No start, no fuel pressure

silver_cobra_01

Established Member
So after sitting for a month or so without being started, I can't get my 2001 Cobra to start. The car doesn't have any major mods, just intake, tb, exhaust, and tune mostly. First thought was battery, so I checked it, good at 12.6 or so volts. Then I checked to make sure i was getting spark, and I was. So i pulled out an old phone that has Torque Pro on it (pretty much a mobile scan tool), and had a code for O2 sensor, but nothing else. So I pulled up a display for fuel pressure and got .4 lbs at most. Then I went to the schrader valve on the fuel rail after cycling the key a few times to (hopefully) build pressure, and pushed in the pin with a small screwdriver, and literally got nothing to come out.

So now my question is, where exactly did the .4 lbs of pressure read from? before the fuel rail, after it? I'm considering replacing the fuel filter in hopes that it's clogged up there, and unable to build pressure past it. Other than that, where else should I look before dropping the tank and replacing my pump?

I tried looking for other threads, but didn't have terribly good luck finding any that had zero, or close to zero fuel pressure and am hoping that maybe that piece of info will really help.

Thanks guys.

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
I take it that you do not hear the fuel pump prime when you turn they key on. The only real way to read fuel pressure is with a mechanical gauge; not an app. My fuel pump went out over a year ago but I was driving when it died, unfortunately. If it is the fuel pump (I very much doubt you have a fuel filter that clogged up but anything is possible), are you planning on repairing it yourself? Since I've done this job I can give you some things that made the job easier for me and some things to really watch out for.

Good luck - listen for the fuel pump priming when you turn the key on.

silver_cobra_01

Established Member
I take it that you do not hear the fuel pump prime when you turn they key on. The only real way to read fuel pressure is with a mechanical gauge; not an app. My fuel pump went out over a year ago but I was driving when it died, unfortunately. If it is the fuel pump (I very much doubt you have a fuel filter that clogged up but anything is possible), are you planning on repairing it yourself? Since I've done this job I can give you some things that made the job easier for me and some things to really watch out for.

Good luck - listen for the fuel pump priming when you turn the key on.

Thanks, yea I've tried listening for the fuel pump. At first I couldn't hear it, but then had someone sit in the seat and cycle the key while i laid under the tank. And still couldn't hear it at first. But then I tried again today, and heard not so much a constant whir or whine from it, but more of an intermittent sound. I haven't listened to it before so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but to me, it sounded like it was struggling to do its job.

As far as the repair goes, yes, I'll be doing the repairs myself. Would love to hear your input on what would make the job easier and what to watch out for.

Thanks

BigFatMatt

Ain't never gonna change
Established Member
Thanks, yea I've tried listening for the fuel pump. At first I couldn't hear it, but then had someone sit in the seat and cycle the key while i laid under the tank. And still couldn't hear it at first. But then I tried again today, and heard not so much a constant whir or whine from it, but more of an intermittent sound. I haven't listened to it before so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but to me, it sounded like it was struggling to do its job.

As far as the repair goes, yes, I'll be doing the repairs myself. Would love to hear your input on what would make the job easier and what to watch out for.

Thanks

The fuel pump in my '99 died this past weekend and I'm in the process of replacing it. I had the same symptoms as you, no fuel pressure at the rail and no sound of the pump priming.

Just an FYI for when you drop the tank... the 13mm bolt on the driver's side strap is a huge pain in the ass with the Cobra IRS. I tried every extension, socket, and universal combination that I had, but I couldn't get a socket on it. I finally got it out with a stubby 13mm wrench, but I could only turn it a few degrees at a time and it took over an hour for that one bolt. I'm replacing it with a socket head cap screw which should make dropping the tank infinitely easier in the future.

Once you get the tank off, it's a great time to replace your fuel filler neck seal. And of course your fuel filter too.

silver_cobra_01

Established Member
The fuel pump in my '99 died this past weekend and I'm in the process of replacing it. I had the same symptoms as you, no fuel pressure at the rail and no sound of the pump priming.

Just an FYI for when you drop the tank... the 13mm bolt on the driver's side strap is a huge pain in the ass with the Cobra IRS. I tried every extension, socket, and universal combination that I had, but I couldn't get a socket on it. I finally got it out with a stubby 13mm wrench, but I could only turn it a few degrees at a time and it took over an hour for that one bolt. I'm replacing it with a socket head cap screw which should make dropping the tank infinitely easier in the future.

Once you get the tank off, it's a great time to replace your fuel filler neck seal. And of course your fuel filter too.

Thanks for the info. Maybe ill have some kind of set up that can reach. What kind of fuel pump did you/are you going with?

BigFatMatt

Ain't never gonna change
Established Member
Thanks for the info. Maybe ill have some kind of set up that can reach. What kind of fuel pump did you/are you going with?

I ordered a BBK 1862 300 LPH off amazon. It got here yesterday. I got the whole kit but you can buy just a Walbro pump if you want to save some money. I'm going to get everything back together this weekend and I'll let you know how it goes.

BigFatMatt

Ain't never gonna change
Established Member
Well, I yanked out my old pump yesterday afternoon and dropped in the new BBK one. I tested the resistance with a multimeter and verified the old pump was bad. While the tank was off I replaced the fuel filler neck seal. I noticed a strange looking piece of plastic in my gas tank when the pump was out.. I fished it out and it was the little cone shaped piece that clips to the fuel filler neck. It popped off when I dropped the tank. I reattached it and left the fuel filler neck loose.

Before I reinstalled the tank, I replaced the fuel filter. Even with the tank out, it wasn't easy to access.. but eventually I was able to get it off and replaced it with a Motorcraft filter.

