Not Happy With Either Discount's Site or Retail Store

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
I had my local Discount Tire special order a set of BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2's in 275 /40 R17 for my Mustang. Now according to both sites (America's Tire and DTD) I can go up to a 275/40 on a 8 inch rim and I know you can, my brother has that size currently mounted on his Mustang and a few friends have 275's on their stock wheels. I get to the store for my appointment and give the staff my info they go on to tell me that they will not mount those tires onto my car because my rims are too narrow. After telling the staff that their store mounted that size tire on a 8 inch rim before I was given the run around about a company policy change or manufacture policy change (they couldn't decide which is correct) and its affected date which they again could not determine when it happened (one guy said one year ago the other said two years ago).
I am unhappy of both sites not being updated to reflect this apparent change. I am also upset of being lied straight to my face about this policy change and if it happened within the past two year they broke policy and mounted a 275 tire on a 8 inch rim which was done Sept. 2013. I work night shifts and out of town and for me to leave work early to make this appointment on upsets me even more. I have worked in customer service for years now and I know when someone is feeding me a line of crap.
This is also the second time I have been in this store and received less than stellar customer service from the staff. In that incident I had to argue with them last year to honor a road hazard certificate on a year old tire that would not balance after striking a pothole.

-Kelly

TheGovernment

Established Member
Well, the dealership I work for wouldn't put that on either, nor would many shops I know of. Even though it "may" work, they are covering their butts because in reality, it is unsafe even though lots of people do it. Just take the rim and tire to a place that doesn't care and get on with life. It's not that big of a deal.

Easiest thing if your not happy, id to just not deal with them anymore.

03hd03venom

Back Yard Mechanic
Established Member
i was told I couldn't buy a set of drag radials due to weight of the terminator, lol. I told him its modified with SRA and weight reduction because it is and no go, I wanted tires only was going to mount elsewhere. Took my money somewhere else.

PC03GT

Established Member
They're just worried about liability. I had an order for some nt05rs and they told me they didn't meet the load requirements for my 13, so I said **** it canceled the order and got some mickeys

Last edited:

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
Well, the dealership I work for wouldn't put that on either, nor would many shops I know of. Even though it "may" work, they are covering their butts because in reality, it is unsafe even though lots of people do it. Just take the rim and tire to a place that doesn't care and get on with life. It's not that big of a deal.

Easiest thing if your not happy, id to just not deal with them anymore.

My peeves is that neither one of their sites show what tire is the limit they will install on a OEM rim and if this policy took affect a 1+year ago they broke it by putting the same size tire on my brother's Mach.

I needed up finding a shop that put cooper rsa3-a's on.

Last edited:

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thank you for reaching out to us here, Fox-4. First and foremost, I'm sorry to hear about your experience and I understand your frustration. It sounds like we missed the mark a few times here for you. I'll do my best to straighten things out. Our customer's safety is our number one priority and therefore we won't install tires on wheels that do not fall within our recommended rim width ranges. This isn't a new thing but over the past few years we have made it a requirement and here's why.

Tires are designed to flex in certain areas of the sidewall. When you pinch or stretch a tire on a wheel that is to narrow or to wide, the tire is forced to flex where it wasn't designed to do so and that causes the tire to generate excessive heat. Heat is a tires worst enemy. Excessive heat can lead to faster wear and increased chances for separations and tire failures. As for why this size was installed on your brothers application in the first place, I'm not sure.

As far as our website goes, the optional tire sizes for a given vehicle application are not always applicable for use with the original equipment wheels. These options are acceptable sizes for the vehicle as long as the vehicle also has proper width wheels. We apologize for any confusion there. We are constantly making improvements to our website so I'll mention this to our web team and hopefully they can help make that more clear.

Again, I apologize for the experience. In the future if I can help avoid any confusion like this again, please let me know. I'd be happy to explain your fitment options and limitations and may even be able to help you find other affordable options that will ultimately give you the look and function you are after.

Last edited:

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
I just had 275-40-19's mounted on stock GT wheels today at Tires Plus. Also, Tirerack dot com shows the 275-40 as an optional size for the GT/CS on the factory wheels (which aren't 9 inch) and I'm pretty sure Tirerack sells quite a few tires a year.....if they aren't concerned with liability it would seem no one else would be either.

At the end of the day, if someone won't do what YOU THE CUSTOMER ask for, then take your money and spend it elsewhere. I also work in automotive service and if someone wants something done, it's simply written down with the addon customer requested service listed and thus the customer then takes the liability. I've had a shop not do specifically what I asked before, I just take my money somewhere else. It sucks you had to select a different set of tires though, you should have just bought them and had them mounted elsewhere. A local goodyear store completely killed any chance goodyear ever had of getting my business again on a warranty issue.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
there's literally 100's of cars with 275 mounted on 8" rims, ME included, I have ET Streets on my stock Cobra 17X8's!

925 GT

In The Driveway
Established Member
There are probably thousands of cars that have 275/40R17 tires on 8" wide wheels, the fact of the matter is that, just because it "fits" does not mean it is right. This is applicable to just about anything that we do to our cars. If there is ever ANY question about the fitment of a certain tire size, visit the manufacturers website and check the tech sheet for said tire, it will tell you everything you need to know. I left the link for the OP's tire in question (275/40R17 BFG Sport Comp 2) below, and it clearly states that that tire is designed for a 9-11" wheel.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire...W/g-force-sport-comp-2/tire-details#techspecs

Users who are viewing this thread