No Ford purchase.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
My dads 20 year old craftsman mower is having issues. Can't seem to get the mower to work any more. Engine runs strong though. I should suggest him looking for some of these out here.

Considering how crappy the new mass market mowers are built and how expensive they are, I'd be looking to put a couple hundred bucks into what he has if it's not a total piece.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Considering how crappy the new mass market mowers are built and how expensive they are, I'd be looking to put a couple hundred bucks into what he has if it's not a total piece.

Its not a total POS, and runs pretty good despite no maintenance lol. I think its had oil changed twice, and has thousands of hours on it. It does run good, just the mower part doesn't always work.

Its just a matter of no one local works with them anymore, and its a couple hundred just to have someone drive up and look at it. Then pay for parts and another visit. He hasn't decided what he wants to do with it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Its not a total POS, and runs pretty good despite no maintenance lol. I think its had oil changed twice, and has thousands of hours on it. It does run good, just the mower part doesn't always work.

Its just a matter of no one local works with them anymore, and its a couple hundred just to have someone drive up and look at it. Then pay for parts and another visit. He hasn't decided what he wants to do with it.

With essentially no maintenance it's probably not worth fixing. However, if he treats a new Craftsman the same as that one I'd be surprised if it lasts 5 years.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
With essentially no maintenance it's probably not worth fixing. However, if he treats a new Craftsman the same as that one I'd be surprised if it lasts 5 years.

you would be surprised how well it runs.

Verde

Established Member
That is awesome, I would highly recommend a mild restoration just to pretty it up, but don't drive yourself crazy over it. It will definitely make for an awesome memory for your kids, I am telling you from personal experience.

My family has a 1967 Jacobsen tractor that my grandfather bought new in '67. I learned how to drive it when I was maybe 5 years old, and we still have it doing work around my parents' house to this day. 2 years ago my father had the hood resprayed in the original color, replaced the decals, and he rewrapped the seat.

It will be a family heirloom, I have already called dibs on the tractor. I don't think my brother is going to fight me for it.

Best pictures I could find on short notice:
IBkGSH3.jpg
anJIICZ.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread