Now catless, hate the exhaust note.

Chris_Red_V8

Shiny.
Established Member
On my new motor I've been pleased with everything but the sound.
its raspy. Way raspy, so much so I just hate how the sound "trumpets".

The setup is
Magnaflow Competition Catback
Boss302 midpipe (had to cork the sidepipes though)
Jegs cat deletes
factory manifolds
11.5:1 boss302 style motor.

Recommendations on how to get back to a nice sound?

-install cats
-change to GT500 mufflers or other
-add some other muffler in center

What else can I try, or does anyone have examples of a catless coyote that sounds good?

I'll get some video today of my setup today. I really do miss how it used to sound with cats and the sidepipes open.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
Go to hi flow cats. I have long tubes with cats and I don't think I would like the way it would sound without them.

acrbill

Established Member
I think the factory resonators go a long way in keeping the sound in check. Perhaps you can put some glass pack mufflers in the same area as the stock resonator go.

REPCobra10

Established Member
I have Magnaflow O/R X and Magnaflow Competition C/B. I liked the deep tone when I first installed it, but it got old real quick because it was very raspy and far too loud, as well. I had my local exhaust shop weld two bullet mufflers into the piping just before the axle and I could not be happier. My car sounds much better and I'm much happier with it now, being that it's my daily driver. It has a very clean and crisp sound now. There is no rasp or popping and it retains that much desired deep exhaust note. I hope this helps...

BPatterson

Established Member
GT500's. I have an orx, deleted resonators, and flowmaster outlaws. Mine trumpets as well. Swapping to the GT500's will cure it. It's just the style of muffler we run that causes it.

corepwn

Established Member
For the most part these cars seem to be like LS1s and generally sound like crap at anything except idle, cruise, and WOT.

I'm not sure if it's the alum blocks, the firing order, the muffler placements or what. I used to think that no mustang v8 could sound bad, but I guess once Ford got the NA performance above GMs, the part throttle acceleration sound went to shit lol.

I now have stock manifolds, OR-H, stock resonators, and GT500s. It's not terrible rasp but it's not nearly as smooth as the older 4v 4.6 cars.

Squamishcoyote

Wheel Hoppin
Established Member
I think it's in the muffler placement, on the older cars the muffler was in the middle of the car and had a long length of pipe after them... I'm tempted to put in a set of 40 series at the straight section of pipe right after the x-pipe

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Try a set of 3 inch Bullets as resonators. They cut down the rasp quite a bit. I have tons and tons of videos with my various exhaust experiments on my YouTube channel down there in my sig.

Mike

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
JBA 3inch high flow cats...in place of the cat deletes....I HIGHLY recommend them

Sound amazing

atistang

Established Member
somewhere (cant remember if its svtforums or other forums) there is a list of different exhaust clips

the cleanest best sounding setup without long tubes was offroad x pipe, deleted resonators, and gt500's

ill try and find the clip, but it sounded mean and clean

Users who are viewing this thread