Non-Brembo: Hawk HPS or Duralast Gold pads?

blownby

Established Member
heard great things about duralast gold.
Have the Hawk HPS 5.0 on my daily driver (acura) and my stang....if that says anything.

Hawk will stop better and bite quicker and pedal feel is great. also the power is linear as u keep pushing pedal. lot of regular pads are kind of quick initial bite and the not much more then grab a lot.
Duralast will be less dust and not as much stopping power.

So whatever is more important to you.

demas

Established Member
How many dust does the HPS actually do? anybody has a picture maybe?

blownby

Established Member
its is not bad really, but depends how anal you are. I am pretty anal and I can wipe wheels down each week easily on my DD which i put about 300 miles on each week. I also do seal my wheels occasionally.

It is not nasty hard to remove crap too, just light grey dust that wipes off easily.

Again it is not bad, but what may take 7-10 days to get dusty with ceramic, may take 5-6 days on the HAWK HPS 5.0.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Hawk will stop better and bite quicker and pedal feel is great. also the power is linear as u keep pushing pedal. lot of regular pads are kind of quick initial bite and the not much more then grab a lot.
Duralast will be less dust and not as much stopping power.

So whatever is more important to you.

Quicker bite,stopping power and pedal feel Surely trumps a little brake dust for me. I just came out of a Lexus with incredible brakes, the Stang currently is lacking since it's still on the oem pad set at 40K miles. The price I can get the Hawks for is pretty darn close to what Auto Zone sells the Golds for so $ isn't an issue.

blownby

Established Member
I have used ate type 200 originally in mustang
Stoptech STR-600 in my daily driver

Both seem really good and reasonable.
Motul is good stuff too

In a pinch i bought Lucas brand from auto zone.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I noticed the Hawk HPS pads get tons of bad reviews online as well as some decent ones But lots of people seem to really hate them for dust and the flimsy clips that break off?

Brutal Metal

Established Member

blownby

Established Member
Yes front and rear. I believe the HPS is more race oriented, hence more dust grips .

Hps 5.0 more street oriented

Last edited:

jande063

Established Member
I have been pleased with my HPS 5.0 pads for daily driving. I would never consider them for anything more serious than autocross though (for a track, minimum in my book is a double digit Carbotech or G-Loc after nursing a set of HPS through a weekend). DOT 4 brake fluid is nice as long as you change it regularly. I have tested Stoptech 600, Motul, and ATE 200, and after three months they each had a 4% water content from street driving (which is a fail at tech inspection). DOT 3 lasts longer, but has a lower temperature rating. I tend to use whichever DOT 4 is either cheaper at the time, or is stocked by a vendor with a contingency deal.

One good thing about the Duralast was the warranty. I know a guy who bought one set of pads for his TT car, and over the next five years, kept getting warranty replacement pads. He was actually asked by the cashier one weekend about how he managed to go through three sets in two days, and replied race car as the kid checked him out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread