Normal to shoot out windshield?

scott_0

Established Member
as said, in no way normal, but better than shooting weak hand out the window, he did excellent in an extremely high stress situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
No, I wouldn’t say it’s “normal”. Necessary, yes.

We’ve never trained for it nor have I heard of any agency/dept train for it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

It is absolutely a good tactic to use and my team and I have trained on it quite extensively in vehicle CQB courses. There is a great instructor on this subject who travels all around teaching it. I think even to the Vegas guys.
You pretty much have to retrain your mind that you can shoot through a lot of barriers if need be.

MG0h3

Established Member
It is absolutely a good tactic to use and my team and I have trained on it quite extensively in vehicle CQB courses. There is a great instructor on this subject who travels all around teaching it. I think even to the Vegas guys.
You pretty much have to retrain your mind that you can shoot through a lot of barriers if need be.

Ya I'd like the exposure to it. We've done moving vehicles (as a passenger). Did one where our dismounted unit was being chased by ATVs/vehicles that were firing on us; inert PLS and sim. I've never been so freaking tired in my life! Our range master set up steel targets in a car so that's pretty cool but the cars are swiss freaking cheese now lol so no glass.

I suspect some of it may be a liability thing on the department/agency end.

I think about a lot of scenarios like this during my commute or while I'm parked for a bit and I've always felt like I'd just slap the barrel of my M4 on the dash and have at it.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Ya I'd like the exposure to it. We've done moving vehicles (as a passenger). Did one where our dismounted unit was being chased by ATVs/vehicles that were firing on us; inert PLS and sim. I've never been so freaking tired in my life! Our range master set up steel targets in a car so that's pretty cool but the cars are swiss freaking cheese now lol so no glass.

I suspect some of it may be a liability thing on the department/agency end.

I think about a lot of scenarios like this during my commute or while I'm parked for a bit and I've always felt like I'd just slap the barrel of my M4 on the dash and have at it.
If you know the people at your department in charge of training I can give you the class info. I highly recommend it. You do a lot of ballistic testing as well, which is an eye opener.

I've been to the class and the instructor level course and I think it's some of the most practical training for officers on patrol.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
That was simply astounding. As a private citizen, I would have wanted him to break off pursuit as soon as initial shots fired. The danger level to civilians during that incident was through the roof, both from the chase AND from bullets (from perp and cop).

They were pulled over and being questioned for a murder investigation, then they take off and start shooting at cops. No way they just let them go. If those guys end up taking hostages, murdering someone else, etc and people find out they stopped the pursuit? Yeah that'd go over well.

The only thing I didn't like is he didn't waste both of those scumbags.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
..... If those guys end up taking hostages, murdering someone else, etc and people find out they stopped the pursuit? Yeah that'd go over well..

How about if they (bad guys or the cops) had wiped out an innocent family during the chase? I can't imagine "that'd go over well" either. I guess there's no easy answer, but I'd prefer to keep the risks to my family as low as possible. Plus, if those dirtbags had murdered other dirtbags, then I honestly don't care all that much, sorry to be so callous.

MG0h3

Established Member
How about if they (bad guys or the cops) had wiped out an innocent family during the chase? I can't imagine "that'd go over well" either. I guess there's no easy answer, but I'd prefer to keep the risks to my family as low as possible. Plus, if those dirtbags had murdered other dirtbags, then I honestly don't care all that much, sorry to be so callous.

This is true and something we think about for the most part. On the other hand, we can’t “train” the bad guys that if they do this crap we’ll just disengage.

Perfect example was 10yrs ago our FTY policy was very strict. Soon as we called it out a watch commander would be on the radio asking about speeds and traffic conditions. If we reported they were doing 10mph over we were ordered to stop and turn around. We worked around that and then they started crossing the freeway to go the wrong way against traffic. Again, ordered to stop and turn around. We would just say “following at a safe distance in case there is an accident” or something to that effect but we were really just paralleling them on the correct side of the freeway. We really did see a change and the amount of FTYs decreased or they would just pull over and foot bail.

