• 275/40/20 Nitto NTO5

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • 275/40/20 MT Street Comp

Votes: 32 58.2%

• Total voters

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
if you want a great "street tire" the Pilot Super Sport simply cannot be beat.

I agree 100%, and why they will be on my Forgestars wheels.

Love my Conti Extreme Contact DW's. they hook great on the street.

I had DW's on my 2009 GT500. They were quiet, rode great, longer than expected tread wear, and great wet road ability. They are/were superior in dry traction compared to OEM Goodyear Eagle F1 tires as well. However, the sidewalls are soft causing steering response that isn't crisp and accurate. This is where Pilot Super Sports take pole position over the DW's.

Last edited:

4VFTW

Established Member
Exactly, I don't want a Drag Radial. My friends Paxton car makes 520whp uncorrected and hooks just fine in 2nd gear on the street with a 275 NTO5(non "R"). I'm thinking these will be great for my car as well.
I wish you luck...they dont hook for me at 400whp.

tittermary

Established Member
You are saying that the treadwear rating is an ambiguous number...That is a industry standard set by the NHTSA and each tire manufacture gets their wear rating from them..

incorrect, tread wear comparison is only valid within the the same manufactures line.

badblackhemi

Established Member
didn't realize you weren't looking at the dr. if you want a great "street tire" the Pilot Super Sport simply cannot be beat.

^^^This! I have the PSS's and they are awesome (tune/exhaust '11 5.0) I can actually give it a decent amount of gas even in the rain. I drive my car everyday and these have never let me down whether it be in the rain or from a dig against a modded 4x4 diesel.
Edit. Sorry OP, just saw that u didn't want to spend the $$$ on the Michelin's

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
I've owned michelin pss and they are a good tire but I feel the bridgestone RE11 is a better tire overall. I'm gonna run RE11's on my forgestars they have a lower treadwear rating than michelin but actually last just as long. If i run a DR it'll be more for hard street racing and the drag like the street comp 2's or prostreets.

numbnutz

Established Member
Went into my local Discount Tire today and inquired about the NT05R ( currently have Invo's) for the rears since adding my Paxton and they said Nitto no longer makes them and that they were a one time run? Anyone know about this?

Cruzinaround

Same Tires As the Coopers

Mickey Thompson is owned by Cooper tires. So if you're looking at the Mickey Thompson Street Comps....These are the same tires as the Cooper Zeon RS3-S. Which is the same tires that come equipped on the Roush Mustangs. They actually out-perform the Michelin Pilots in every category and can bump around better than the Eagle F1 Supercar tires. These are far and above the Nitto's as far as a summer streetable tire. I believe if there is any difference between the Mickeys and the Coopers its possibly a minor difference in silica compound. But both tires have the same mileage wear ratings.

I've tried on my three Mustangs and SRT4 the BF Goodrich Comp TA, Michelins PS2's, Nitto NT555 and the Good Year F1's... After getting on these Coopers aka Mickey's.... The rest just don't compare. These Coopers/Mickeys always hook up for a Street tire and perform above the field in the rain.

Yes, I'm that crazy about the most important part of the vehicle....My Tires.

gnewton

Established Member
slicks

Just as the title says. I am in need of new rear tires and am stuck between the Nitto NTO5 street tire and the Mickey Thompson Street comp. Both are about the same price, and both come with free shipping.

Here are the 2 tires in specific.
NT05

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-90000001618/overview/

Edit: Car is daily driven about 1000 miles a month, I have winter tires. I care more about traction than longevity but I don't want to run a Drag radial right now.

Which would you choose and why?

do you know who makes an 18 inch slick (not DR) for 2014 Shelby (MT & Hoosier do not)

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Mickey Thompson is owned by Cooper tires. So if you're looking at the Mickey Thompson Street Comps....These are the same tires as the Cooper Zeon RS3-S. Which is the same tires that come equipped on the Roush Mustangs. They actually out-perform the Michelin Pilots in every category and can bump around better than the Eagle F1 Supercar tires. These are far and above the Nitto's as far as a summer streetable tire. I believe if there is any difference between the Mickeys and the Coopers its possibly a minor difference in silica compound. But both tires have the same mileage wear ratings.

I've tried on my three Mustangs and SRT4 the BF Goodrich Comp TA, Michelins PS2's, Nitto NT555 and the Good Year F1's... After getting on these Coopers aka Mickey's.... The rest just don't compare. These Coopers/Mickeys always hook up for a Street tire and perform above the field in the rain.

Yes, I'm that crazy about the most important part of the vehicle....My Tires.

The Mickey Thompson and the RS3-S may have the same tread pattern, but the compound used to make the tires appears to be a lot different. I say this having owned the MT and knowing people with the Roush running the RS3-S. The Mickey Thompson tires are insanely stiff tires. Kinda threw me off the first time I got to feel them. Even at low tire pressures they feel extremely stiff, specially the sidewalls.

