No more Lightning....

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Well there is no denying we are pretty much a Ford vehicle family, and since I’ve worked part time for Rehagen Racing the last three years in the Koni and Continental Tire series on their S197 mustangs, it seemed logical that I should find my way into a S197 car. I had been contemplating getting a used mustang GT for quite awhile and making it open track worthy. What I didn’t expect was to end up with this monster!

IMG_0637.jpg

I’ve known Bruce for several years through SVTOA track events even though I’m not sure exactly when we did meet. I always did kind of stick out though since I started open tracking my F-150 Lightning two months after driving it off the dealership lot :) So when I saw Bruce was selling his ’07 Shelby at a pretty low price, I had to have it if at all possible. So I talked to Bruce and set the wheels in motion to sell the Lightning and buy the Shelby. After one guy backing out on me, I started looking for other options to sell the truck and ended up doing the trade in option on Autotrader’s website. All went as planned and I walked out of the dealership with a check in my hand for the truck. A week and a half later I was in Wisconsin picking this bad boy up and haven’t regretted it for a moment!

As the car sat it already had several aftermarket mods, JLT intake, Corsa mufflers, Ford Racing suspension pack, MM panhard bar, MM caster camber plates, and a tune. Bruce told me it spun 509rwhp. I’ve only driven it several times before I had to put it away for the winter, but there is No Doubt (yeah that’s for you Bruce) that the car has that amount of power. The Ford Racing suspension is firm but for a younger (almost 30) guy it feels rather good. It does seem the car has a significant amount of road noise compared to other street S197’s I’ve driven but I will have to assume that is due to the MM panhard bar’s solid rod ends compared to the rubber bushing stock panhard bar.

Overall I am VERY happy with the car, and my biggest surprise is how much the car just likes to cruise. I was originally afraid I’d only like the car when it was doing it’s thing at wide open throttle but that hasn’t been the case at all. I don’t know if it’s the mufflers since I never drove it with the stock pieces but it sounds great just rolling along at part throttle. And being bright red with white stripes it gets looks from everyone, which will probably be my downfall with law enforcement.

I do have plans for a couple more little changes but nothing significant at this point. Looking to add an aluminum diff. cover with provisions for a diff. cooler in the future, rear lower control arms, poly bushings on the front arms and switching out the factory two piece driveshaft for a one piece aluminum one. Hopefully the money tree blossoms nicely in the spring :)

Anyways, the rest of my picture whoring of the car, sorry nothing as nice as the scenes Tob sets up for his car.

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

Last edited:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Greg,
When I sold the Lightning my mom kept repeating, "I can't believe you sold your truck!" As soon as she saw the car, she said, "Alright, I have to admit your traded up"

The car is phenominal for sure. I can't wait to get it on track and see just how slow I am ;)

racebronco2

Established Member
I too was thinking about getting that car but the wife was too afraid i was going to open track it like the cobra. I promised her i wouldn't. We are looking for a good deal on either a 5.0 gt or a 305hp v6.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I do have plans for a couple more little changes but nothing significant at this point. Looking to add an aluminum diff. cover with provisions for a diff. cooler in the future, rear lower control arms, poly bushings on the front arms and switching out the factory two piece driveshaft for a one piece aluminum one. Hopefully the money tree blossoms nicely in the spring :)

Tom:

That's a nice looking ride you have there! :-D Too bad you had to put it away so soon after getting it! :(

Do you really think you need a diff cooler on that car? I'm sure you're not planning on doing any enduros with it?!

Rear LCA's are something I pondered but didn't really see a huge need for them seeing I didn't drag race. Just do your research on the rear LCA's. I've seen a lot of guys tear up the poly bushings in some of the aftermarket offerings.

Speaking of rear axles, I'd replace that third link with the Roush replacement. It's da bomb!

Does anyone make a front LCA bushing in Delrin? I think FRPP has one don't they? I'd do that over poly every day of the week!

The one pc. driveshaft is pretty much a no brainer. I'd also think about changing the crank balancer to the '08 version.

Hey, it's your car now. You get to call the shots!! Enjoy it. It's a great car!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Carlos,

I hear ya, the 2011 cars are awesome for sure:thumbsup:

Tom:

That's a nice looking ride you have there! :-D Too bad you had to put it away so soon after getting it! :(

You're telling me, I'm waiting for spring like a fat kid waiting for a cake to get out of the oven!

Do you really think you need a diff cooler on that car? I'm sure you're not planning on doing any enduros with it?!

Don't really need one, but if I can get a decent price for one it can't hurt;-)

Rear LCA's are something I pondered but didn't really see a huge need for them seeing I didn't drag race. Just do your research on the rear LCA's. I've seen a lot of guys tear up the poly bushings in some of the aftermarket offerings.

I'm contemplating spherical end lower arms, at the very least it will have FR500C arms.

Speaking of rear axles, I'd replace that third link with the Roush replacement. It's da bomb!

I have looked at it, haven't played with one yet though so I'll probably hold off on that for now until I see a reason. Granted the Cammer motor makes less power so it's not an equal comparison but I've heard it's good to have that small amount of compliance from the upper bushing. I'll have to do some more asking around on that as well :thumbsup:

Does anyone make a front LCA bushing in Delrin? I think FRPP has one don't they? I'd do that over poly every day of the week!

I was planning on using the bushings out of the Grand Am parts list. I've seen the Steeda bushings and rear mount and don't really like them compared to the Multimatic pieces. The Multimatic piece is definitely $$ though compared to the Steeda unit though. I haven't seen too much else on the market to be honest so I'll have to see what's out there before I actually spend any money.

The one pc. driveshaft is pretty much a no brainer. I'd also think about changing the crank balancer to the '08 version.

Hey, it's your car now. You get to call the shots!! Enjoy it. It's a great car!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

I'll have to ask a guy I know about that balancer idea. He seems to have a good amount of knowledge on that and where I can get one for a reasonable price;-)

It's definitely a great car and I know it's WAY faster than I am, so there is going to be a decent learning curve when I get to the track. I also have to remember this thing doesn't have mud tires so I'll have to be more careful about keeping it out of the grass:lol:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
It's definitely a great car and I know it's WAY faster than I am, so there is going to be a decent learning curve when I get to the track. I also have to remember this thing doesn't have mud tires so I'll have to be more careful about keeping it out of the grass:lol:

It's also about 1,000# lighter! ;-)

Listen to me, calling that car light! :p

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
It's also about 1,000# lighter! ;-)

Listen to me, calling that car light! :p

I think we can both agree that it's not LIGHT, but it is light-ER, at least than what I'm used to slinging around a racetrack :-D

wheelhopper

Established Member
Nice to see the car stay on SVTP and go to someone who will still track it.

I bet spend less on brakes and tires vs. the Lightning also.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Nice to see the car stay on SVTP and go to someone who will still track it.

I bet spend less on brakes and tires vs. the Lightning also.

I have no idea what difference there will be in operating costs, I never kept close track of it because I really didn't want to know:uh oh: The Shelby does get better gas mileage though, well at least while cruising ;-)

Gray Ghost GT

Established Member
Congratulations on a really sharp looking GT500 that's ready for the road courses in 2011! You're going to have a BLAST! Mike

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Very nice Tom! I'll have to see if I can keep up at Gingerman next season!

:beer:

Sounds good, it's always fun to have someone to play around with on track:beer:

What is the deal with that Fairmont? Is it for sale?

Yup, I have a for sale ad on corner-carvers and corral under this same user name if you want to see pictures and more details about the car.:thumbsup:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Great car...Bruce made my butt cheeks pucker in the passenger seat (No Homo)

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
Tom,

Congrats on the car!!! Looks really nice and we all know Bruce can hook up a car for the track. So now the question is when are you talking it down to VIR???

-Rick

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Great car...Bruce made my butt cheeks pucker in the passenger seat (No Homo)

Well I didn't notice any stains so you must have clenched hard enough:-D

Tom,

Congrats on the car!!! Looks really nice and we all know Bruce can hook up a car for the track. So now the question is when are you talking it down to VIR???

-Rick

That is all a matter of money my friend! I doubt it will be this summer but I definitely want to get down there one of these years:beer:

I want one for a LeMons car... that might be a good candidate.

That was actually discussed in the corner-carvers FS thread:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread