not my STi killed a ball-less GOAT!

GotGrunt

Established Member
BlkSVTCobra said:
Maybe, I test drove a pontiac GTO before i got my cobra and let me tell you what for being all motor and no blower, that car is sick! I think if it had a eaton blower or any kind it would take a cobra but then again their in two different playing fields but for real its a awesome car and the interior of the GTO is unmatched! YEAHHHHHHHHH
That motor is built for NA... The Cobra motor is built for boost. Apples and oranges. You can't just "slap a blower" on the GTO and boost the hell out of it. High compression + boost = :burn:

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
GotGrunt said:
That motor is built for NA... The Cobra motor is built for boost. Apples and oranges. You can't just "slap a blower" on the GTO and boost the hell out of it. High compression + boost = :burn:

tell that to the 04 GTO with a turbo/cam setup that was running 11.0s babying it out of the hole. :D

GotGrunt

Established Member
ULTIMATE ORANGE SS said:
tell that to the 04 GTO with a turbo/cam setup that was running 11.0s babying it out of the hole. :D
pics/vids/details please ;-)

mx_9

Established Member
jstevens said:
An STI no matter how you look at it is still a neon.

If a GTO is so quick, then how come the Marauders have smoked more than a few?

My .02

Right. Neons own the world rally stage and are designed with that type of performance in mind. Thanks for pointing this out. I had overlooked the similarity.

RealQuick

Established Member
GotGrunt said:
That has forged internals buddy... I'm talking an LS1/2 with stock internals :dw:

The gto that ran 11.0 @ 122mph had stock motor and stock heads.

GotGrunt

Established Member
RealQuick said:
The gto that ran 11.0 @ 122mph had stock motor and stock heads.
If you have enough money, you can make anything go fast... We all know that the LSX motors have potential. What I'm saying is that it's not wise for a STOCK internal LSX motor to run more than 8lbs. of boost. Even that's pushing it. It's a high compression NA motor, that is all I was getting at...

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
GotGrunt said:
If you have enough money, you can make anything go fast... We all know that the LSX motors have potential. What I'm saying is that it's not wise for a STOCK internal LSX motor to run more than 8lbs. of boost. Even that's pushing it. It's a high compression NA motor, that is all I was getting at...

tell harlan and rob raymer that.

they both ran quite a bit of boost for an extended period on their ls1s and they held up just fine. :-D

one even had over 100k on the motor.

RealQuick

Established Member
GotGrunt said:

I agree...most of the time they shouldnt unless tuned very conservative like the GTO. Being so conservative will limit the potential as you.

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
8950LXSlo said:
I actually like the new GTO; I get weird looks all the time for that comment; but I do. I know its not as swoopy and scoopy as a T/A or even a cobra (not rippin on cobras) but I don't think it's that bad at all. I know its not as fast as an STI or Cobra but for its weight I believe it's a pretty good performer. I don't like the looks of the STI that much to be truthful, looks like its trying to compensate for something for the scoop and that big wing (j/k). And for some it's not always about performance, I think the interior of the GreaT One is amazingly nice. And hey, its quicker than its 60's counterparts; stock for stock. Another reason to own a GTO over a STI is the crowd the STI tends to run with: body kits and undercar neon galore. I know my mustang is slow but I'd rather get waves from other 5.0's and cobras than farts from civics and imprezas, just me though.

Actually the '05 GTO should be faster than a STI, especially from a roll. From a dig of course the STI would shoot out to an early lead but then that C6 Vette, LS2 Engine would run it down. :coolman:

drdome99

I'm here for the vids
Established Member
TORNATIC!! said:
Actually the '05 GTO should be faster than a STI, especially from a roll. From a dig of course the STI would shoot out to an early lead but then that C6 Vette, LS2 Engine would run it down. :coolman:

thats why you shut down at 100 :banana:

silversti

Established Member
8950LXSlo said:
Another reason to own a GTO over a STI is the crowd the STI tends to run with: body kits and undercar neon galore. I know my mustang is slow but I'd rather get waves from other 5.0's and cobras than farts from civics and imprezas, just me though.

That's such sterotyping and ignorant if you ask me. I have an sti and owned a modded wrx previously. I don't know any guys with civics, hate body kits, carbon fiber hoods/gutted interiors, and annoyingly loud exhausts on any type of car. I have attended a fair amount of wrx/sti meets and most subaru owners are not like the honda guys so your comments are not well received.

It would be like me saying that since you own a mustang either you are a redneck or only hang with rednecks. Think about it......that's what happens when you start ignorantly stereotyping people.

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
WyoTechMSA said:
No..uh, no they dont

Uh, yes they do. I have not been beat by an STi on the street yet. And I have only been beat once in the 1/8 and next run I took him. Of course, I have 275 Nitto drags on all the time but I like to bring traction with me! They have AWD so it only seems fair!

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
TORNATIC!! said:

Tornatic, you have dissed me . . . I have spanked many 'o STis at our local track and I'm a slow 2004 . . .

Only one guy got me (Jeff with the modded 05) and he spent $4K in mods on that bad boy! He better beat me . . .

Users who are viewing this thread