The RS3-S feel the exact opposite of this.

Now, that being said, I have zero traction issues with the MTSC, except at the drag strip. I've seen better traction from PSS everytime on the drag strip compared to my MTSC.

I know I know, different car etc. etc. still they were always beating me off the line while I was sitting and spinning.

hopony

Established Member
You are saying that the treadwear rating is an ambiguous number...That is a industry standard set by the NHTSA and each tire manufacture gets their wear rating from them. However, YMMV when using tires because of road surface and driving habits. If you use a tire with a 200 rating I wouldnt expect them to last more than 10k miles if you use them on the drive axle and no more than 15-18k with regular 5k rotations. I have used tires with these ratings before and that is my experience. The DR's you listed are all tires that will get burned up in 5k miles maybe a little more maybe a little less. Depends on the cars power, burnouts and street racing. I'm sure if you cruise around with them and get on the throttle a few times they will last nearly 10k miles but whats the point of buying them if you are going to drive like that.

I would compare the Nitto NT05 to these other tires; Falken 615's, Dunlop Star specs and Hankook V12's. I'm sure there a few others but I cant think of their names.

Each tire manufacturer has a tire they rate at a 100. They then compare how long a specific tire lasts compared to the 100 rated tire. A 400 from the same company would last 4 times the miles of the 100 tire. Unfortunately every company has a different 100.

ExTurbo

Established Member
The Mickey Thompson and the RS3-S may have the same tread pattern, but the compound used to make the tires appears to be a lot different. I say this having owned the MT and knowing people with the Roush running the RS3-S. The Mickey Thompson tires are insanely stiff tires. Kinda threw me off the first time I got to feel them. Even at low tire pressures they feel extremely stiff, specially the sidewalls.

The RS3-S feel the exact opposite of this.

Now, that being said, I have zero traction issues with the MTSC, except at the drag strip. I've seen better traction from PSS everytime on the drag strip compared to my MTSC.

I know I know, different car etc. etc. still they were always beating me off the line while I was sitting and spinning.

love the MTSC on the street, however spin city at the track, coudnt do any better than a 2.2 60' and even at 27lbs of air they didnt feel any softer. However they make for a great tire to tear around an offramp :)

That being said i can get the MTSC to spin on the street no problem, now that its getting colder especially. dreading putting those crappy pzeros back on :(

Last edited:

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
love the MTSC on the street, however spin city at the track, coudnt do any better than a 2.2 60' and even at 27lbs of air they didnt feel any softer. However they make for a great tire to tear around an offramp :)

That being said i can get the MTSC to spin on the street no problem, now that its getting colder especially. dreading putting those crappy pzeros back on :(

Really? Mods in my sig, and I can't spin them for shit on the street. Unless it is wet out.

I have found that they love 35PSI cold. Warm, the lowest I could go before completely killing traction was 33PSI.

burke985

Established Member
well i know for a fact that street comps will not hook for shit at the track , it was spin city when me and my brother went . My falkens actually had a better shitty 60' than his MTSC. 2.2was the best , 2.0 with the falkens and cars were about equal in power at the time around 415 at the wheels

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
well i know for a fact that street comps will not hook for shit at the track , it was spin city when me and my brother went . My falkens actually had a better shitty 60' than his MTSC. 2.2was the best , 2.0 with the falkens and cars were about equal in power at the time around 415 at the wheels

track is far different than the street. If you look at what I said, I did have trouble at the track. On the street I cannot break them free. For me this is fine, I auto x more than drag race along with driving twisties. I prefer a tire with excellent street grip and bad track grip over a tire with ehhh street grip and decent track grip.

personal opinion there.

ExTurbo

Established Member
Really? Mods in my sig, and I can't spin them for shit on the street. Unless it is wet out.

I have found that they love 35PSI cold. Warm, the lowest I could go before completely killing traction was 33PSI.

yea its not terrible, for the most part i get decent traction with them, however i can spin them at the right RPM. if i shift from first to second in a hurry it'll spin most of the way through second. Then again i probably have less than 500 miles on them, not that ive taken the first layer of tire off they are starting to grip more

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
yea its not terrible, for the most part i get decent traction with them, however i can spin them at the right RPM. if i shift from first to second in a hurry it'll spin most of the way through second. Then again i probably have less than 500 miles on them, not that ive taken the first layer of tire off they are starting to grip more

lol yeah I've got a boss mani so I plenty of times have at 45mph downshifted straight into second and gone WOT and the car just grabs and goes. I don't remember if I had issues in the beginning or not. Then again when I put them on the car it was 30 degrees outside lol.

Users who are viewing this thread