Not many Canadian GT500's..........

mrGT

Established Member
R1Lello said:
:read:

What I'm saying is stds in u.s. are different. Again, you must meet canadian laws and stds such as seatbelts, daytime running lights, speedo in kms etc....

Car you want to bring must have these before they allow it to cross over. This means money must be spent. I.e., if speedo is not in kms, you will need to change the dash
Hey, THANKS....I'm learning more and more each day.

But it looks like all the Canadian requirements are easily dealer mods....it just takes money to convert a USA model, right? I thought, maybe, there might have been "under the sheet metal" mods, like bumper, environmental regs, etc.

R1Lello

Established Member
:read:

Yes, 5 mph bumper crash ratings, emissions ( good luck bringing our cars to california if it was the other way around)...........and more I'm sure

SVT04

Established Member
All of this mind numbing :bs: makes me gladder than ever that I bought one of the last 3 04 Cobra coupes available in Canada.....0% financing and all that......
If I had waited I would have been sadly disappointed with the availability and price gouging that you guys are facing.......not to mention that you are going to end up with an ugly car with "Shelby" all over it. You would be far better off grabbing one of the few remaining 04's that are coming up for sale with low mileage.....Freedom Ford in Edmonton has a Mystichrome 04 vert with 18,000 kilometers right now....never been modded either....or they also have an 04 Dark shadow grey Lightning with 8,000 kilometers on it ........ :burnout:

R1Lello

Established Member
SVT04 said:
All of this mind numbing :bs: makes me gladder than ever that I bought one of the last 3 04 Cobra coupes available in Canada.....0% financing and all that......
If I had waited I would have been sadly disappointed with the availability and price gouging that you guys are facing.......not to mention that you are going to end up with an ugly car with "Shelby" all over it. You would be far better off grabbing one of the few remaining 04's that are coming up for sale with low mileage.....Freedom Ford in Edmonton has a Mystichrome 04 vert with 18,000 kilometers right now....never been modded either....or they also have an 04 Dark shadow grey Lightning with 8,000 kilometers on it ........ :burnout:

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll wait if the 07 doesn't work out

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Back when the GT500 was first announced our SVT dealer had me on the line. I almost gave a few $ as a deposit. He would not give an exact price but all he would be firm on is it would be in the upper $50's.

He never said anything about a markup, but makes me wonder now how that would ahve played out.

R1Lello

Established Member
07 Shelby said:
Here's some Canadian Shelby Info that I have.

**The Canadian alotment numbers, that I was quoted by 3 different US SVT Reps at the NAIAS and agreed to by my Mississauga Ontario SVT Dealer, was between 250-280 07' GT500s.

**Here is an Email response I received from my dealer when I questioned him whether it was legal or not for the Dealer to Sell Over MSRP in Ontario:

"Dave, we can sell for above MSRP but only by a maximum of 15% of the total MSRP. but we do have to state on the bill of sale that the customer is willing to pay a premium. it very rarely happens but when it does its usually because of negitive equity in a trade. but OMVIC dictates that we cannot do it without the customer knowing. Dont worry Dave your safe check your bill of sale!" !!! Ontario Only !!!

**There will be NO Shelby's sold outside of the SVT Network in Canada.

**The Canadian 2006 Mustang GT is MSRP $3100 Canadian, more expensive, than the US version.

See Below:

There's been quite a bit of speculation on what the Canadian MSRP will be for the 07' Shelby. To get an idea of price for prospective owners, I did a Price and Build for an 06' Mustang GT on the USA www.Ford.com Site and the Canadian www.Ford.ca Site.
The Canadian Site Lists the Standard 06' GT at 32999 + 1200 Destination Charge = $34199. (I didn't include any ACT, PST or GST)
The Comparable GT model in the US is called a GT Deluxe. It has all the the Standard features of the Canadian GT except that it doesn't include the Shaker 500 as Standard.
USA Deluxe GT MSRP is 25140 US + 665 US for Shaker 500 + 720 US Destination = $26525 US.
Then, using the Royal Bank Foreign Exchange Calculator, I converted the American GT price of $26525 into Canadian $$ and came up with a price of $31103.22 Canadian. ($1 Canadian = $0.8528 American)
Therefore, the 06' US Mustang GT is MSRP $3095.78 Canadian $$, less than it's Canadian Cousin.
($34199 - 31103.22 = $3095.78 Canadian)

If we are to believe that the American MSRP Price is going to be $39999 US for the Shelby Coupe, then a straight Currency Conversion would be $46902.83 Canadian. But, if we take into account the calculation just performed for the 06' GT, the price looks like it will come in at MSRP $51571.43 Canadian.

In conclusion, what we know for sure is, is that Ford of Canada adds on, or hoses Canadians with a 10% Premium after foreign exchange conversion to the MSRP of the Canadian Mustang GT! I believe this will hold true with the 07 Shelby. :cuss:

:coolman: I hope your numbers come close. I was in the business at a Ford Dealership and know all dealers receive their info on pricing at the same time or within a day or two of each other. How some of you are getting $55- $60 K is beyond me...........I think they are guessing as no one has received any figures yet...........and the wait continues.........

Joe Frito

Mustang Freak
Established Member
Mystichrome and Lightning

Freedom Ford has both the Cobra and Lightning listed in the Trader. Cobra for $49,995 and the Lightning for $43,995. Considering both wholesale below $30,000 their price seems a bit excessive. I understand that a dealership wants to make as much cash as possible, but that seems a bit much. Maybe I should try to sell my '03 Mach 1 for $39,000.

fordification

Established Member
man. 55k is not have bad for near 500hp. thank god the horsepower war is alive and well with Ford. now I wonder who will counter with a non-concept?

fordification

Established Member
calgary has 3 dealers. apparently the GT's have dropped from 200 to 50, and only one per dealer. I assume 8 per dealer for the GT-500.

Last edited:

SVT04

Established Member
Joe Frito said:
Freedom Ford has both the Cobra and Lightning listed in the Trader. Cobra for $49,995 and the Lightning for $43,995. Considering both wholesale below $30,000 their price seems a bit excessive. I understand that a dealership wants to make as much cash as possible, but that seems a bit much. Maybe I should try to sell my '03 Mach 1 for $39,000.

Freedom has an 03 Mach in blue on the lot right now as well ...5 spd and 55,000 kilometers ...priced at $28,000 Canadian. :burnout:

VENOMOUSONE

Established Member
Joe Frito said:

I tried to make an offer on this 04 and the best they could do was give me $20,000 for my 01 and not budge on the price of the 04. I laughed and went my own way.

Joe Frito

Mustang Freak
Established Member
Again, I understand that dealers are trying to make a buck, but why is it the vehicles they have on their lots are always worth a premium versus the ones you are trading in. I mean, my Mach 1 has half the miles as the one that they are trying to sell, but I bet there is no way in hell they would give me close to their $28,000 asking price on a trade, even factoring in their rediculous mark up on their cars. Last October they has an '04 SVT Focus on their lot with 8,000km for $28,000! I mean that's what it cost when it was new. It didn't take them long to realize that consumers aren't stupid and brought the price down to a reasonable level. I'm sure you weren't the first or won't be the last one to laugh and walk out of their showroom.

SVT04

Established Member
Joe Frito said:
Again, I understand that dealers are trying to make a buck, but why is it the vehicles they have on their lots are always worth a premium versus the ones you are trading in. I mean, my Mach 1 has half the miles as the one that they are trying to sell, but I bet there is no way in hell they would give me close to their $28,000 asking price on a trade, even factoring in their rediculous mark up on their cars. Last October they has an '04 SVT Focus on their lot with 8,000km for $28,000! I mean that's what it cost when it was new. It didn't take them long to realize that consumers aren't stupid and brought the price down to a reasonable level. I'm sure you weren't the first or won't be the last one to laugh and walk out of their showroom.

I agree actually with the fact that dealers do the "rape the customer" thing...I bought an 03 DSG GT from Freedom Ford and bought it with no trade. Got a decent deal and wanted to keep it. So I thought...then I decided that the Cobra I wanted was affordable after all. Freedom had an 04 in White that I loved...my GT had 19,000 kilometers on it and was perfect.....you would be hard pressed to say it was not brand new. Freedom wanted to bend me over when I tried to deal on the Cobra. They insulted me offering less than wholesale for my GT...they wanted to allow me $20,000 on a car that was exactly 11 months old and cost $33,000......I literally told them where to go and left.....I will never shop there again.
Then a few months later I went down to Healy Ford the other SVT dealer in Edmonton. There were 3 coupes left in Canada and Ford was offering 0% for 60 months......I had them bring me in a White one and got $26,000 for my GT....have never looked back and love the Cobra.
They are out to make money ,that is a given but there is such a thing as ripping someone off and they seem to love it ........ :cuss:

Pony Ride

Established Member
If you can find a private buyer for you car, you would be sure to get more for it.Most dealers will let you then flip the car through them. Here in Ontario, that will drop 15% taxes off that value on the purchase of the new car. I have a couple of very low km trucks I will be fliipping through the dealer soon as Ford sets the price on the Shelby.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
I actually had a dealer tell me to sell my Cobra on my own b/c there is no way he can give me what it's worth. But he is a fairly honest guy.

I was also lucky buying the Cobra, we got 0%, $1000 off (Ford promo), and the X-plan. Plus I got good money on my trade in b/c the dealer had a guy who wanted a vehicle liek I had to pull behind his motorhome.

However, I would not expect to be so lucky in the future.

I also saw the mysti Cobra for sale and thought wtf is the dealer thinking. Who would pay that much for a used Cobra. You could wait until the GT500's come out and pay $8,000 more and get a new one.

mrGT

Established Member
I can see where a dealer can't offer you what he would put the car on the lot for. That only works if he had a buyer waiting in the wings....then I doubt he would offer you more because he will see a chance to make even more money. But if he doesn't have a buyer, then he is taking a risk that he can even sell the car, let alone that there might be something wrong with it that he doesn't detect on his "checkout" ride. With a car sitting on his lot, he is losing money as the car continues to depreciate and his cost of money goes right along with it. So yeah, I can see where they would hedge their bet and offer low numbers on trade-ins.

The best way, if you are wanting to get rid of your ride, is to find someone to buy it and if you live in a "tax offset" state, get the dealer to do a "pass thru" so you can get the tax benefit. My experience on a "pass thru" is that the dealer will charge a small fee for doing the paper work...most don't like doing it because they see it as "losing" money...yeah, right!

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
You should not have any problem getting a Shelby. I heard-from a very reliable source last night- that regular production would start in march with 10000 units planned for 07 model. So, I would think you will see a decent amount up north! :beer:

Requis

Established Member
crispy23c said:
You should not have any problem getting a Shelby. I heard-from a very reliable source last night- that regular production would start in march with 10000 units planned for 07 model. So, I would think you will see a decent amount up north! :beer:

That would be great...but I'm hearing that the early production runs are simply for Special orders for FORD Racing Partners and other Specialty partners, line testing, etc. I thought the production dates were still June time frames. The sooner I can get my car the better....so heres to hoping your sources are better than mine (I have no sources :p )

The 60K number is likely for the VERT, I can't see the coupe going for more than 55K I guess I'd take back my deposit at that point and Buy a BMW...

Cheers,

Requis

Joe Frito

Mustang Freak
Established Member
Calgary auto show

I went to the Calgary auto show tonight with great anticipation at seeing the GT500. While I don't take too much stock in a cocky sales rep that doesn't seem to know too much about the product he sells (he was talking about his SVT focus that came stock with a turbo) here is what he quoted to me, so take it for what it is worth. His stealership (Metro Ford in Calgary) will be receiving the maximum number of GT500's a dealer is allowed to get...six. The price he quoted was $55,000 for the coupe and $60,000 for the vert. His shop has all six cars presold to people on their waiting list, and there are 62 more people waiting, so if I am not on a list at a dealership somewhere there is no way I will be getting a car. When I questioned him on the number coming into Canada, he said the number was bumped up from 250 to roughly 1000 cars, putting it at 10% of total production. Anybody else have any updates???

Gonzo17

I get a kick out of hearing what the sales reps are saying to everyone. It is obvious that without real info available the salesboobs fill the blanks with BS. I have spoken to a rep from all three Calgary SVT dealers and all have quoted different prices, # of cars and said their dealership would get the most cars of the three because they were the largest dealer. You have to wonder how these idiots manage to sell anything when they know so little and lie so much.

As far as alotments of cars, I am just hoping that Canada gets anything more than 150 and maintains the plan to sell only at SVT dealers. That way my #5 spot will have a prayer of getting a 500.

Users who are viewing this thread