Not your typical "What gears" question.

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
What are your opinions on switching to a lower gear ratio such as 3.08 or lower for high HP cars, such as KB/Whipple 600rwhp+ Cobra. I am just thinking that if wheel spin is pretty bad, would that car still pull like a mother but maybe be a little more sure footed in the back? Correct me if i'm wrong, but I would like to be able to hook up from a stop, on the street, with street tires and smoke everyone. Has anyone does this? I couldn't find any threads about this so discuss! :read:

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I had 3.27's put in mine :thumbsup:

I had 3.08's, but they bogged a little in first and the guy who put them in did a bad job, so, there was bearing noise.,., so I went 3.27's and love them.,., :-D

Wayne64SS

Established Member
did the 3.27s bump your mileage any? it doesn't matter really but i was j/k. I too am considering gears but don't know which way to go with them. IE 3.90s or 3.27s.

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I agonized over this for about a year before I chose 3.90's. I really think it comes down to how you drive the car.As my DD I wanted a gear that was easy to get the car off the line with and would put me at about 2500 RPM at 80MPh that was 3.90's . IMO the car will act the same way certain gears no mater how much power you have.IE 3.27's will run xxx RPM at a given speed regardless of HP. With the 3.55's and Alum flywheel I had to run up more RPM to leave at lights in traffic and had to shift into 1st more often ,also 6th was near usless at any thing less than 75.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
damn, that's 6800 RPM

Nothing wrong with 6,800rpm. :rockon: There's plenty of power up there
with a KB and these tank-like engines can handle it. :rolling:

I'm running a 3.90 gear currently. I'm going to switch back to a 3.55 gear and
see how that goes. I just don't like how short the gears are on the street
with the 3.90. I don't have any experience with a 3.27 gear for a blower car
though so no help there unfortunately.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Running 3.27's in high horsepower Terminators with automatic transmissions has been done several times before, most notably by JRS BLOWN SNAKE. Not as sure about 6 speed cars, or even 600+/- RWHP Cobras. The 3.55's with a 28" tall tire would probably be best for these applications. JR was running about 900 RWHP.

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
Running 3.27's in high horsepower Terminators with automatic transmissions has been done several times before, most notably by JRS BLOWN SNAKE. Not as sure about 6 speed cars, or even 600+/- RWHP Cobras. The 3.55's with a 28" tall tire would probably be best for these applications. JR was running about 900 RWHP.

I'm hoping to get responses from guys with the 6-speed. Nothing against high hp auto cars and I understand the reasons, but I would keep the manual.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I'm hoping to get responses from guys with the 6-speed. Nothing against high hp auto cars and I understand the reasons, but I would keep the manual.
Understand........You're just not going to find many 6 speed folks that have gone this route, Sniperdog being an exception. A lower gear (higher numerical) generally puts the 6 speed folks through the traps at a more advantageous RPM.

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
I see. I have never been to the track before and really only plan on a couple passes ever; my car would be basically for the street.

RoadRash

Established Member
I have 3.73's in my car making around 600+/600 .. I really want to switch to 3.27's - this is a 6 speed, street driven car and it sounds like the consensus is it will be a good switch.

I would like the longer gears and the higher top end .. I hit 130mph (top of 4th 3.73 gear) rather quickly and don't want to boost 5th for obvious reasons.

Any how to's on gear changes? I'd like to do it myself.

Any further comments from TS owners with 26" tires and <= 3.27 gears??

Users who are viewing this thread