Not many Canadian GT500's..........

LSR

2nd To None
Established Member
Just spoke with the owner of Rose City Ford today. Was trying expand my options. We spoke about the GT500 and unlike the U.S. dealers. "The GT500 will only go to SVT Canadian dealers and there are 27 of us". "We are getting only 3 of 500 GT500's coming to Canada". I was like :uh oh:

He informed me that his 3 GT500's are already sold and he has been trying to buy GT500's from other Canadian dealers willing to pay $10K over sticker and no one is selling.

Canadian dealers can not sell to U.S. residents, but can sell to a Canadian resident and then a resideant can sell to a U.S. resident. I have a freind that has been checking for me up in Canada who was going to be my Ace card. but he has validated the info. I got from the owner of Rose City Ford.

With only 500 of 10,000 GT500's between 27 Canadian dealers. Those guys will probably see some record markups. Esspecially with dealers offering over MSRP for the cars to sell themselves.

We in the U.S. are considered lucky to get as many GT500's. And I would have to agree. Not only U.S. buyers will be interested in the GT500.

I am sure GT500's will be seen in other countries other than Canada, so we in the U.S. can't just think that we in the U.S. will be buying only. I know for sure Japanese, Chinese, and Koreans love high HP American cars. As well as Austrailians. Infact U.S. products in Austalia sell for twicw as much. The buying craze isn't just in the U.S. and the car hasn't even came out yet.

I have been told that the GT500 is wanted more over the Ford GT Supercar, mainly due to price, it's a Mustang, and Mr. Shelby's name.

I know most on this site think there will be plenty of GT500's to choose from down the line. But I think those who think that will be in for a surprise.

The GT500 will be all over the eBay market, Barrett Jackson, and dealership owners as well as classic car dealers will be after the car offering more than sticker.

Mr. Shelby's name seems to be popular not just in the U.S.

Pony Ride

Established Member
I got caught up in the sales of the new Tbird 4 years ago when the first ones came to Canada and over half were sold back to the US. I was #2 at a dealer with only 2 cars. I waited for months because they held them back till they could figure out how to stop them being sent back to the US. I will be signing a forum for my Shelby that states no resale for 6 months. It is not legal to sell them for over MSRP here . I think there will be less than 500 cars come to Canada at first but as time goes by they will send more.

Requis

Established Member
Hi There,

I agree those in the US are lucky and perhaps for more than one reason Price depending on how this plays out and quantity!

Okay here goes first post in this forum allthough I've been lurking for well over 8 months...I guess I just never really had anything to chime in on until now so thanks for pulling me off the fence with this post. Simply wanted to add some information as an individual wanting to buy a GT 500 and currently sitting at number two on a list here in Canada with a paid deposit. I have managed to become very good friends with the Sales Manager at a somewhat local Ford dealership. And I thought I would clarify as well that no dealer in Canada can sell at more than MSRP in any province.

And for that reason Ford has been having a tough time satisfying Canadian dealers who want a higher MSRP. With that being said Kudo's to FORD Canada for having represented a reasonable MSRP of $55,000.00 CDN :dw: . What I find interesting is that when I first spoke with the Dealer and was salivating at the opportunity to put a deposit down. The car was sitting at about $50K. So from my perspective the car has gone up 5K with all the apparent demand.

Adding that the dealer did advise that Canada would be getting a little over 13 cars in the first allotment so 13 x 27 dealerships. And that the cars would be delivered in roughly September / October time frames. The dealer indicated that they are concerned about the release of available Cars given Canadian Weather and its impact on demand but that FORD US is dictating US allotment prior to the Canadian release.

Adding that the focus will be measuring US demand so that they can avoid the cross border purchase of Cars making their way into the US.

Thats all I have and again this is simply information relayed to me by the sales Manager that also indicated he would have additional information toward the end of February.

Ohh and I would like to add that the FORD Shelby at the Toronto auto Show is not a SHELBY. Both SVT and the Dealer I am working with indicated it is a re-purposed GT with Shelby lettering. Which is being used for show circuits to build the excitement.

Cheers,

Requis

LSR

2nd To None
Established Member
Well hello Requis, glad to see you come out and give imput. I welcome you as I am sure many others would do the same.

I don't know why it took my so long to contact my Candian buddy about the GT500. Looks like I am too late. Myslef and a few friends have bought over 10 motorcycles from Canada due to the cheaper prices and should have been on top of the whole GT500 thing along time ago.

