By that I mean clear people from the area, if that means moving and redirecting people from either direction on the sidewalk, do so. If the dog attempts to defend or attack either officer at least the possibility of accidentally shooting a bystander is reduced or can be articulated in the report.

Exactly what you said, you cannot control the actions of the dog. So why not attempt to secure the surrounding area, until animal control arrives? In an active shooter scenario, it would be best to do the same before you go in.

Again, if they were so concerned with the guy on the ground (seizure/drunk?) then why didn't they render aid after the fact? If they were in such a hurry to help the fellow, they certainly weren't after shooting the dog.

I agree, it's not a perfect world, but we (law enforcement) should attempt to minimize rather than add to the cluster****.

It was unfortunate.

Be safe out there!:beer:

Last edited:

Third Honk

It's OK, I'm Handsome
Established Member
As a dog lover that sickens me to watch, wonder if the dog had any history of violence.

Just as with any offender I believe the officer has the right to end the situation in a reasonable manner that's going to involve the least amount of danger for THEM.

That means if a girl is beating people at school and has complete disregard for authority let the cop check her into the wall when she tries to run, if the offender runs, get's tazed and hits their head on the concrete it's the offenders fault, they put themselves in that situation.

This is just a sucky situation. Can't tell if the dog is scared for it's owner or just aggressive, either way cop has a right not to go home without a bite on his arm. If that was my dog I wouldn't want to wake up from my coma, poor thing was whining and still moving one last time at 2:55. To watch this vid would kill me.

peteypab2133

Established Member
Goofy, but I honestly feel more love for the dog than the homeless person? The dog did not pick his owner, the owner picked him.

Movie made me a bit sad when the dog started stretching towards the end, as if it were going into shock..

forcefed03

9tmare
Established Member
That's not entirely accurate.

You should control your dog better. It's called obedience training, look it up. Our Dept. has two K9's. One of them being a b/m, and she doesn't jump at everyone. Doesn't jump at anyone actually.

You summed up your first paragraph perfectly...idk. Because you don't know, clearly.

I understand training, the dog is just ridiculously smart... but the only job my dog has is to be my best friend... If she was working at the airport like her brothers and sisters then i would train her... but shes perfect the way she is... In my opinion i like her defensive stance all the time. If someone gets near our drive way she can't wait to get out and attack...

When she barks from in the house she has a lighter bark, but when shes out and about, she sounds real mean, much lower toned.

Clearly... not all B/M's have to be trained. Clearly I don't understand. i guess.....

So you are telling me that if a dog charges you and you have a weapon you are gonna try something else first? Seriously? That officer had NO WAY of knowing if that dog was gonna sink its teeth into him and rip him apart. He could have been seriously injured. His actions were totally the correct ones.

No im not saying that... what im saying is, in my opinion of course, is that the dog in that video didn't look like it would threaten the life of that officer... Its just my opinion... some may think a Chihuahua charging at them is a life or death situation...

Last edited:

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member

It's just sad to see this because I have an all black belgian malinois and they are police security dogs. And she jumps at everyone, people ask to pet her, and i tell them shes not friendly at all... which she isnt.. But sometimes she comes running at someone and i think that it doesnt have to result in the dog dieing...

But enough of my babble, yea i agree the cop was 100% right and was legally able to shoot the dog. But i wish it would happen in a different way :(

GTFOHWTBS, this is a homeless guys dog so there's no telling what that dog my or may not have. That cop did a good job.

And if I were walking past you and your dog lunged at me it would get the shit kicked out of it, its instinct.

As a dog lover that sickens me to watch, wonder if the dog had any history of violence.

Just as with any offender I believe the officer has the right to end the situation in a reasonable manner that's going to involve the least amount of danger for THEM.

That means if a girl is beating people at school and has complete disregard for authority let the cop check her into the wall when she tries to run, if the offender runs, get's tazed and hits their head on the concrete it's the offenders fault, they put themselves in that situation.

The thing is this was a DOG and not a HUMAN.

forcefed03

9tmare
Established Member
GTFOHWTBS, this is a homeless guys dog so there's no telling what that dog my or may not have. That cop did a good job.

And if I were walking past you and your dog lunged at me it would get the shit kicked out of it, its instinct.

The thing is this was a DOG and not a HUMAN.

Is GTFOHWTBS a 9 letter acronym? damn.

I agree with you, if my dog did lunge at you, i wouldn't blame you for kicking the shit out of it... I wouldn't even blame you for shooting it and killing it... its pretty much in the hands of the attacked... If my dog is out and about on public streets lunging at people, then that is a definite no no.

Bad Chariot

Established Member
I can not get over the crying in the background. ALL those people saw the dog going after the cop and they had to question WHY the cop did it? Unreal. A couple of years ago cops in my parents city just 4 doors down from there a pitbull charged the cop who was there serving a warrant, shot the dog twice.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Damn that sucks, he isn't in the wrong but I personally believe he should have tried to use his taser on the dog first.
But he had to do what he did and shouldn't get harassed for it. Does anyone know if the dog actually died?

BlownAway03

Established Member
What a f&@king pussy. This was definitely not the right thing to do. Screw you guys that say it was. I'm no PETA activist or anything but damn, they could've tried to restrain the dog first or something. He was clearly just trying to protect his owner. Love how after they shoot the dog they keep their guns aimed at him like he's gonna pull out a piece or something. I hope they have those punks directing at school crossings or something before they can get a chance to get trigger happy on a person.

tbi0904

Established Member
What a f&@king pussy. This was definitely not the right thing to do. Screw you guys that say it was. I'm no PETA activist or anything but damn, they could've tried to restrain the dog first or something. He was clearly just trying to protect his owner. Love how after they shoot the dog they keep their guns aimed at him like he's gonna pull out a piece or something. I hope they have those punks directing at school crossings or something before they can get a chance to get trigger happy on a person.

Restrain it with what? Cops were doing their job, protecting themselves and the public. Dog was aggressive and got dealt with. I don't like to see animals get hurt either (or people) but get real, it's a dog.

Last edited:

JaysonMFK

5.0 Fanboy
Established Member
I think they should have tried to negotiate with the dog.

Agreed, they should've immediately brought in an expert negotiator.

dog-whisperer-cesar-millan.jpg

Serbian6er

Established Member
i love my dog more then anything, and i feel terrible but i cant say this man is completely wrong
i mean that dog attacked, he just probably got scared and shot him, im sure if u ask him now he feels bad
i mean wtf is he supposed to do? if he let him attack , the other cops wouldve shot him either way
it sad, and i feel like shit watching it, but u cant go and say this cop is a bad cop

again i love my dog, hes tattoed on my arm, hes like a kid, and id kill for him
but the cop really had no choice if u think about it, if he didnt, im sure the other wouldve shot him right away

Users who are viewing this thread