Northeast Ohio Cobra tuners?

Satyr

Established Member
Got my car back...Keith said it was only boosting to around 6 peak, dropping/holding to 4 at redline while on the dyno, so something was obviously wrong. He wasn't sure what it was so he sent the car home with me to figure it out.

After adjusting the bypass solenoid I gained an additional 5#'s of peak boost and am waiting on a tighter belt because it was slipping to hell. I'm heading back up this Thursday to let him revise the tune and get the SFC and exhaust finished up. I did notice, however, that he must have accidentally turned the EGR sensors back on in my tune which is throwing 2 CEL's and he wasn't certain what was causing those. I am pretty sure that once he turns off the EGR and overboost codes that are coming from my EGR delete, the outcome will be much better.

I will post back with results.

Last edited:

Satyr

Established Member
EDIT: Though long, it is necessary to read this entire post to get both aspects of my transpiring.
Sparknotes: I won't be returning there for any services.

Mechanically, I think their shop does pretty good work. They installed my subframe connectors properly, painted and all. They also got the headers and mid pipe in without trouble and the BAP was set up correctly and mounted neatly. Most notably, they realized that I had accidentally bought low-impedance injectors instead of high, which was a great find on their part and it probably saved me a good amount of money. However, that money was quickly blown when the owner went to Summit and bought a set of 48# injectors to replace my old ones for $500.00...he did this without telling me, though I told him to make sure to call me before doing ANYTHING. I complained to the owner about the bill, because the additional $600 for the injectors/labor wasn't something I had wanted and I was told to "stop crying about the bill." I'm sure you can agree that any businessman who would say something like that isn't at the precipice of professionalism.

After my complaints, he installed my sub-frame connectors for free; I was very appreciative of this but I still had distaste for the way he had spoken to me on the phone and I would have preferred 60# injectors for half the price. Moreover, my catback was horribly dis aligned, causing my exhaust pipe to burn a small section of the rear valance and the O2 bung was never welded in (which wasn't too big of a deal because I was able to take a stock sensor out since they're turned off in my tune).

Aside from that, it seemed that the shop's ability to troubleshoot was very rudimentary. For example, I was seeing only 6# of boost with the mods listed below (about 9-10# off). The cause of this was my own fault, as I had gotten too big of a belt and never adjusted my bypass valve. Yet, when the shop called to tell me of it, they told me that they checked the belt and the valve and they were both fine...so I was convinced it was something else. The shop then went on to tell me that "whoever installed" the blower and lower pulley (which was all done by me) must have left out a gasket or Stieg messed up their port-work. I was then told to come get my car from the shop. I asked why would I come get it when the work wasn't done completely/correctly and I was told that it was not their problem since they didn't do the work. In retrospect, they had a point that it wasn't their job to rip the motor apart looking for problems, but it was the two most common problems of boost loss...and they told me it was probably something much larger. That makes me feel as though they never checked and just wanted me out of their place. I was also told that the two CEL's that were on (overboost and an EGR code) were caused by something mechanically wrong with the blower install (it was suggested that this was a second condition of my power loss). Come to find out, the EGR and overboost codes were not shut off in the tune like I had asked. In other words, the shop wasn't able to notice the rat's nest of solenoids and wires had disappeared from the side of the blower (which would explain the CEL's and is fixed with a simple "turn off" with the handheld). I got the car home, put a tighter belt on it along with adjusting the bypass valve and the problem was solved; I then used my handheld to shut the codes off and the CEL hasn't been on since.

As for their tuning, I'm not real sure of it...as I had Rick@Amazon send me a tune and the only thing I asked the shop to do was adjust the slope fields on the injectors and turn the EGR codes off. The tune turned out great and the car is running strong. I ended up having to make 2 round-trips up to the shop, which took 7 days to install subframe connectors and get the car on the dyno (it's about an 80 mile trip for me one way).

My experiences with Bigshot were interesting. I am grateful that they found my injector mishap and I will admit that I made mistakes of my own to compound some of the situations. However, I felt that the problems I had were easily solvable (to the point where I was able to troubleshoot them and solve them with the help of members on here) and the shop wasn't able to come up with answers for me. Being at an age where respect should count (about the late 20's I would say), I expected the owner to be more professional than he was, but all-in-all, he wasn't a bad guy. The shop is well-kept and I have heard good things about it; I am sure that Keith and his workers are all nice guys but I won't be returning there for any services.

I don't mean to use this post as a way to slander BigshotDyno. I am simply recounting my experiences; this is what happened in my three week ordeal.

Last edited:

MIKESTANG_SVT

Established Member
Your not the only one I have heard they has had problems with them. That's why I was so interested on how it turned out. Atleast you got the car running right now.

Satyr

Established Member
Yeah, that's true.
You should post up what you've heard as it seems a lot of the reputations formed on this site are from what others have heard.

Plus, I am curious to hear what other feedback has been like.

MIKESTANG_SVT

Established Member
Yeah, that's true.
You should post up what you've heard as it seems a lot of the reputations formed on this site are from what others have heard.

Plus, I am curious to hear what other feedback has been like.

I got a couple pm's on some other sites about the customer service and some bad tunes. This was 2 years ago. I should have saved them. I've never had any dealings with them so I can't give first hand knowledge, only other stories. I guess you can take it for what it's worth.