The owner of the dealership I was in ref. to sid he has offered to pay $10k over sticker I guess because of the high demand he has gotten. I didn't know markups were illegal in Canada, and I am sure the dealership owner is. But it is interesting that he has tried all he could even offering well over sticker to other dealers for the GT500 and has had no success.

I spoke with one of my European buddy and he also along with many others have deposits here in the U.S. for the GT500. Although he drives on the Autobaun everyday and has access to German model cars. He and his buddies crave American Muscle Cars. He has a Porshce Boxter, a new 06 ZO6, and says he can't wait to get his GT500.

The GT500 seems to be wanted all around the world :)

btw: Markups should be illegal in the U.S. as well :nonono:

Last edited:

Joe Frito

Mustang Freak
Established Member
It's too bad to hear about the allocation for Canada. From information that I obtained when I bought my '03 mach 1, Canada would typically receive a 10% allocation of any special model produced (Cobras, Bullitt, etc.) I am also a bit shocked at the suggested $55,000CDN MSRP. Has this price been confirmed? If this car does indeed sticker at $40,000US doing a conversion from Canadian dollars to US would be $47,000. It sounds like Ford is caving in to the dealers to raise the price.

In regards to selling them back to the US, it won't be the same as it was with the T-Bird or with diesel trucks from 4 years ago. Back then, the weak Canadian dollar made it profitable to sell high demand Canadian vehicles to someone in the States. With the dollar hovering at around .85 cents US, our higher MSRP would mean the car is already cheaper in the US, even WITH a dealer markup (around $47,000 US)

I was going to be in the market to buy one of these, but I think I will wait it out. When the Mach 1 was released, you couldn't get one a penny less than the $39,500 MSRP. I bought mine in December of '03 for $30,000CDN including 0% financing. It pays to wait. :thumbsup:

Joe Frito

Mustang Freak
Established Member
Illegal to sell over MSRP

One way it seems dealers can get around selling over MSRP it to remove the window stickers from the high demad cars. I was in checking out a new SRT-8 Charger and the dealer had a $55,000 price on the windshield even though you can go on to the Dodge website to obtain a price for the vehicle. Fully loaded with every option, it still doesn't have an MSRP over $50,000 and when I questioned the salesman on this he hummed and hah'd and didn't know what to tell me. This is to either gouge an unsuspecting customer or to have a way to sell a high demand vehicle to someone willing to pay for it while circumventing the laws.

Pony Ride

Established Member
My dealer has not had any word on price yet. As much as I want this car, If it is $55 for the hard top that will push the vert close to $61 + gas gusler + 15% taxes, I will awake from this dream.

R1Lello

Established Member
:dw:

Well, maybe the info is correct and maybe not. I know it's too early and no $$ is released yet so until it is and the dealer can show you their book with msrp, I won't believe anyone. My dep. has been down since May of '05 when the 04 Cobra was about $45-$46000 loaded. Dealer manager said the new one will be a few thousand more. 50-52 is reasonable.
As for the alotment, until I get that call saying ''come pick the color'' or '' I'm sorry, you won't be getting one', then I'll believe that too as my dealer manager told me at the time, his alotment was 10 cars..........I was one of ten.

..........and the waiting continues...........

R1Lello

Established Member
Requis said:
Hi There,

I agree those in the US are lucky and perhaps for more than one reason Price depending on how this plays out and quantity!

Okay here goes first post in this forum allthough I've been lurking for well over 8 months...I guess I just never really had anything to chime in on until now so thanks for pulling me off the fence with this post. Simply wanted to add some information as an individual wanting to buy a GT 500 and currently sitting at number two on a list here in Canada with a paid deposit. I have managed to become very good friends with the Sales Manager at a somewhat local Ford dealership. And I thought I would clarify as well that no dealer in Canada can sell at more than MSRP in any province.

And for that reason Ford has been having a tough time satisfying Canadian dealers who want a higher MSRP. With that being said Kudo's to FORD Canada for having represented a reasonable MSRP of $55,000.00 CDN :dw: . What I find interesting is that when I first spoke with the Dealer and was salivating at the opportunity to put a deposit down. The car was sitting at about $50K. So from my perspective the car has gone up 5K with all the apparent demand.

Adding that the dealer did advise that Canada would be getting a little over 13 cars in the first allotment so 13 x 27 dealerships. And that the cars would be delivered in roughly September / October time frames. The dealer indicated that they are concerned about the release of available Cars given Canadian Weather and its impact on demand but that FORD US is dictating US allotment prior to the Canadian release.

Adding that the focus will be measuring US demand so that they can avoid the cross border purchase of Cars making their way into the US.

Thats all I have and again this is simply information relayed to me by the sales Manager that also indicated he would have additional information toward the end of February.

Ohh and I would like to add that the FORD Shelby at the Toronto auto Show is not a SHELBY. Both SVT and the Dealer I am working with indicated it is a re-purposed GT with Shelby lettering. Which is being used for show circuits to build the excitement.

Cheers,

Requis

:shrug:

I'm confused, in the first post you mention 3 cars only per, then on the second you posted 13 x 27 dealerships. That equals 351 cars. What's correct ??

Pony Ride

Established Member
I don`t see dealers getting any more than 5 to 8 of these cars. I would think if the price was at $50 that would be about correct. My Plates showed up in the mail yesturday 500PONYS . I just hope I have a car to hang them on.

Pony Ride

Established Member
R1Lello said:
:dw:

Well, maybe the info is correct and maybe not. I know it's too early and no $$ is released yet so until it is and the dealer can show you their book with msrp, I won't believe anyone. My dep. has been down since May of '05 when the 04 Cobra was about $45-$46000 loaded. Dealer manager said the new one will be a few thousand more. 50-52 is reasonable.
As for the alotment, until I get that call saying ''come pick the color'' or '' I'm sorry, you won't be getting one', then I'll believe that too as my dealer manager told me at the time, his alotment was 10 cars..........I was one of ten.

..........and the waiting continues...........

our dollarr is a lot stronger now. that has to come in to play. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Requis

Established Member
R1Lello said:
:shrug:

I'm confused, in the first post you mention 3 cars only per, then on the second you posted 13 x 27 dealerships. That equals 351 cars. What's correct ??

Only the one post yet so far, sorry for the confusion. The Dealer I spoke with indicated that the 27 or so Canadian SVT Dealers would be getting 13 cars. When I asked what does or so mean...he indicated that some dealers would be losing their SVT status for 06, and that one or two might be added based on past sales performance and the Delaer interest in the vehicle.

Keep in mind this is first run, so the 500 number may be accurate, I think very few know at this point. In terms of the $55K I believe this number to be accurate as I have heard it from 3 dealers that I am on their lists. One with a paid deposit, the other two simply a number and a high one at that. I believe the $55K to be high, in my opinion I want the car its only money.

And similar to what was previously posted this is simply what I have been told, I will beleive it when I see it as well. There is supposedly new information end of February.

Cheers,

Requis

VENOMOUSONE

Established Member
I work at one of the local non-SVT Ford dealers here in the city and I have also confirmed with purchasing managers from our dealership that ONLY SVT dealers in Canada will be receiving the GT500's. One of the manager's at my dealership also spoke to the GM at a SVT dealership here in the city (Freedom Ford) and confirmed with him that MSRP on the GT500s will be around $60,000 CDN. He also said that they are allocated 8 units based on number of sales and already have a huge waiting list. He said that they will most likely be asking over the MSRP. At first I thought that $60K is insane for the new 07's but in comparison the 03/04's were selling for about $52,000CDN for the coupe and about $56,000 for the convertible when they first were out. I for one would definately not pay anything over MSRP.

07 Shelby

Established Member
Here's some Canadian Shelby Info that I have.

**The Canadian alotment numbers, that I was quoted by 3 different US SVT Reps at the NAIAS and agreed to by my Mississauga Ontario SVT Dealer, was between 250-280 07' GT500s.

**Here is an Email response I received from my dealer when I questioned him whether it was legal or not for the Dealer to Sell Over MSRP in Ontario:

"Dave, we can sell for above MSRP but only by a maximum of 15% of the total MSRP. but we do have to state on the bill of sale that the customer is willing to pay a premium. it very rarely happens but when it does its usually because of negitive equity in a trade. but OMVIC dictates that we cannot do it without the customer knowing. Dont worry Dave your safe check your bill of sale!" !!! Ontario Only !!!

**There will be NO Shelby's sold outside of the SVT Network in Canada.

**The Canadian 2006 Mustang GT is MSRP $3100 Canadian, more expensive, than the US version.

See Below:

There's been quite a bit of speculation on what the Canadian MSRP will be for the 07' Shelby. To get an idea of price for prospective owners, I did a Price and Build for an 06' Mustang GT on the USA www.Ford.com Site and the Canadian www.Ford.ca Site.
The Canadian Site Lists the Standard 06' GT at 32999 + 1200 Destination Charge = $34199. (I didn't include any ACT, PST or GST)
The Comparable GT model in the US is called a GT Deluxe. It has all the the Standard features of the Canadian GT except that it doesn't include the Shaker 500 as Standard.
USA Deluxe GT MSRP is 25140 US + 665 US for Shaker 500 + 720 US Destination = $26525 US.
Then, using the Royal Bank Foreign Exchange Calculator, I converted the American GT price of $26525 into Canadian $$ and came up with a price of $31103.22 Canadian. ($1 Canadian = $0.8528 American)
Therefore, the 06' US Mustang GT is MSRP $3095.78 Canadian $$, less than it's Canadian Cousin.
($34199 - 31103.22 = $3095.78 Canadian)

If we are to believe that the American MSRP Price is going to be $39999 US for the Shelby Coupe, then a straight Currency Conversion would be $46902.83 Canadian. But, if we take into account the calculation just performed for the 06' GT, the price looks like it will come in at MSRP $51571.43 Canadian.

In conclusion, what we know for sure is, is that Ford of Canada adds on, or hoses Canadians with a 10% Premium after foreign exchange conversion to the MSRP of the Canadian Mustang GT! I believe this will hold true with the 07 Shelby. :cuss:

Last edited:

Joe Frito

Mustang Freak
Established Member
$60,000 is crazy

Man, I thought $55,000 was out of line, but $60,000 makes me want to vomit ($52,000US). The '03 Cobras listed for $45,995 in 2003, and the SVT dealer in Saskatoon was blowing out a silver 10 Anniv. car in April of '04 for $39,000. It looks like I'll have to wait a year for the GT500, and then go down to the States to buy one, because I would think that a guy could get one at the $40,000 msrp ($48,000 CDN) a year from now after the hype dies down.

mrGT

Established Member
Joe Frito said:
Man, I thought $55,000 was out of line, but $60,000 makes me want to vomit ($52,000US). The '03 Cobras listed for $45,995 in 2003, and the SVT dealer in Saskatoon was blowing out a silver 10 Anniv. car in April of '04 for $39,000. It looks like I'll have to wait a year for the GT500, and then go down to the States to buy one, because I would think that a guy could get one at the $40,000 msrp ($48,000 CDN) a year from now after the hype dies down.
.....and you think right, Joe!

R1Lello

Established Member
:nono:

............no actually wrong. First, if they stamp 'not for export' in the u.s. on the bill of sale, good luck. Second, don't forget the headaches to cross the border. That car you will have to pay duties, and all applic. taxes and the biggie is it has to conform to all Canadian standards such as daytime running lights, seatbelt laws, etc......

In the end, you will pay more if it's even possible. I know, i did the research when I was considering Vipers.

I will say this, at $60K Canadian plus 15% tax, I will bail out.......that's a rip

mrGT

Established Member
R1Lello said:
:nono:

............no actually wrong. First, if they stamp 'not for export' in the u.s. on the bill of sale, good luck. Second, don't forget the headaches to cross the border. That car you will have to pay duties, and all applic. taxes and the biggie is it has to conform to all Canadian standards such as daytime running lights, seatbelt laws, etc......

In the end, you will pay more if it's even possible. I know, i did the research when I was considering Vipers.

I will say this, at $60K Canadian plus 15% tax, I will bail out.......that's a rip
So the Canadian Shelby's will be different then? That's very interesting. ....but I was really referring to Joe's "thinking" that one could buy a Shelby at MSRP in the USA in a year. I think that too!

R1Lello

Established Member
:read:

What I'm saying is stds in u.s. are different. Again, you must meet canadian laws and stds such as seatbelts, daytime running lights, speedo in kms etc....

Car you want to bring must have these before they allow it to cross over. This means money must be spent. I.e., if speedo is not in kms, you will need to change the dash

Users who are viewing this thread