Nj obd system readiness status

Ridehard

Established Member
I just bought my car and failed inspection because all of my I/M Monitors show as unsupported. The previous owner tuned the car back in 2006.

How can I turn the monitors back on so I can get the car inpected? Next problem will probably be that when I do turn them on the check engine light will come on but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Try looking up the drive cycle on google. That'll tell you how to get the monitors ready for test. If that doesn't do it then they've been turned off in the tune. The only way to change that is to get a new tune.

Ridehard

Established Member
Try looking up the drive cycle on google. That'll tell you how to get the monitors ready for test. If that doesn't do it then they've been turned off in the tune. The only way to change that is to get a new tune.

Can those SCT tuners turn them back on?

The emission laws changed awhile back. Went through this myself. New tune will be necessary to pass. 10 out of the 12 categories read as unsupported in my old tune that I got back in '07.

Ridehard

Established Member
My tune was done back in 06 all of mine show as unsupported. Is there any particular model SCT I should get? I'm familiar with how motorcycles are tuned but not cars. On a motorcycle I can just hook a laptop up to the power commander and save the current map (tune) and then load the stock map. After that I easily switch back to the custom tune.

I'm not sure if this is possible on a car. I dont want to lose my current tune. I would like to turn the monitors on without losing the tune, complete a drive cycle and pray the CEL doesn't come on, and go straight to the inpspection station.

If the CEL does come on the plan would be to load the stock tune while saving the custom tune somehow and repeat the steps above. Is this possible and if so which SCT do I need?

01yellercobra

Established Member
What was used to tune the car before? Is it chipped or was a hand held tuner used? If it's chipped then all you have to do is pull the chip and it'll be stock. With a hand held the stock tune is saved and there's an option to return to stock.

Although since you're asking which model to get I'm going to guess you didn't get a hand held with the car. If that's the case pull the passenger side kick panel to get to the ECU. Pull the ECU out and see if there's a chip in the top. It'll be obvious if there is. If there isn't and you didn't get a hand held then you can look into going to the dealer to get a stock tune reflashed into the computer. However, since you're supercharged more then likely you don't have the stock MAF and injectors. Which is going to cause the car to run horribly and will probably throw codes.

Your best bet will probably be to get a new tune like 01cobra said.

Ridehard

Established Member
What was used to tune the car before? Is it chipped or was a hand held tuner used? If it's chipped then all you have to do is pull the chip and it'll be stock. With a hand held the stock tune is saved and there's an option to return to stock.

Although since you're asking which model to get I'm going to guess you didn't get a hand held with the car. If that's the case pull the passenger side kick panel to get to the ECU. Pull the ECU out and see if there's a chip in the top. It'll be obvious if there is. If there isn't and you didn't get a hand held then you can look into going to the dealer to get a stock tune reflashed into the computer. However, since you're supercharged more then likely you don't have the stock MAF and injectors. Which is going to cause the car to run horribly and will probably throw codes.

Your best bet will probably be to get a new tune like 01cobra said.

Thank you this is very helpful. The previous owner had it tuned and the receipt I have says that it has a chip but I will check for myself. After taking the chip out can I put it back in to return to the custom tune?

Once I locate a tuner in my area I will save some money and have it tuned. It's been 5 years since the last tune so who knows if what is in there is running optimally.

I'd like to be able to buy something to datalog the car myself. Any suggestions?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yes. When you plug the chip back in it will be back on the performance tune. For datalogging I use my Xcal2 with Livelink. I'm not sure what's out there for those without hand held tuners.

slowassgt

Established Member
if you dont have the xcal or preditor that is married to the car you might have to take it back to the dealer and get the pcm reflashed just to get through.

Wildman113

Established Member
I am having the exact same problem!!

I bought an '04 Cobra in Maryland and when I brought it to inspection in NJ, all the OBDII monitors were set to "Unsupported". Therefore it automatically failed, because by default the misfire monitor, catalyst, EVAP, ect have to be functional since every car made after '96 has those monitors by default.

I contacted the shop that tuned my car, which is Horsepower by Hermann, and he said he is going to send me a new tune that I can use just to get through inspection. Then I have to put the other tune back on in order for the car to run properly with the mods it has (I/E/Pulley).

What I don't undertstand is this....coming from the GM LSX platform and using HP Tuners, you can easily set the OBDII monitors to "Ready", even if the components no longer exist. So even though my LSX car has no cats, AIR, or EGR, those monitors are permanently set to ready, while the misfire monitor, EVAP, and other are still functional.

I'm hoping someone familiar with SCT/Mustang Tuning can shed some light on this subject!! :beer:

Last edited:

bergs

Established Member
like its already been said above I think you will need a new tune to pass man.

i'm going through this shit now. My car was tuned before the inspection rules changed and it passed 2 years ago. This time it came up as unsupported. My tuner emailed me a inpection friendly tune and now it is supported but i still have the evap and cat monitors not ready. I'm hoping some more driving will get the evap ready at least. I'm going to try the ford drive cycles.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
^ Bergs is your car still for sale?

Edit: NVM saw your FS ad on NJStangers. I still think about your car man, if the right offer comes around would you still consider selling her?

Last edited:

Wildman113

Established Member
like its already been said above I think you will need a new tune to pass man.

i'm going through this shit now. My car was tuned before the inspection rules changed and it passed 2 years ago. This time it came up as unsupported. My tuner emailed me a inpection friendly tune and now it is supported but i still have the evap and cat monitors not ready. I'm hoping some more driving will get the evap ready at least. I'm going to try the ford drive cycles.

You should still be able to pass with up to 2 monitors not ready, I believe that is the limit.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
I am having the exact same problem!!

I bought an '04 Cobra in Maryland and when I brought it to inspection in NJ, all the OBDII monitors were set to "Unsupported". Therefore it automatically failed, because by default the misfire monitor, catalyst, EVAP, ect have to be functional since every car made after '96 has those monitors by default.

I contacted the shop that tuned my car, which is Horsepower by Hermann, and he said he is going to send me a new tune that I can use just to get through inspection. Then I have to put the other tune back on in order for the car to run properly with the mods it has (I/E/Pulley).

What I don't undertstand is this....coming from the GM LSX platform and using HP Tuners, you can easily set the OBDII monitors to "Ready", even if the components no longer exist. So even though my LSX car has no cats, AIR, or EGR, those monitors are permanently set to ready, while the misfire monitor, EVAP, and other are still functional.

I'm hoping someone familiar with SCT/Mustang Tuning can shed some light on this subject!! :beer:

im having the same problems as well. why cant we set all of our monitors to ready like the LSX platform?

Aubz

Established Member
Really hate to bring back an old thread but a buddy of mine just had the same thing happen, took it to the tuner and he fixed the tune, says its good to go. He said it wont hurt performance in any way. My question is, if shutting all of those monitors off does nothing for performance, why do tuners shut them off?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread