No more SVT????

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
I have heard from two different sources associated with MM&FFs that while there will be another Mustang Cobra it will not be an SVT Mustang Cobra. I also heard that the plans to build the next gen Lightning may be entirely scrapped. Any of you out there hear the same or similar?:shrug:

Last edited:

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Nope. I heard a rumor about kickin' SVT to the curb, but I'm pretty sure the next lightning will be coming out pretty soon.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
If Kerry gets elected you can bet it will happen because his policies are going to take the auto industry back to the conservation policies of the 1970's, specifically around the issues of alternative energy sources to reduce oil dependencies.

HELLO to electric cars that make a top speed of 60 MPH....goodbye HP and torque.

I have already told my son that if he has any intention of getting a muscle car he better get it now because after 2007 I doubt if they will be around anymore until the next muscle car revival takes place about 30 years from now.

Last edited:

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraKindaGuy
HELLO to electric cars that make a top speed of 60 MPH....goodbye HP and torque.

I have already told my son that if he has any intention of getting a muscle car he better get it now because after 2007 I doubt if they will be around anymore until the next muscle car revival takes place about 30 years from now.

We, here at SVTPerformance.com, and speaking on the behalf of many other car-enthusiast forums, are dedicated to not allowing anything like that from EVER happening. I'm sure all here agree.... :beer:

P.S. I am not a moderator or anything.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Originally posted by Blk03SVTCobra
We, here at SVTPerformance.com, and speaking on the behalf of many other car-enthusiast forums, are dedicated to not allowing anything like that from EVER happening. I'm sure all here agree.... :beer:

P.S. I am not a moderator or anything.

I agree !!!!!!!! It took the auto industry too long the last time to come to their senses and two generations of car enthusiasts suffered for it. :beer:

Last edited:

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
SVT is not going away. Period. My buddy went down to the Anniversery in Tn. about a month or so ago and talked with (I believe the head of sales) who said the lighning will be bad as ever. Hopefully Smashedheadcat finds this thread to explain a little farther. So just have faith, SVT will last a while.

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
Why the hell would SVT die? Lightnings and Cobras are selling great, and always have. I don't see Ford having and sales drop (as it would DEFINITELY be in the magazines if it was), along with the comeback of the Camaro in 07, it would be STUPID to drop SVT now.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My dealer told me the same thing a few months ago after a meeting with Ford. Apparently they might dissolve SVT and produce special models under the Ford banner like they do with the Mach 1. Just a rumor, but it could happen. Ford has already killed the SVT Focus and might produce a turbo version without SVT's involvement. I've always said that with Carroll Shelby on the payroll there would be a tug of war as to who would build the next Cobra. We'll have to wait and see.

BlueSHO

i love lamp
Established Member
the turbo version is basically the european cosworth focus

and for the record electric motors made assloads of tq from just over 0 rpm's all the way up

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
those policies give you a car today that makes 400hp from 281 cubic inches and smells like rose petals from the tailpipe.

svt turns a profit, too. that means something in an industry where the goal of building a car isnt to sell the car but the car loan.

If Kerry gets elected you can bet it will happen because his policies are going to take the auto industry back to the conservation policies of the 1970's, specifically around the issues of alternative energy sources to reduce oil dependencies.

Last edited:

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
those policies give you a car today that makes 400hp from 281 cubic inches and smells like rose petals from the tailpipe.
:D

