No Trolls in the Classifieds

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
How about a No Trolls rule in the classifieds? I like ls1.com's rule, which is the following...

If you aren't buying a vehicle, you have no business telling what price to set to the sellers.

It is their business as to what is the appropriate price to set for their vehicle.

If you are interested in that vehicle, you may negotiate from the listed price. Otherwise, sellers don't want your comments about the price.

If you troll the threads, an appropriate action will be taken as per the forum rules.
It seems there's always someone who has to voice their opinion about somebody's price (even though that person usually has NO serious interest in the car). It would be nice to browse classified ads without seeing posts like...

"Your car is way overpriced."
"Price is too steep."
"Just bought a car like yours last week for half of your asking price."
"Dude that price is crazy."
"Good luck selling for that much."

Latest example:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158187

The way it is now, I wouldn't recommend using this board to advertise a car unless it has an extremely low price. Otherwise someone is sure to come in and pollute the thread with useless price commentary. :nonono:

Just a suggestion... :shrug:

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
bassin247 said:
I agree. If you don't want to pay the price, sit down, STFU, and eat your breakfast!
LOL

I guess I will chime in since that is my department.....
Its ok to discuss a vehicle, more activity on a car is going to draw more people to look at the ad, thats the cool thing about having a sales part on a forum. Its not like a car site where all you do is sell a car, the beauty here is everyone can elicit their opinion as long as its tasteful and not hurtful to the other parties. Just my thoughts.

-Zach

montanagrog

Established Member
I have to agree with Top Fuel. I used to be on the classified a couple times a day. Now I rarely go there. Too much BS to siphin thru to get to the seller and transact. I see a new post with 10 replies and 9 of them from 'trolls'. I feel that this is not 'tasteful and is hurtful to the other parties' chances of selling and buyers are getting turned off by the injectures they are spending too much. So I guess my thoughts are opposite of yours, sohowcome, as I, just one buyer/seller, now doesn't frequent the classifieds as much due to 'trolling'.

If a seller is 'just testing the waters' then they are asking for the feed back wheather it is supportive or negitive to the asking price. I never go to those post either as I feel those are a waste of bandwidth and my time.

I found SVTPerformance after almost giving up on the websites as the best and supported, (and saluted), the mods on thier ability to keep a professional site! The Smack Down Cafe is one of the best ideas I've seen for keeping the site under control. Send the trolls there, and leave classified to the sellers and true buyers.

Thanks for allowing my input as this is one of the few sites I go to anymore and want to see it continue to be the best as it always has been.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
** NEWSFLASH **

SELLERS DON'T WANT YOUR OPINION ON THEIR ASKING PRICE!!!

CLICK HERE and scroll down to the 5th post. :nonono:

"Uhhh... your price is way too high and I'm coming in here to take a dump on your ad. But good luck with the sale." :loser:

WTF is wrong with people in the Marketplace!?!?! :fm:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
^ That's unreal... :nonono:

My neighbor's house is overpriced. I think I'll go pound a sign in his yard next to his "For Sale" sign that reads "The price of this house is insane...go down the block and save $20K" :poke:

I dunno Sid... People are supposed to wait for someone to spam their ad and then report it? :shrug: I don't expect you guys to police the ads, but how about a sticky letting it be known that price commentary is not an acceptable reason to post in a thread (or is it?).

:??:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
LIGHTNING LARRY said:
You handled that waaaaaaaay wrong. What kind of response did you expect after calling him an asshole. :rollseyes

That kind of remark belongs in smackdown. NOWHERE ELSE. :poke:

I PMed him later and told him how I had had a bad day and apoligized.

Still though..

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Top_Fuel said:
You're the man! :bowdown: :beer: :thumbsup:
If you had hit report post I would have been able to take care of it for you in a timely matter.....

When you report a post it comes directly to my email....

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Why can't people have respect for sellers on this website? :shrug:

Quote from THIS ad in the Market...

Price is $28,000. No negotiations & No trades, the price is what it is.

Please only post if your seriously interested in the car, no need to wish me luck and don't need comments, thanks.
So let's review...

- The seller has set a firm price.
- The seller doesn't want trade offers.
- The seller doesn't want his thread full of nonsense posts.

Sounds reasonable, right? Well...it didn't take long for people to come in and dump on the guy's ad when he specifically asked them NOT to. :dw: Here are some of the replies...

Sorry pal......You don't set the parameters of what's posted on the Forum. May want to take a little different approach to sell what appears to be a very nice Cobra.
I picked up a 10th anni w/ 9k on it for 25K. Did those mods add up to 3k??? :rollseyes
Yea, good luck with that attitude. Private party retail is 24875 for this vehicle :poke:
Apparently the following is no longer welcome in Market ads...

1. Putting a "firm" price on an item
2. Letting people know you're not interested in trades
3. Asking for replies from serious buyers only

Sellers shouldn't have to beg people NOT to spam their Market thread! :idea:

:nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Looks like the report post button
report.gif
still works to me.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
I suspect most of these posts go unreported because they've been accepted for so long, sellers assume spam is just part of doing business in a Market forum. :(

Oh... HERE'S another classic... :-D

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
LIGHTNING LARRY said:
So report it next time. :shrug:
You want me to report every Market thread with spam in it? I'll have carpal tunnel by lunch time! :lol1: How about treating the problem and not the symptom? :shrug:

And here's the problem: Some people think it's completely acceptable to trash someone's ad because it's not spelled out in the rules anywhere. Respect (the #1 SVTP rule) apparently means nothing to some people...so perhaps it's time to lay it out for some of the more challenged members.

"Your price is crazy."
"That price is way too much."
"Blue Book is only $ on that thing."
"Good luck selling for that high."
"Don't tell us what your terms are. That's not how it works here."
"There's one selling just like it for a lot less if you go to this link."
"That thing is overpriced. I just sold mine for $."
"I bought one like yours last week for half of your asking price."
"Mods don't ad any value to a car. Better re-think that price."
"Don't tell me your price is firm. I'll lowball you if I want."
"You might want to reconsider that price."
"Obviously you don't plan on selling any time soon with that price."
"You might want to take a different approach with your sale."
"I'd be interested if you knocked about $ off that price."
"That's one of the worst deals I've ever seen."
"Good luck with that attitude. You can't tell people you won't negotiate."
"You should only be asking $ for something like that."
"Better look around...those things are selling for a lot less than yours."
"Yeah, right...I can get a new one for just a few $ more that you're asking."
"What makes you think yours is worth that much?"
"Better consider lowering that price sometime soon if you want to sell."
"You should take off those ricer wheels...your car looks horrible with them."
"I don't care what you owe on it...the car is only worth $."
"Nobody's going to buy that thing until you drop your price."
"Why don't you de-mod? You'll never sell it that way."

Clearly it's not understood that negative posts are unwelcome in the Market. Why else would someone ask for people NOT to spam their ad...

Please don't bother to tell me that you think my price is too high...

Please only post if your seriously interested in the car, no need to wish me luck and don't need comments...

Suggestion:

Make it clear these types of posts are no longer acceptable in the Market forums.

Oh...and send a moderator in there to bust a few heads just to get the message across. :D

OK...I'll go away now...thanks for reading. :)

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
"IF" the bad posts get reported more often this crap will be stopped.
We don't have time to read every thread.

We'd get eyeball tunnel syndrome. :p ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread