NYPD Office shoots attacking dog

rust0r

Established Member
I think it happened yesterday, haven't seen it posted though.

NYPD Officers shoot a homeless mans dog that was trying to protect him while Officer's tried to give him aid. Dog ends up nipping at a lady and charging one of the officers, who fires his weapon and takes the dog down. I'm unsure wether the animal lived or not but I would wager that it didn't.

People like the screaming lady kill me; "WHY DID YOU SHOOT THE DOG", forget the officer that was about to be attacked by it, or the homeless guy that reportedly was in need of medical attention on the side-walk, won't somebody think of the vicious animal! Maybe if it had latched onto her forearm she would feel differently.

I do hate these cell-phone vigilantes, "call it in, turn it in to headquarters", everyone is out to be superman these days. I feel bad for legitimate hard working cops that have to worry that every move they make could lose them their job because of someone that has nothing better to do than freak out over incidents like this. From what the video shows, I'd have to say a pretty good job was done by the officers given the situation. The bystanders definitely didn't help by yelling and crowding the dog before it attacked either.

[youtube_browser]Xy58M6-XPNQ[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

MYFSTSVT99L

Ingot 2012
Established Member
the dog went after the cop and the cop had EVERY right to shoot the dog. sad but that's the way it goes

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
Dog should have bit the cop for not attempting to help the man. Hell, the dog did a better job at helping than the cops.

gamebred26

Established Member
ima a dog lover. but some people need to get a grip. its a dog. a food item in other countries.lol.

looked like a pit or pit mix too. if i was a cop im not waiting to let it bite the **** out of me either. sorry. cop was right in this one.

dog was doing his job..and so was the cop.

Last edited:

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
To my knowledge there is no use of force policy for attacking animals. I for one wouldn't be getting chewed up and risking rabies for some homeless guy's dog.

I can see people saying "he should of tried to taze it first"

mustrans

Established Member
yeah some people are stupid. Im a dog lover too and it sucks to see a dog or anyone suffer like that, but for goodness sake someone help that old man. Worry about the mutt or your reason for shooting him later.

04ScSaleen325

Established Member
Unfortunately thats an every day occurrence on that job in the city. more so in brooklyn and the bronx, but that happens everyday

stangposse

Established Member
I'm not going to go nuts over this dog's death....this one seems legit. THe cop might have been deformed for life if he got bit. DEFINITELY not as bad as many of the ones we've seen in the past. Very unfortunate...and for all we know the cop might have been a dog lover himself.

I do hate these cell-phone vigilantes, "call it in, turn it in to headquarters", everyone is out to be superman these days. I feel bad for legitimate hard working cops that have to worry that every move they make could lose them their job because of someone that has nothing better to do than freak out over incidents like this. From what the video shows, I'd have to say a pretty good job was done by the officers given the situation. The bystanders definitely didn't help by yelling and crowding the dog before it attacked either.

^^^^ This is a moronic statement of the highest order. You really need to use your head a little, stop nuthugging and ignore the Jerry Springer crowd.

First....a cop worth his salt isn't worrying about whats going down on camera...he should be doing his job the way he was trained to do to the best of his abilities/judgement. Second.....there is nothing wrong with a camera being there. Its a good thing. The cop might need the video to justify his actions and defend himself against false claims....OR.... if a cop was out of line and killed someone for no reason it can be used to help a victim get justice.

PETA doesn't have much of a fight with this one. However...if that camera wasn't there you can bet your ass that eyewitnesses would have twisted that up big time and PETA would be laying into the PD even harder.

ctrlraven

The Birdman
Established Member
I'm a big dog lover and own 3 (have 2 beagle/blue tick hound mix and a pit bull). Really sucks to see something like that but don't get me wrong I understand the officer felt threaten and did what he felt he had to do to protect himself and the other officer.

rust0r

Established Member
^^^^ This is a moronic statement of the highest order. You really need to use your head a little, stop nuthugging and ignore the Jerry Springer crowd.

Clearly you are of higher intelligence than the rest of us, your ability to use insults as opposed to expressing your views in a civil manner proves just that. Thank you for your input.

To the others contributing to the discussion in a normal fashion, I think this happened on the 14th (2 days ago) and there was an update shortly after that the dog was in "Critical but stable condition", bystanders have reported they think the homeless man was having a seizure.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Nice shot.

I wonder what that lady screaming would have done had the dog tried to attack her.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
COp was in the right. Dog ran after him, he fired a shot. He didnt know the dog, the dog was protecting his owner but still. Cop had to defend himself.

Users who are viewing this thread