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Well, there's a couple of ways at looking at it. SVT was initially created to be a unique line of Ford performance vehicles during a period of time when Ford really didn't have performance as a top priority. Now, Ford seems to adapt to the performance-oriented market better than before, stepping up and competing. That said, I believe it would be foolish to dissolve the SVT moniker completely simply because of the attention its received over the past decade. Most enthusiasts recognize the SVT as meaning "special". Of course, if Ford and Shelby are banding together to produce "Shelby" models to build and sell, then the SVT moniker may be kicked to the curb for the sake of the legendary Shelby name.
Personally, I think it probably isn't that Ford will discard SVT, but rather the Cobra as the top of the line Mustang. Since the Ford GT has a likely short production life, I imagine Ford is serious about producing a Viper/Z06 true sports car competitor priced more in line with them and the since doing a re-invented Shelby Cobra concept, I suspect that Ford is seriously considering putting the name and image of Cobra into this class and doing something else with the top end Mustang. Of course, the door is also open to a Shelby GT-500 Mustang. Perhaps, the "Mustang Cobra" is indeed dead after 2004.
It could very well be that rather than cheapen the SVT image by putting Shelby tagged vehicles over them, they prefer to dissolve SVT. I'd personally rather see SVT disappear for the immediate future than for it to become just another badge and not be anything special.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
I hope SVT doesn't go away. I want the 2nd year of the next gen cobra. "SVT" just looks cool on the rear of a vehicle anyways.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Folks....just remember what happened in the 70's. We had gas prices go through the roof. Then the general liberal as* population began to bitch, moan and groan that there was no need for the auto industry to be making cars that were gas guzzlers and environmentally unsafe.

Well the environmental issue is pretty much academic given the advances in emissions technology. However over the last six months there has been a significant jump in gasoline prices and in the last 12 months there has been many occassions of grumblings coming from the liberal left about wanting alternative sources of energy including incentives to auto makers to make electric cars. And Kerry has made mention of that as part of his election platform policy.

So don't even begin to assume that will never happen because it was never expected either in the 1970's. You know we always seem to forget the past that always seems to end up repeating itself.

I for one would remain vigilent to makiing sure we don't go around assuming the high-performance auto industry is in safe waters because it isn't...no matter how it may appear to be OK now.

I would hate to have to write a message on this forum a couple years from now saying "I told you so...but as usual you all ignore those who have been there and done that before."

Last edited:

Billybong

I Am The Anti-Rice!
Established Member
There's lots of oil in Alaska but the liberals don't want to drill for it but they talk a good game about independence from middle east oil. Again they lie about the ANWR making everybody believe it some winter wonderland in reality it's nothing but frozen tundra.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
So don't even begin to assume that will never happen because it was never expected either in the 1970's. You know we always seem to forget the past that always seems to end up repeating itself.

I for one would remain vigilent to makiing sure we don't go around assuming the high-performance auto industry is in safe waters because it isn't...no matter how it may appear to be OK now.

I would hate to have to write a message on this forum a couple years from now saying "I told you so...but as usual you all ignore those who have been there and done that before."

Perhaps you misunderstand my original post. It's not that we/I assume it won't happen, it's that we/I and others like me/us will simply not allow this to happen. There are WAY too many people in this country (and the world for that matter) who will always want to drive the high performance cars: Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Bugati, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Aston Martin, Shelby, Saleen, SVT, Corvettes, Vipers, etc, etc, etc. The majority of those people are usually very wealthy and influential, also.

Believe me when I say it. The high-performance car enthusiasts will never go away, and thus, neither will the cars nor the demand thereof.

Just my $.02.

P.S. Just look at the number of people on this 1 forum alone. I am pretty darn sure that all of us here have absolutely no desire to see such things happen. And this forum makes up probably 1/1000000000000 of the online car forums to which only some of the high-performance car enthusiasts out there even post to. It's simple really.... There's just to darn many of us.... That's a good thing though :D :beer:

Last edited:

CobraSusie

Team Shelby Great Lakes State Director (Indiana)
Established Member
Originally posted by roushraven
I have heard from two different sources associated with MM&FFs that while there will be another Mustang Cobra it will not be an SVT Mustang Cobra. I also heard that the plans to build the next gen Lightning may be entirely scrapped. Any of you out there hear the same or similar?:shrug:
At
"Leadership Training" in Dearborn, Michigan back in April, in the Roush Garage,

They said the Cobra will not be out til 2007, and it will still be SVT,
as for the Lightning, it too will be out
(don't remember when) :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread