Now what broke...

04dreamcobra

When it runs, it's fast...
Established Member
I was setting in the garage letting the car idle and checking out everything after a wideband install. And all of the sudden smoke start rolling from the engine bay on the passenger side. I turned the car off and started looking for a fire and there was none. But a nice size puddle under the car. A thick yellowish green liquid. It had got on the side of the motor and on the headers and smoked like crazy. Can't identify the source though. It doesn't taste sweet and doesn't look like oil. So any thoughts? I think it could be coming from a line that runs next to the motor. See pictures for more info. Pictures wont load. But here are some PDF's of the pictures. Will work on them more later.
View attachment leak.pdf
View attachment view.pdf

Last edited:

04dreamcobra

Established Member
I agree. But it very bitter vs the sweet taste it usually has. Normal? And it is a lot thicker than normal. Im no mechanic though and anything is possible...

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
Some coolents are offered with a more bitter taste to deter animals and people from consuming it. What he said ^

Last edited:

04dreamcobra

Established Member
ah. ok then. I recall the old coolant prior to the change being sweet. But I don't think I recall what was added. I may "test" the container then to see. HA. The hard part is I can't find a source. It appears to be sprayed based on the coverage. so i would suspect a line or something. Any thoughts on that?

big dad

Established Member
Does the AC still work? My guess is an AC line that broke and dispelled the refrigerant. There's a line on that side of the car that runs along the frame rail to the evaporator. Also the refrigerant has color to it like you described because there is a dye added to it.

04dreamcobra

Established Member
I havent tried the AC yet. But one of the lines that seems to be in the middle of the mess is an AC line. That was a thought. And it does have the mod. I checked it thoroughly. It is in good shape. I thought it was the problem at first. So the AC would have the green look to it?

04dreamcobra

Established Member
Got to work on it a bit. Pulled the air intake out of the way just to get a good look. Could find anything off other than a line setting directly on the header. It has the heat wrap on it So it may be busted underneath. Put everything back on and started her up and watched closely. No smoke this time. No leaking either. Got it up to temp and blasted the a.c. the whole time. Still no smoke or leaking. But also no a.c.. I need to look and see what line that is on the header. It is likely the line as described above. I hope that's all it is. It runs into the cooler up front With a second conection directly above it that looks the same. I need to research a bit. Still can't get my pictures to work...

04dreamcobra

Established Member
So it looks it the condensor to evap line. 2R3Z*19835*AA. The area in question is wrapped in heat wrap and feels like a soft line behind it. It was setting on one of the headers. I think it's the problem.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
that was what crossed my mind, when I started the car after installing long tubes we saw smoke from the pass side and shut it down, luckily no harm done. I ziptied that soft line to the hard line running above it and it pulled up out of the way enough to be ok. Make sure you add enough oil back into the system so it doesnt take out the compressor

04dreamcobra

Established Member
I have never messed with the AC system so i will likely recruit some help or let a shop finish it after the new line is installed. I have been fighting with this car for the last 6 months. I just want it ready for Mustang Week. HAHA

Users who are viewing this thread