North Texas Express lanes

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
5 MPH over is typically not unreasonable, I drive 10+ over quite often, but you can't argue you don't know the speed limit when you're the fastest guy on the road. Its clearly slower than you are driving.
true .. you really can't argue you don't know what the speed limit is anyway ... ignorance is no excuse, you could go into court and try the "I was just keeping up with traffic" excuse which I have had work once or twice. to be frank I don't think that will work and I have a feeling there is more to the story but based on what is here it doesn't rise anywhere near the "criminally negligent" alleged by the other guy

latinheat1018

Established Member
I understand what you are saying, but it will not hold weight in a courtroom. There are four levels of culpability in Texas: intentionally, knowingly, recklessly, and criminally negligent. The last one will be used to describe your actions. I know it sounds harsh, but its what it is. I see three choices here imho, video and then request a court date. Show up to court with the video and plea with the judge and hope he is lenient. Or take defensive driving so it keeps any surcharge for your license away. Or pay the fine and go about your day. Sorry it happened man, but you seem understanding about it.

Yeah, I'm not trying to get it thrown out. As I said, looking for best possible outcome. I'll do as #10 post suggested or take defensive driving. Last time I got a ticket before this was 2012

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

latinheat1018

Established Member
How do you figure " criminally negligent" ? Nothing in the op or subsequent posts by the op mentions anything of the sort. Although in rereading his posts a certain amount of hysteria seems to bleed through.

Op: post up the exact statute you were charged with. Or scan the ticket with you personal info blacked out.

I haven't had the most pleasant experiences with law enforcement so it makes me anxious. Not something I care to discuss.

97831bdedc4f4f8c33f136236a9081cc.jpg

This is the citations portion of the ticket.

latinheat1018

Established Member
The problem with the OP's story though is that he admittedly was driving faster than everyone else on the road. If he didn't know what the speed limit was, why would he assume it was faster than everyone else? Thats what any judge will ask. It won't get thrown out just because there was no sign.

I'd also like to know where there is an 85mph speed limit in the states. I want to move there.

There's a toll road that runs parallel to I-35 out of Austin. I can't remember the name. I used it every year to get to my bodybuilding competitions.
The speed limit on it is 90mph
I believe the number is 192
I can't remember exactly.

latinheat1018

Established Member
he says his estimation was that everyone else was going 80 and he was tagged for 85. not an unreasonable amount faster than anyone else. according to what I posted the assumed STATE speed limit on some roads of this type is 75 not 70. His assumptions about the speed limit while not really logical for that part of Texas, based on what he claims the rest of the cars were doing it doesn't suprise me that the assumption was made.

Frankly if I were the OP I would just take the on line traffic school and have the ticket wiped off my record, assuming he is eligible for it
most of SH130 running from just north of Georgetown TX south to San Antonio the speed limit is 85. there are a TON of roads where the speed limit is 70-75 so you can easily go 80 without any real issues as long as you are not being stupid about it.

I may just do as you suggested. I think at this point it's the best option for me. Thank you for your help

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
That would be SH130 and the speed has always been 80 on part of it and 85 on other parts. it has never been 90. not that you can't go 90 but the hiest speed limit is 80 or 85 depending on what part of the road you are on

There's a toll road that runs parallel to I-35 out of Austin. I can't remember the name. I used it every year to get to my bodybuilding competitions.
The speed limit on it is 90mph
I believe the number is 192
I can't remember exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread