Not your typical "What gears" question.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
if you run 3.27s it's best to have a steel flywheel correct? to get off an idle in traffic?
i have noticed with mu stock 3.55s i would have to rev it up ,or it would die sometimes..really embrassing

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
So are the 3.27s/3.08s helping TS guys get traction from a stoplight on the street? In theory it sounds logical, but I'd like to hear from the guys who've done it to see what truly happened.

RoadRash

Established Member
I'd really like to hear from someone who has done it. I am really close to doing it myself.

I'm thinking of getting some 28" DR's to see what the effect will be. With my 3.73's it will be closer to a 3.46 effective gear ratio. But I'd really like some 3.27's ...

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
I have a stock T56 and I had the 03 IRS in my car with stock 355's. I switched the rear to a solid 03 GT rear with 373's and loved it. My car lost a good amount of weight ditching the IRS and the lower gear felt very nice. The 03 rear end was too wide for my SN95 causing even my 285/35 18 Michelin PS2 street tires to rub so I switched my rear end with a SN95 Cobra thinking it had 355 gears. When I drove my car at first I could immediately tell something wasn't right. I researched it some more and found the SN95 Cobras came with 327's. So yeah now I have a T56 and 327 gearing. I haven't sprayed my car on the street because I need the proper window switch and a bottle warmer plus I haven't gotten around to putting on new rear tires yet. I want a little more out of my current Michelin street they're almost done, and I have been undecided about which tires to get and I'm waiting till after Christmas to do a few mods also. So basically my expierence with my T56 and 327 gears is on my blower numbers only.

I could tell my car lost a little umph in first gear when I first made the swap and if I take off at too low of an rpm in second like less than 2,500 rpms it will bog for just a milisecond. Still these cars are so torquey I can still blow the tires off in first, second, and third since my tires are fairly worn. So it's not like they made my car slower my any means. I really seem to feel the loss of power by gearing at highway speeds. However the good thing is with a nice long pull with a high power car is that while others are shifting I'm just pulling away :) The highway cruise rpm in 6th is very nice and smooth and quiet and it still pulls hard in all highway gears. I'll say this I have considered what all I want to do with my car in the future and I have considered ponying up $400 to get 373's again, but at the end of the day I keep thinking I'll go twin screw someday. I can afford to I just don't know if I need / want to spend the money on it. I think I can keep my car a nice street car and get into the 10's with the eaton so why bother since that's plenty for me now days. I think lower gears would make my car a little quicker right now with good tires, and some suspension work, but I am daily driving my car and my goal is to run 10's at the track, and perform very well on the street from a roll and a dig. From a dig the gears help. I have been taking off rolling into the gas to redline in first but not pushing the gas hard enough to spin the tires if I run from a dead stop. Now taking off from a dead stop and driving upto redline in first with this gearing even at my power level and with this gearing I can leave most cars in the dust to almost 50mph and then jump on the gas harder in second which usually spins to about 80mph but still hooking just enough to keep on movin pretty damn fast. I haven't come across anything that could hang with me yet like this on fairly bald street tires. I took my neighbors 2010 cammed SS with longtubes tuned by Hennessy in Houston from roll in second at 30mph the other day. I put two lenghts on him before I hit redline at 80mph while spinning all over the road on concrete pavement. As far as highway.... I took a newer Viper no problem from 60-120 in third which was a low rpm for my third gear.

hope this helps. I'll try to get a good in car video up for you guys if it will ever stop raining.

Last edited:

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I have 3.27's and stock flywheel.,. no issues :thumbsup:

note.,. can't remember if stock is steel or alum :shrug:

RoadRash

Established Member
still waiting for a reply here ....:shrug:

Aluminum Fidanza FW, I can take off just off idle without any problems. I barely rev it more than when I had 3.73's in there. Its not as much difference as you might think. I think the difference between stock and 3.27's would be even less noticeable ..

cobra=trouble

Established Member
I have 3.27's and stock flywheel.,. no issues :thumbsup:

note.,. can't remember if stock is steel or alum :shrug:
good thanks ..i got a spec. 3 plus but have not install it yet due to cold weather.was just wondering how that combo was going to work out ..with all the problems people where having with with spec 3 plus and alum flywheels. if i can get my stock alum resurfaced could i use it ..thanks i'am new to these hi powerered cars
i got a 03 cobra with the 6 spd.appx 600 rwhp

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
good thanks ..i got a spec. 3 plus but have not install it yet due to cold weather.was just wondering how that combo was going to work out ..with all the problems people where having with with spec 3 plus and alum flywheels. if i can get my stock alum resurfaced could i use it ..thanks i'am new to these hi powerered cars

I don't know, hopefully someone who has that combo will chime in :-D

Digital

Established Member

The stock flywheel can be re surfaced just be very careful as you dont want to take too much off.
I have the spec 3+ with a aftermarket flywheel I think it's like 2#s lighter then OEM and it's aluminum, works fine and I have 3.27s.
BTW all 03/04 cobras came with a 6 speed.

Users who are viewing this thread