No crank, no start - assistance needed diagnosing

MG0h3

Established Member
hmmm ya I get that train of thought. Not likely that it would result in drawing so much load to kill the battery and leave him with no power to anywhere in the car though.

Awtblo

03 OW Cobra
Established Member
@MG0h3

You're correct, I apparently didn't process that part of the post.

I took the no start and ran with it, sounds to me he's got a dead short to ground or lack of connection somewhere along the line.

I'm leaning towards battery cables/connections and starter/terminals.

2003SVTFreak

Established Member
OP have you tried banging the starter with a hammer to see if it will turn over?
Might just be a bad starter.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Here is where I'm at..

Car ran..shut off now nothing..

Changed battery still nothing..

Car has a short some where

If he can push start car and it starts..

It may effect what is causing issue..

Or when running a wiggle test may show something.

When I had issue like this it was while driving..car just shit off..

After some wiggling I found a crack in connector on radiator support.it wasn't broken off

MG0h3

Established Member
Well thats one way of doing it but why do that when you can do voltage drop tests with a voltmeter while the failure is happening? Guess I just dont get why you would push start a car that wont crank and has no key on engine off power. It solves nothing.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Well thats one way of doing it but why do that when you can do voltage drop tests with a voltmeter while the failure is happening? Guess I just dont get why you would push start a car that wont crank and has no key on engine off power. It solves nothing.
He said power is fine till he goes to start it..than after it sits it will reset..
If I'm reading his post proper..

I've had multiple battery and clamp issues causing no start..but never effecting power to car..

Op...

Have you replaced terminals?

If yes..I did the painted ones..found issues with those..paint in clamping area caused bad connection..after cleaning there they seem to work

speedoflife

Established Member
Sorry about the lack of replies.

Life happens. Now I need to get my car running.

I disconnected my battery terminals and cleaned the copper wires and all points of connections with steel wool until they were shiny. I cleaned the ground near the oil filter as well. I checked all easily visible connections.

I had left the battery connected, and when I went to test start the car, it was at 6v. So I have a parasitic drain, short, or my battery is just plain shot. The battery is only 6 months old. I will try to charge the battery/try a completely different battery tomorrow.

speedoflife

Established Member
After cleaning everything up the car started right away. I don't know if it was the terminals or the ground. I have a very slow oil leak coming from what I think is the oil cooler. This might have made the ground that is right there has.
Simple fix for this problem. Thanks for the help y'all!

Users who are viewing this thread