• 275/40/20 Nitto NTO5

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • 275/40/20 MT Street Comp

Votes: 32 58.2%

• Total voters

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Just as the title says. I am in need of new rear tires and am stuck between the Nitto NTO5 street tire and the Mickey Thompson Street comp. Both are about the same price, and both come with free shipping.

Here are the 2 tires in specific.
NT05

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-90000001618/overview/

Edit: Car is daily driven about 1000 miles a month, I have winter tires. I care more about traction than longevity but I don't want to run a Drag radial right now.

Which would you choose and why?

Last edited:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I'm thinking the Nitto will work better as well. I have a friend with a 640whp Paxton coyote with the 275 NOT5's(not the "R") and his car hooks up just fine from a 40 mph roll. I just want my car to hook up from a 25mph hit instead of blowing the tires off.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
the nt05 is a much better drag radial than the 555r for sure, nitto did a great job with that one.

vs the mt's you posted, def the nt05

4VFTW

Established Member
huge difference between a NT05 and a NT05R. you will spin a NT05 mercilessly on the street. I've managed a 1.870 60' on my NT05's but they spin on the 2nd gear shift with an A6. I should have manned up and bought the R's

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
huge difference between a NT05 and a NT05R. you will spin a NT05 mercilessly on the street. I've managed a 1.870 60' on my NT05's but they spin on the 2nd gear shift with an A6. I should have manned up and bought the R's

:shrug:My buddies paxton car hooks just fine in 2nd with the NTO5. Thats why i was considering them.

poof100

Established Member
The MT Street Comp tire is more like Nitto's 555 tire and the regular NT05 is softer, closer to a Drag Radial but not one. I'm running the MT Street Comps in the front but MT ET Street Radial 2s in the rear, which are comparable to the Nitto NT05Rs.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I have the street comps and might be the suspension mods but with 3.73 gears and MT trannie I can't spin them for shit. The car just hooks. On the street that is, having work done replacing bearings in the axle monday then I'll probably try and get them to one of the tracks for a few runs.

Another guy I know has the NT05s and he likes them a lot, but the one thing he always says, is don't get caught in the rain, they have next to no traction.

I still drive 80 on the highway with it raining with the street comps and while with it wet they will loose traction, I am still amazed they hold as well as they do.

I'd also like to point out I had the street comps on the car in 25 degree weather and they still held better than my stock pzero neros.

Last edited:

BDFabrizio

Registered Abuser
Established Member
I have the street comps and might be the suspension mods but with 3.73 gears and MT trannie I can't spin them for shit. The car just hooks. On the street that is, having work done replacing bearings in the axle monday then I'll probably try and get them to one of the tracks for a few runs.

Another guy I know has the NT05s and he likes them a lot, but the one thing he always says, is don't get caught in the rain, they have next to no traction.

I still drive 80 on the highway with it raining with the street comps and while with it wet they will loose traction, I am still amazed they hold as well as they do.

I'd also like to point out I had the street comps on the car in 25 degree weather and they still held better than my stock pzero neros.

Its got to be your suspension mods. I have the same tires and can break them loose at will. The best I've managed to get out of them on the track is a 1.90 60' / 12.20 and thats shifting easy. If I get aggressive with the shifting they'll break loose and actually spin going into 3rd.

Teej281

Established Member
Guys, treadwear is relative only within a tire company. The MT street comp tires have a 300 treadwear because everything else that Mickey Thompson makes has a treadwear of 0. So in comparison, it has a much higher treadwear than their other tires. Hell, Hoosier drag radials have a treadwear of 40...tell me how that's even possible when they wear out even quicker than nt05r's, bfg dr's, and even mt dr's, all who have a similar tread depth and a wear rating of 0. The treadwear number is really only important if you're comparing tires of the same company. The sport comps are compared to Michelin pilot sport 2's if I'm not mistaken. For a street setup, street comps would get my vote. I've had the nt05's on the rear of my 02 irs equipped gt. they hook pretty well but lasted me less than a year. Only got like 10k out of them. Street comps should treat you well. Either tire is going to spin some, but I like the street comp for street use.

4VFTW

Established Member
:shrug:My buddies paxton car hooks just fine in 2nd with the NTO5. Thats why i was considering them.
NT05's are not drag radials period. they are soft summer street radials...paxton car hooking on them I find to be all but impossible...maybe at MIR? maybe. lol

I'm actually very surprised at how well the NT05's work in the rain. when you look at the tread you figure there is no way they will stay stuck in the rain and im gonna die , but they hold the road very well unless you get stupid with the long pedal in a turn. I researched them before I bought them and every review I saw said they worked well in the rain also.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Most GT500 owners with massive low rpm torque agree that the NT05R is a better hooking tire than any drag radial from MT.

However, this thread is about the non "R" model, so I have no idea.

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
didn't realize you weren't looking at the dr. if you want a great "street tire" the Pilot Super Sport simply cannot be beat.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
NT05's are not drag radials period. they are soft summer street radials...paxton car hooking on them I find to be all but impossible...maybe at MIR? maybe. lolQUOTE]

Exactly, I don't want a Drag Radial. My friends Paxton car makes 520whp uncorrected and hooks just fine in 2nd gear on the street with a 275 NTO5(non "R"). I'm thinking these will be great for my car as well.

Stanger00

Established Member
Guys, treadwear is relative only within a tire company. The MT street comp tires have a 300 treadwear because everything else that Mickey Thompson makes has a treadwear of 0. So in comparison, it has a much higher treadwear than their other tires. Hell, Hoosier drag radials have a treadwear of 40...tell me how that's even possible when they wear out even quicker than nt05r's, bfg dr's, and even mt dr's, all who have a similar tread depth and a wear rating of 0. The treadwear number is really only important if you're comparing tires of the same company. The sport comps are compared to Michelin pilot sport 2's if I'm not mistaken. For a street setup, street comps would get my vote. I've had the nt05's on the rear of my 02 irs equipped gt. they hook pretty well but lasted me less than a year. Only got like 10k out of them. Street comps should treat you well. Either tire is going to spin some, but I like the street comp for street use.

You are saying that the treadwear rating is an ambiguous number...That is a industry standard set by the NHTSA and each tire manufacture gets their wear rating from them. However, YMMV when using tires because of road surface and driving habits. If you use a tire with a 200 rating I wouldnt expect them to last more than 10k miles if you use them on the drive axle and no more than 15-18k with regular 5k rotations. I have used tires with these ratings before and that is my experience. The DR's you listed are all tires that will get burned up in 5k miles maybe a little more maybe a little less. Depends on the cars power, burnouts and street racing. I'm sure if you cruise around with them and get on the throttle a few times they will last nearly 10k miles but whats the point of buying them if you are going to drive like that.

I would compare the Nitto NT05 to these other tires; Falken 615's, Dunlop Star specs and Hankook V12's. I'm sure there a few others but I cant think of their names.

Users who are viewing this thread