A couple things I didn't like about your situation was the fact they didn't call you about the injectors. When I had my car tuned, I just told them to get what ever they needed to get the job done right. I got a phone call about my injectors and they told me my injectors were close to being maxed out and wanted to know if i wanted bigger ones. They could have easily ordered me all kind of crap I didn't need yet. Also pure laziness on the o2 bung. Just seems like they were in a rush to get you in and out. :nonono:

Satyr

Established Member
I certainly felt that there was a rush-factor to get me out. Yet, on the other hand, they had my car for long periods both times I had it there, which means they weren't rushing to get the work done.

sonic 03

Some people do not like it because keith tells it like it is, i am from michigan and moved to ohio a couple years ago so i had my car tuned at php and alternative auto. I have a o3 whipple car with a built bottom end and when i moved to ohio i had keith retune my car and his tune was better than all of them and drove better also, he has tuned a boat load of these cars and had one that was almost in the 9's.you might have a air pocket if the iat's are crazy hotbut like i said keith or jdm would be the only one tuning my car.

Satyr

Established Member
I have no problem with someone telling it like it is. In fact, I would prefer that over anything else. However, my experience involved me being told things that it wasn't (left out gasket, improper port by Stieg.)...and that's where a problem ensues. As for my future tunes, they will all come from Amazon. I am going to be making the trip to SC in a few weeks to have Rick dyno the car. I figure the trip is worth it since I don't plan on adding any additional parts for quite some time.

Anyways, good to hear your car is up and running better than ever.

Last edited:

MIKESTANG_SVT

Established Member
Some people do not like it because keith tells it like it is, i am from michigan and moved to ohio a couple years ago so i had my car tuned at php and alternative auto. I have a o3 whipple car with a built bottom end and when i moved to ohio i had keith retune my car and his tune was better than all of them and drove better also, he has tuned a boat load of these cars and had one that was almost in the 9's.you might have a air pocket if the iat's are crazy hotbut like i said keith or jdm would be the only one tuning my car.

Sounds like you got a nice ride. I believe Keith knows what he is doing, and has tuned a ton of stangs. My only concern is on how the OP was treated. You don't tell paying customers to "stop cying".

Satyr, I wish I was working right now because I would make the trip down with you to get a tune from Rick and the boys.

Smeyers97

Established Member
I was at big shot not too long ago when I was staying in the Akron area. Over the phone they sounded like they knew what they were doing. Once I got my car there they were not able to tune it. Not because there was something wrong with it, but because they didnt know how to tune a 110mm MAF. Still charged me 150 bucks. F&!K Big Shot!!

04 light

Established Member
He just did my 04 whipple cobra with the 110 maf on it a couple weeks ago and it made great power, rwtd was sending email tunes that were close and keith just retuned the car from scratch and it is perfect. It cracks me up though because when i was up there a kid had a cobra with exhaust leaks and a miss and thought the tune would fix all his problems, people are crazy:rolling: A young guy who know's his shit.

Smeyers97

Established Member
Somewhere between me and you they must of learned how to tune the 110mm MAF. They wanted me to go back to the stock MAF and come back. Im glad I didn't though. Got email tunes through Brookspeed and all is well now, Eric knows his shit!! What did you end up making with your setup?

Satyr

Established Member
As I said, many have had success with Bigshot and that's why I gave them a try. My experiences with them will prevent any future interaction but I won't say that they don't know what they're doing. However, it appeared to me that they were confused over quite a few things and that the customer service aspect of the shop was nonexistent.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Satyr

Established Member
Sounds like you got a nice ride. I believe Keith knows what he is doing, and has tuned a ton of stangs. My only concern is on how the OP was treated. You don't tell paying customers to "stop cying".

Satyr, I wish I was working right now because I would make the trip down with you to get a tune from Rick and the boys.

I won't be heading down for about a month or so. If you end up wanting to get tuned and go down with me just let me know and we can do it.

Satyr

Established Member
EDIT: As Stan below me suggested, there are other things that could have caused this besides the Shop's error. Thus, it is not necessarily the fault of the shop and it could have been a bad relay or a PCM spike, though I've not heard of this happening on a frequent basis.

Last edited:

OEM Calibrator

Don't post here at all, usually just skim... But THIS was interesting!

Sorry to disagree with your shop-bash-fest but it looks to me like you had a relay get fried - plain and simple - Could be a bad relay, could be a voltage spike from the PCM somehow (more on that later...). I don't know the shop owner but I know of them and I think they are one of very few KB certified installers and KB doesn't hand that designation out like cookies. They probably have installed 100's of BAPs.

On to the PCM spike - "someone" had the wrong impedance injectors onboard. This NEVER plays pretty with a stock PCM. Running low impedance injectors without a resistor box on a stock Ford PCM will substantially increase the temperature of the transistor driver IC due to the increase in current flow. It will QUICKLY increase injector temperatures and quickly get the transistor and IC junctions well past design temp limits. This can cause havoc with a vehicle. Could be the PCM is near it's death throes because of this and it's doing very weird things like throwing codes and not communicating right with the FPDM. It happens. Unfortunately, what YOU did was one of the quickest ways to kill or cripple a PCM. I think you admitted that wasn't the shop's fault. If I were advising a shop what to do with a car that came in with: wrong impedance injectors; a hacked bypass you did and; the wrong belt you chose and that you didn't understand that you cannot just add to another shops tune to change injectors, I'd advise the shop to tell you sayanara!, go somewhere else. Don't touch it. In my mind, props to the shop for FINDING the injector problem before your PCM was a smoking pile of goo and for working with you to tune it after you hacked it up. I guess I'd be frustrated too if I were he, all things considered.

Sorry to disagree with you, but it's just so easy to give one side of a story without the shop being here to give its side. And it's just so easy to gloss over the litany of things that probably caused all your current woes, that in fact YOU caused.

Anyway, I really am not bashing you, just trying to educate and highlight some problems as I see them. So good luck to you - hope it all works out for you!

Stan

Users who are viewing this thread