Can’t let the asshats have their way!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cbj5259

Established Member
There is no guarantee that by cutting off the pursuit that the bad guys will end their carnage. If they are hell bent on causing a mass casualty incident, then by breaking off the pursuit, the police just gave them free reign to inflict insurmountable harm on the community. We have no way of knowing the mindset of the actors in the SUV. What we do know is that they already killed someone and were attempting to kill a police officer, those facts are more than enough to take these animals out at all costs. Remember, it is not the police who are putting the lives of the community at risk, it is these guys....and remember, the next set of scumbags is always watching to see what the police do. If the police back off everytime it gets dangerous then you have lost control and the bad guys have won. We can't operate in woulda, shoulda, coulda world.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

fearthesnake

Established Member
There is no guarantee that by cutting off the pursuit that the bad guys will end their carnage. If they are hell bent on causing a mass casualty incident, then by breaking off the pursuit, the police just gave them free reign to inflict insurmountable harm on the community. We have no way of knowing the mindset of the actors in the SUV. What we do know is that they already killed someone and were attempting to kill a police officer, those facts are more than enough to take these animals out at all costs. Remember, it is not the police who are putting the lives of the community at risk, it is these guys....and remember, the next set of scumbags is always watching to see what the police do. If the police back off everytime it gets dangerous then you have lost control and the bad guys have won. We can't operate in woulda, shoulda, coulda world.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Agree.

rdrkt

Established Member
That was simply astounding. As a private citizen, I would have wanted him to break off pursuit as soon as initial shots fired. The danger level to civilians during that incident was through the roof, both from the chase AND from bullets (from perp and cop).
Is your plan really to let two unknown murder suspects in a stolen car go free? How do you plan on finding them?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Off topic.

With tech today I'm honestly suprised there is no hands free radio in police cars

Like a button on the wheel or like in acft on the floor

_Snake_

Established Member
Off topic.

With tech today I'm honestly suprised there is no hands free radio in police cars

It comes down to the almighty dollar and how many are in the budget.

rdrkt

Established Member
Off topic.

There's no real competition in the radio market and it would be difficult to integrate Bluetooth devices with cars that may not have them. I know for a fact none of the ford's do. The Chevy Caprice does but that's fallen out of favor

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Is your plan really to let two unknown murder suspects in a stolen car go free? How do you plan on finding them?.....

Dirtbag-A kills Dirtbag-B.. do I care?? Not really. Is apprehending Dirtbag-A worth getting my family (or yours) killed during the shootout/pursuit? Answer is emphatically NO.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The tactical situation called for it, these were violent suspects that were firing on the pursuit vehicles. The officer did pretty damn good, would rather see him shoot thru his windshield with his dominate hand, than take a bad shot with his left out the window.
This! I watched this video yesterday. It appeared to me that the officer wanted to shoot from the driver's window but didn't (rightfully) trust shooting with his left hand. Thankfully nobody else apparently was hurt during the pursuit (with so many shots fired). One perp dead and the other seriously wounded and facing a number of charges, including murder.

To those who believe the cops should have stopped their pursuit, given the nature of why the chase began and the history of the two pieces of trash, the officer did the right thing by NOT backing off and remain intent on engaging/stopping them.

Statement from the Assistant Sheriff - “In my opinion, they show a level of bravery, professionalism, heroics, that we come to expect of our officers,” Kelly said. “The officer could have backed off but he didn’t, he stuck with that individual knowing what type of individual he was dealing with.”

Nunez and Miranda both have a lengthy criminal past.

Nunez has been convicted three times and also has been arrested on robbery with a deadly weapon, robbery and grand larceny auto charges.

Miranda had previously been convicted of conspiracy to commit robbery and arrested for robbery, kidnapping, grand larceny auto, prohibited person in possession of a firearm and narcotics."

Users who are viewing this thread