Getting the tank back in was a lot easier than it was getting it out. I got a socket head cap screw from work and used it on the driver's side strap. Once everything was hooked up and the strap bolts were torqued and it cranked right up first try. Took it out today and got up to speed, feels really nice definitely an improvement.

Silver Cobra, hope you are having good luck with your car as well!! Have you made any progress?

silver_cobra_01

Established Member
Well, I yanked out my old pump yesterday afternoon and dropped in the new BBK one. I tested the resistance with a multimeter and verified the old pump was bad. While the tank was off I replaced the fuel filler neck seal. I noticed a strange looking piece of plastic in my gas tank when the pump was out.. I fished it out and it was the little cone shaped piece that clips to the fuel filler neck. It popped off when I dropped the tank. I reattached it and left the fuel filler neck loose.

Before I reinstalled the tank, I replaced the fuel filter. Even with the tank out, it wasn't easy to access.. but eventually I was able to get it off and replaced it with a Motorcraft filter.

Getting the tank back in was a lot easier than it was getting it out. I got a socket head cap screw from work and used it on the driver's side strap. Once everything was hooked up and the strap bolts were torqued and it cranked right up first try. Took it out today and got up to speed, feels really nice definitely an improvement.

Silver Cobra, hope you are having good luck with your car as well!! Have you made any progress?

Yea I'm cheap so I'll be ordering just a pump. I bought a motor craft filter from the local oreillys. Need to order my pump though. Hopefully tonight.

Unfortunately, my cars pretty low and my jack is not. I usually drive up onto some wood blocks before jacking, but I can't do that now with the car not running so I need to buy a low profile jack or find one. In any event, I still need to wait for the pump to arrive. I will update eventually though, I move a little slow.

silver_cobra_01

Established Member
Okay guys so I'm in the process of removing the tank and am kind of hung up. I'm having a really hard time removing the fuel lines from the fuel filter. Any tips and tricks? I've soaked it in pblaster, twisted the filter, but still no luck. Thanks.

KGcobra

Established Member
What kind of disconnect tool are you using? I just recently did this and after messing with it for quite a while with the plastic tool, I went out and purchased the metal version which worked much easier.

BigFatMatt

Ain't never gonna change
Established Member
What kind of disconnect tool are you using? I just recently did this and after messing with it for quite a while with the plastic tool, I went out and purchased the metal version which worked much easier.

^^^ I did the same thing.. had a set of plastic ones but no luck. I bought a metal one and it worked, but all of my fittings required multiple attempts and expletives.

silver_cobra_01

Established Member

I was using a plastic one. I now have a metal one and am hoping it will go smoother

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
Make absolutely SURE that you get all the vacuum lines hooked up correctly and you hear a solid "click." Fuel line,too. There is one that comes off the front of the gas tank and goes forward and is part of the EVAP system. I did not get it on (thought I did) and got a MIL code of gross leak in the EVAP system. It's a very complicated system but I tracked it down to that hose - had to drop the tank a little to get to it - and no more error codes. Yeah, the metal fuel line disconnects are the only way to go. I had the plastic ones with no problems until this job - only the metal ones really work. To make this job easier from the get go, disconnect the three bolts at the fuel filler neck AND the bolts on the inside of the trunk (have to remove the panels to get to it) to give free movement to the filler tube. It's a lot easier to remove this way. You will have to replace the seal that the filler neck goes through at the tank; they almost always tear.

Otherwise, it's a fairly easy job. I did not have any trouble getting a long extension up to the gas tank strap as indicated above. It's hard to get to but not that difficult.

Good luck to all.

BigFatMatt

Ain't never gonna change
Established Member
Otherwise, it's a fairly easy job. I did not have any trouble getting a long extension up to the gas tank strap as indicated above. It's hard to get to but not that difficult.

Good luck to all.

Yours must have been different than mine.

I wish it was as simple as a longer extension.. For me, that damn bolt was the hardest part by far. Everything else wasn't too bad.

KGcobra

Established Member
Yours must have been different than mine.

I wish it was as simple as a longer extension.. For me, that damn bolt was the hardest part by far. Everything else wasn't too bad.
What drive size were you using? I was able to get to that bolt with 1/4" drive socket and an extension.

silver_cobra_01

Established Member
Well I got everything back in today and it fired right up. I was able to get the fuel lines disconnected yesterday. Most of my issue was the tool, as the metal one worked right away, but also realized that it had a lot to do with the amount of space I had to work in. I could not pull on the line the right way, and it turned out one of the connections was undone, but I just couldn't tell.

BigFatMatt, I was able to get to the bolt with a 1/4" drive ratchet and the right extension, no swivels or anything.

OldSVTGuy, my seal did not rip at all, so I did not bother replacing it.

Thanks for all the help guys.

BigFatMatt

Ain't never gonna change
Established Member
Well I got everything back in today and it fired right up. I was able to get the fuel lines disconnected yesterday. Most of my issue was the tool, as the metal one worked right away, but also realized that it had a lot to do with the amount of space I had to work in. I could not pull on the line the right way, and it turned out one of the connections was undone, but I just couldn't tell.

BigFatMatt, I was able to get to the bolt with a 1/4" drive ratchet and the right extension, no swivels or anything.

OldSVTGuy, my seal did not rip at all, so I did not bother replacing it.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Glad to hear that your job went well too!! I got really lucky with mine and the pump went out when I was 500 yards away from my dad's house. It would have really sucked if it went out a few months back when I drove to the outer banks. I think the fuel filter & pump change was pretty overdue. The car runs a lot better now.

Regarding the bolt, I tried a 1/4" socket and extension, but I used a 3/8" drive ratchet and an adapter. I should have tried a 1/4" drive ratchet, it might have helped.

Now I've got to repair my other ride... 97 taurus just started missing on a cylinder. Coil pack? Guess we'll find out this weekend. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread