Numbers?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
No matter how you slice it, both cars are wicked and serious track monsters. BTW where's the selfie??? I see a pic of the gauges showing 6th gear @ 147 mph how do we know that was a pic during the actual hot lap?

To add.....there were only 3 people present for the record run, and they were all FoMoCo employeeso_O

To simply say GM somehow cheated, while Ford set a lap record while "not even trying", with only company employees present, while taking selfies on the one and only lap just seem a little far fetched, no?

Just sayin

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Since the media and writers were all there I’m sure there’s plenty of witnesses for the shakedown lap. I do believe BJ was asked if he could have gone faster.

You are correct BJ has hundreds of laps in the street GT and probably many in the GT at VIR.

Yes we all know that all manufacturers test and tune for lap times but there is plenty of differences. Such as Porsche driving down their GT2RS running laps then driving back vs Ferrari trailering their 488 Pista with 5 Ferrari engineers/tuners to get the best time and then trailering it back. One is not like the other.

As for the differences, let’s ask DBK/editors/engineers who have seen both Ford and GM in action.

Homer? I can’t stand what Ford has done the last 3 years. I’m more likely to buy a Tacoma, JL, Charger as I am with any Ford.

No media present. Just Ford employees.

Ford Accidentally Set a Lap Record With the GT at VIR

Wasn't Ford taking the interiors of their trucks out to get the highest tow rating? Check
Didn't they send a modified 2nd gen GT up against the Enzo and Carrera GT? Check
Getting called out by Edmunds for sending them cars with special test tires to boost their performance? Check

Like I said, they all do it.

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

Wasn't Ford taking the interiors of their trucks out to get the highest tow rating? Check
Didn't they send a modified 2nd gen GT up against the Enzo and Carrera GT? Check
Getting called out by Edmunds for sending them cars with special test tires to boost their performance? Check

Hey man, Ford dien doo muffin!

LostM

Established Member
I fully understand racing, you just don't understand how tests are done when 2 competing cars are not available at the same time so a time gathered by testing is a guide to what the car can do. What your car can do in your hands could be better or worse than the testing done by reputable media conducting those tests. YMMV as they say.

Again for the final time, get your car and go ZR1 hunting (before you mod), this discussion is done.

Ok, take you daily driver, head oit to an abandoned road in April on damp but not raining day, around 2-3pm, record its best time

Then take to the same road in November, sunny and dry, before noon. Tell me if its the same ET/MPH..

Same car, same driver, same road, yes?

Cman01

hello
Established Member
And since when do performance tests conducted on damp/wet pavement??? Maybe they should've tested the ZR1 in the rain then and the Shelby in the dry so the acceleration times will be the same for both cars. LMAO that will be the only way the Shelby will have a close acceleration time to the ZR1.

The words "comparable, on the same pavement" again has no meaning to you...……...can you just order your car and run the thing???? Your BS is getting annoying.

LostM

Established Member
And since when do performance tests conducted on damp/wet pavement??? Maybe they should've tested the ZR1 in the rain then and the Shelby in the dry so the acceleration times will be the same for both cars. LMAO that will be the only way the Shelby will have a close acceleration time to the ZR1.

The words "comparable, on the same pavement" again has no meaning to you...……...can you just order your car and run the thing???? Your BS is getting annoying.

Ohj...so now you want to start controlling/minimizing variables and create favorable conditionsfor both?

Thanks for making my argument for me

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Did you read what you posted??? Yeah according to what you replied with I want wet roads for the ZR1 test and perfect sticky glue dragstrip pavement for the Shelby test. You are lost, M.

Isn't there an order guide for you to check out??? Why don't you print it out and sleep with it tonight instead of continuing to post up BS, remember you started it because you said this Shelby will beat a ZR1 stock and you should know that's not the case.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Home slice, I'll run anyone. I don't care. It's just a car and it's meant to run. People saying, "COME TO THE POCANOS!" is not an offer I care to entertain.

I'm not the one ducking a run. I'll run any / all mustangs / cars. I live in New York City. Not one of you has actually PM'd me to do so. So yeah, keep saying I'm dodging .....

Get em!!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

It was driven the morning of the cd test with the explicit instructions to save tires. I was under the impressions cd employees were there during the lap.

Evidently Ford has not done that in a while.
I mean ultimately there is no reason to be butthurt. People put WAY too much stock in what these cars will do in any given test. People will flip out over one test or another, but there are so many variables that they are all basically useless.

Look at the C&D lap. Personally, I think that lap from Colwell looked pretty damn good for a magazine driver. I'd be willing to be about 98% of the people who will dog his lap time couldn't do better. I've driven VIR, and there's no way I would drive this car that hard there because the penalty for error is way too high. And yet still, his time is definitely nowhere near what he could probably do given more than a few hours with the car.

Then you get ole Billy J waltzing in wearing ****in flip flops and a t-shirt and obliterating the lap record in the same car on the same day Dodge presumably spent a fair amount of time trying to set. Johnson is not human. Guarantee you GM spent days getting their time out of the Z07 there.

And Ford, to their eternal detriment, NEVER sets up cars for magazine tests. They'll adjust the tire pressures. That's it. It makes me want to throttle the marketing department when these guys send out whatever ragged-out marketing car with a jacked up alignment and busted shock and dead fuel pump is sitting in the back lot available (see: horrible MT test, and they ****ed that one up twice!). Like I literally do not understand how this is a thing with them, but I digress. All I have to say for proof is "Mach 1 SUV."

That said, I'd be shocked if the GT was faster than the ACR on a shorter, less flowing track. GT is under-tired in the front and has no park bench so it's never gonna be a pure lap monster like the ACR is. I just do not see GT being faster somewhere like Laguna Seca. VIR is a good track for bullshitting because I would say it's the most demanding and varied track in the U.S.

The only way to ever truly compare these cars is to have same day, same driver, factory spec alignment, factory spec tire, factory pressures, same fuel load, etc. Basically, this is unpossible. And even if your car is faster or slower by a second, who gives a shit? Mortals don't race their road cars and then obsess over fractions of a second.

The video series I'd most like to see it's guys who argue on the internet about lap times in their street cars racing 20 year old club racers in Spec Miatas. Like "are you smarter than a 5th grader" but "are you faster than a Miata."

Last edited:

LostM

Established Member
Did you read what you posted??? Yeah according to what you replied with I want wet roads for the ZR1 test and perfect sticky glue dragstrip pavement for the Shelby test. You are lost, M.

Isn't there an order guide for you to check out??? Why don't you print it out and sleep with it tonight instead of continuing to post up BS, remember you started it because you said this Shelby will beat a ZR1 stock and you should know that's not the case.

so then you agree, the 2 cars should either be placed head to head, at the same time, or in exactly or as closely controlled scenarios as possible, or 3rd, wait until the the best possible #s are performed across the entire nation and then evaluated, yes?

Users who are viewing this thread