Not quite as stiff as I'd have thought

Mr.Soup

complete modular newb
Established Member
I had my MM full length subframes welded in last night, I suppose I'm use to the old 87-93s where you could tell a huge difference after a set. The newer model mustangs must be a little beefier because it didn't make that huge of a difference. Don't get me wrong I can feel it's a little stiffer, its just not as dramatic of a difference as compared to the older foxbodies.

Callaway Cobra

speeding
Established Member
I had my MM full length subframes welded in last night, I suppose I'm use to the old 87-93s where you could tell a huge difference after a set. The newer model mustangs must be a little beefier because it didn't make that huge of a difference. Don't get me wrong I can feel it's a little stiffer, its just not as dramatic of a difference as compared to the older foxbodies.

Do you have a Vert..? Theres a big difference with a vert.. I cant speak for the coupes..

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
No question the SN95 chassis is stiffer than the foxbody, I agree with your assessment completely. But since we have a stiffer chassis to start, I figure I'll keep on improving it by adding the MMFLSC's and I am planning on installing jacking rails and cross bracing which may add significantly to the overall unibody structure as well as provide generous jacking points w/o screwing up the pinch weld. No matter what, for the cost, it's a good mod.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I have MM FLSFCs and I also agree. I had mine put on like 5 years ago, but I don't really remember noticing a huge difference. I recall the car feeling more solid over bumps and whatnot, but it wasn't anything crazy.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I didn't have sfc's on my old Notch or the Cobra and when I was on the gas with the Notch I was surprised it didn't twist like a pretzel. The Cobra is much better but I still need to add sfc's.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Go jack up the car and you can tell a difference. I can lift one side as a whole now instead of one tire at a time.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Go jack up the car and you can tell a difference. I can lift one side as a whole now instead of one tire at a time.

That is exactly what I was going to post. With FLSFC on the 99 Cobra hardtop, I could lift 3 wheels from one jacking point. No joke.

The 01 stock vert on the other hand is a wet noodle. I can lift one tire and the other three are like they are glued to the pavement.

cobraracer46

Banned
If you don't mind cutting up the floor pan in your Cobra and doing extensive welding, the Griggs Frame kit will provide a very noticeable increase in chassis stiffness. I installed the Griggs frame kit and the difference was dramatic.

omj

Established Member
I could tell a huge difference with my 99 Vert. I bought the Matrix system but it fit like terrible so I sent it back and made my own. Huge improvement.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member

I've never understood this, I can lift up one side of the car at a time,:shrug: no SF's, or other chassis stuff yet (coupe). Opening/closing the doors while jacked up may be a different story, but haven't had to deal with that one yet.

1badblownstang

juiced snake
Established Member
I saw a pretty good improvement with mine, but I thought the cobra was decent already. My fox with FLSFC AND a welded in 8 point cage, boxed to the frame would pop the hatch open in 1st if the car hooked hard, LOL.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member

That's for dame sure. I can get 3 wheels off the ground at times. It's downright scary trying to take the car down when it is on 4 stands.

Mr.Soup

complete modular newb
Established Member
my car is not a vert, but an 01 coupe with almost 100K on it. for the amount of mileage on it im surprised how strong it runs and how rigid the chassis is. the subframe connectors definitely helped. i really noticed it today on my way to work in a few areas on a back road where i really got after it. biggest difference i noticed is when you point it in a direction, it goes immediately instead of feeling the chassis flex a little first. i just wanted to make sure i had a solid foundation before i install the rear bushing kit, gears, and the rest of my exhaust.

M.P. Cobra Fan

Are you my baby's momma?
Established Member
I know what you mean. I love the fact that it pretty much goes where you point it. I went from my 84 Capri to this and stock for stock, those fox bodies seemed like I was driving silly putty compared to the 01.

M.P. Cobra Fan

Are you my baby's momma?
Established Member
That's for dame sure. I can get 3 wheels off the ground at times. It's downright scary trying to take the car down when it is on 4 stands.
Nah man, juts do it a side at a time. Jack in the center point and you are ok. Trying to do one at a time is scary though.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member

no shit!!!!

i always get nevous when doing that..actually in abotu five mins i am gonna put the 01 on jack stands, pour in some stabil, take out the battery and put the cover on for the winter

it's snowing outside right now lol

yeller1

Established Member
You'll probably notice an improvement when you go over your first set of railroad tracks. That's where I noticed it most. Way gooder.

Users who are viewing this thread