Nitto NT05 vs Toyo R888

*SVT*

What next?
Established Member
My NT555R'a are about ready to be replaced. They are good tires but looking for a stiffer side wall. I will be doing a few mods to the car and it should be over 500RWHP. This is my daily driver. I live in South Florida and we get a shit load of rain in the rainy season. I mean torrential down pours with lots of standing water. I want something that will hook good and also handle the rain. i've done a lot of searching and have gotten mixed reviews. Right now I'm 452RWHP and the NT555R's hook up great. They aren't too bad in the rain, but haven't driven with them in the rainy season (summer).

Also looking for something that will last more then 5,000 miles.
Any other suggestion besides what I've talked about?

Who's had both and what are your opinions?
Thanks

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
The NTO5's are the best bang for the buck. The R888's are an open track R compound tire that will give you great cornering and straight line performance. That tire only has a 100 tread wear rating compared to the 220 of the NTO5's. The R888's cost more and will last the least.

mach1033

Established Member
I wouldn't drive on NT05's in a torrential downpour. R888 grip nice in wet conditions.

My NTO5's were fine in the rain. In a torrential down pour I drive really slow anyway but in normal rain the tire was fine. NTO5R's are a much different story.

KILRSVT

Established Member
I've tracked my car with R888 in a down pour I wasn't driving 100 mph but they still managed to stick. You can drives R888 in the rain no problem and you can hook in dry weather like no tomorrow however there only 100 tread wear so they wear pretty quick . I've got them on my stockers 275/40 all around I've driven on them for around 3 months and took a lot meat off. I've got Fr500 with street tires now..I use the toyo's for ot or auto x now.... I would recommend it all around weather great tire.

Jack Burton

Established Member
I have the Toyo R888's on mine. My only mods are o/r h-pipe and c/b. So, with my power level, I dead hook with mine when the tires are warm, even in first gear. I also live in FL, so I know all about the torrential rain. I've been caught in some downpours in the car and I haven't had any problems driving it. As others have mentioned, the only real downsides to the tire are that they are expensive, and that they wear out fairly quickly. The hot summer FL roads chew up tires pretty quick. So, since your car is your dd, also take that into consideration (cost).

*SVT*

What next?
Established Member
I have the Toyo R888's on mine. My only mods are o/r h-pipe and c/b. So, with my power level, I dead hook with mine when the tires are warm, even in first gear. I also live in FL, so I know all about the torrential rain. I've been caught in some downpours in the car and I haven't had any problems driving it. As others have mentioned, the only real downsides to the tire are that they are expensive, and that they wear out fairly quickly. The hot summer FL roads chew up tires pretty quick. So, since your car is your dd, also take that into consideration (cost).

Yeah the more I hear about how fast they wear and considering the price, I'm leaning towards the NT05.

KILRSVT

Established Member
Yeah toyos wear quick but they are worth it IMHO ... However both are good tired good luck... I can't grab 1st but I can hook 2nd and I'm at 550 rear hp with the whipple

Last edited:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Just to be clear NT05's are not drag radials but NT05r's are, hence the r? Correct?

93foxbody

Established Member
I have the R888's and LOVE them. They also have over 15k on them and still have several thousand left, all miles were put on in less than a year. When these wear out, I will deffinetley be buying another set.

nol300

Established Member
Answer.

photobucket-1878-1325899020805.jpg

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
I run the R888s on my car as a street tire. They hook up great even with the power I am pushing. They are also used by race teams as their rain tires so that should tell you about how well they work in the wet. :rockon:

*SVT*

What next?
Established Member
I have the R888's and LOVE them. They also have over 15k on them and still have several thousand left, all miles were put on in less than a year. When these wear out, I will deffinetley be buying another set.

That's encouraging news.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Good lord, $300 for one R888?

The NT05's aren't even $200.

I cant imagine the R888's compensating for that $100 just by how well they hook.

Users who are viewing this thread