Noisy Idler pulleys

a94cobra

Established Member
I got some noisy idler pulleys. Stock ones. There are two upper stock idler pulleys. Had some squealing, so I figured out which one and replaced it. About two weeks later the other upper idler pulley starts squealing. I replaced it. Not even 5 minutes go by and the new one is squealing. I took it off the next day as it hadn't shut up and returned it. They gave me a new one. The new one started it about 2 minutes in.

What the hell. Can you install an idler pulley wrong? This should be as simple as looseing the bolt and taking the pulley off and putting the new one on and tighting the bolt. Could I somehow be ruining the bearing by over tighting?

I just can't see two bad pulleys in a row, but I guess anything is possible.

Now don't give me any static about not putting on aftermarket stuff. I will probably do that, but it won't be right now. So I need some stock pulleys to work for another few months.

Any help is appreciated.

Romans8:28

Established Member
a94cobra said:
I got some noisy idler pulleys. Stock ones. There are two upper stock idler pulleys. Had some squealing, so I figured out which one and replaced it. About two weeks later the other upper idler pulley starts squealing. I replaced it. Not even 5 minutes go by and the new one is squealing. I took it off the next day as it hadn't shut up and returned it. They gave me a new one. The new one started it about 2 minutes in.

What the hell. Can you install an idler pulley wrong? This should be as simple as looseing the bolt and taking the pulley off and putting the new one on and tighting the bolt. Could I somehow be ruining the bearing by over tighting?

I just can't see two bad pulleys in a row, but I guess anything is possible.

Now don't give me any static about not putting on aftermarket stuff. I will probably do that, but it won't be right now. So I need some stock pulleys to work for another few months.

Any help is appreciated.

Its your belt :thumbsup: not the pulleys (been there done that)

a94cobra

Established Member
Oh, no it's the pulleys. Getting a gatorback belt will make more noise. But not like this. This isn't a gatorback.

You can do the squirt test on the bearing of the pulley. This will isolate what the noise is. That is how I know it's not the belt.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
The bearings in the stock idlers aren't the best quality, the bottom most one has actually exploded on some cars. That is the primary reason people are also buying aftermarket idlers along with their pulleys.

Check out www.billetflow.com.

a94cobra

Established Member
Yeah, I know about the failures. But I am trying to put a new stock one one the car and it is failing. NEW. What is it that I should know about this procedure.

Established Member
LOL...... I did the squirt test two (with WD40 the noise would stop for a few seconds)and replaced/switched the idlers around. Nothing worked, and like you I could not believe the pulley bearings could be bad brand new.

ITS THE BELT, put your stock one back on and you will see.I am telling you, its your belt.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Romans8:28 said:
LOL...... I did the squirt test two (with WD40 the noise would stop for a few seconds)and replaced/switched the idlers around. Nothing worked, and like you I could not believe the pulley bearings could be bad brand new.

ITS THE BELT, put your stock one back on and you will see.I am telling you, its your belt.

I agree. Multiple bearings is the first hint. I'm betting it's the belt too. When you do your squirt test, I'll bet you're getting some on the belt. That will shut them up. Try spraying a little silicone spray on both sides of the belt with the engine idling. Do it away from your idlers as much as possible. I'll bet the noise goes away. If it does, remove the idlers and clean the wear surface with a wire brush. Really do a good job. Put on a new belt and you're done.

dougwg

Established Member
A couple thoughts:

1) NEVER USE SILICONE LUBE ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR BELTS
use water, it will go away where as the silicone will be there forever :)

2) did you let the new idler bearings "break in"... let the car idle for a few min's and maybe drive around (at low rpm) for about 5 miles.
trust me on this one

3) yes, it could be your belt but #1 and also swaping them out with known good idlers will isolate the problem

a94cobra

Established Member
Update: I think I fixed it.

I used windex or water for the squirt test. I was only squirting the pulley not the belt. The first pulley I replaced, the driver side of the upper two idlers, is still quiet after replacing it. The passenger side one is the one giving me the problem. There was also a noise, kinda sounded like the water pump or something was fixing to give out. I couldn't isolate that noise from all the noise from the squealing pulley. It was really starting to piss me off.

I did let the new bearing 'break-in'. I live about 4 miles out side of town from where I work. So a couple trips back and forth should have been plenty.

I did some reading on some other threads and I believe dougwg mentioned something about 18 ft lbs. tourque. In the back of my mind that was starting to register. I thought maybe I was tourqing them too much.

On my 03 I had the lower idler fall off the car, thanks to the Ford house for not making sure it was tight. They had to replace the entire lower cage assembly due to the rubber mounts on the crank pulley wearing out. After a 1000 miles or so while driving the idler falls completely off. They didn't put anything on the threads or didn't tighten it good. Don't know.

So I had been making sure to check those to make sure they were tight. When I put the new idlers on. I just tightened them by a 8" long box end wrench. Plenty of hand torque. Did the same thing when installing the second one.

Apparently that might be too much torque for the bearing. At least the stock ones. I loosened it and re-applied the 18-20 ft lbs. like I saw in one of dougwg posts and all the noise is gone. 18-20ft lbs is not very tight though. I am gonna go back and put some locktight on the bolts.

So looks like that might be the fix. I will post in about a week to report that it is still quiet. Hopefully.

GotGrunt

Established Member
Its your belt :thumbsup: not the pulleys (been there done that)
As mentioned above; way back when I had the stock pulley/idlers, I had a glazed stock belt that looked fine so I thought it was a bad idler. Replaced the questionable idler (lower most), then switched them around and nothing. Replaced the belt and the annoying "squeal/chirp" was gone...

Last edited:

OATS

Established Member

a94cobra, I couldn't agree more with Roman....been there done that myself! I systematically replaced all of my idlers, nothing worked until I swapped out the belt. Do yourself A favor and try the belt and maybe save yourself from pulling out your hair. Always try the easy thing first. Good luck.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree with Doug's comments. But rather than mess around with new idlers it makes sense to at least try installing a new belt to see if the noise disappears. If it doesn't, then you know the belt isn't the problem. It's always good to have a spare belt anyway. :)

Established Member
CobraBob said:
I agree with Doug's comments. But rather than mess around with new idlers it makes sense to at least try installing a new belt to see if the noise disappears. If it doesn't, then you know the belt isn't the problem. It's always good to have a spare belt anyway. :)

A wise comment from a wise man :thumbsup:

a94cobra

Established Member
Well, I didn't want to buy a new belt just yet. I am going to swap to a 6lb lower from a 4lb lower and the belt size may be different. So the spare belt I would be buying would be going to waste being it might be the wrong size for the future.

Update: Two days have passed and no squealing. Looks like the proper torque on the pulley was the problem. I am making a trip to San Antonio to Dallas back to Lubbock this week. So I will get some miles on the new pulleys and will know for sure by the end of the week.

Users who are viewing this thread