Nitrous Question

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
I have a ford EFI NX nitrous wet kit with the Gen-x upgrade collecting dust in my cellar. I took it off my 01 Cobra before I traded it in.

I might use a small shot down the road maybe. Someone told me a dry system is what I want to go with on an 03.....why is the wet kit a bad idea? anyone?

Dave

Juiced-03

Established Member
Well I never liked the wet kits only because I have known a few people who had a fuel puddling problem and their intake blew through their hood! That would mean our supercharger would blow and that would be very expensive. If you use a shot below a 50, a dry kit with the nozzle placed before the MAF works very well. The computer will compensate more fuel if you keep the shots under 50. More than 50 and I would want a flip chip tuned for the car or perhaps the new 03 Cobra specific Edelbrock dry kit! There are many people who have dry kits (Compucar makes a nice dry kit) with great success. There are also several people who have wet kits with no problems also.

People say fuel puddling only occurs with driver error (ie: spraying before 3000 rpm's) but I know some people who said they sprayed way after 3000 and still had problems. I mean people dont want to blow up their cars on purpose! I think it is a crap shoot with wet nitrous. You either get huge gains or you get a huge repair bill. So far though I have heard no problems related to wet or dry kits for that matter on the 03 Cobra.

You obviously have some experience in the nitrous game from your last Cobra, so I say give it a shot (no pun intended)!!! Stick to about a 50 shot and make sure it looks good on the dyno. Get a nice set of colder plugs and make sure your car is in good running shape (fuel filter is new, injectors have been cleaned, etc.). If I had a wet kit I would put it on! I just wouldnt go out and buy one. I hear wet kits hit a little harder on the street that dry kits though. Maybe PoisonousMods will chime in. He had a 50 shot wet kit on his 03!

Last edited:

stangfreak

Established Member
juiced, since you have a nitrous kit already, what would a 30 shot of nitrous add to a car with a 2.80 pulley, catback, CAI, you know the normal stuff. i heard it really makes a difference.

Juiced-03

Established Member
I actually sold my nitrous kit to a member on this board last week. But I am plan on something a little different with dyno results to come ;-)

A 30 shot with those mods and a nice tune might be enough to get you to the 500rwhp mark or pretty damn close! Most people put down 460-475 with those mods. A 30 shot usually yields around 40hp or more on supercharged cars due to the cooling effect. But the torque is what will jump! You might get 50-70rwtq with just a 30 shot! I would highly recommend the Compucar kit if you plan on a dry kit and want to around a reasonable shot size. You can spray a small shot in front of your MAF as long as your current tune is safe. Its just like installing an Apten blower. Guys are getting 30-40rwhp with the just the blower upgrade and they dont need a re-tune. If your tune was good before the nitrous, a small 30-40 shot will be just fine. The computer will do the rest. There is also a sensor in the blower that senses the air coming into the supercharger and tells the computer to add more fuel.

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced-03
Well I never liked the wet kits only because I have known a few people who had a fuel puddling problem and their intake blew through their hood! That would mean our supercharger would blow and that would be very expensive. If you use a shot below a 50, a dry kit with the nozzle placed before the MAF works very well. The computer will compensate more fuel if you keep the shots under 50. More than 50 and I would want a flip chip tuned for the car or perhaps the new 03 Cobra specific Edelbrock dry kit! There are many people who have dry kits (Compucar makes a nice dry kit) with great success. There are also several people who have wet kits with no problems also.

People say fuel puddling only occurs with driver error (ie: spraying before 3000 rpm's) but I know some people who said they sprayed way after 3000 and still had problems. I mean people dont want to blow up their cars on purpose! I think it is a crap shoot with wet nitrous. You either get huge gains or you get a huge repair bill. So far though I have heard no problems related to wet or dry kits for that matter on the 03 Cobra.

You obviously have some experience in the nitrous game from your last Cobra, so I say give it a shot (no pun intended)!!! Stick to about a 50 shot and make sure it looks good on the dyno. Get a nice set of colder plugs and make sure your car is in good running shape (fuel filter is new, injectors have been cleaned, etc.). If I had a wet kit I would put it on! I just wouldnt go out and buy one. I hear wet kits hit a little harder on the street that dry kits though. Maybe PoisonousMods will chime in. He had a 50 shot wet kit on his 03!

I never had a puddling problem in the 01. I had my window switch set at 3700 rpm to 6500 rpm. I shot it 4" away from the TB. It worked flawless. I also had a flip chip w/ 100 shot.

I would not go past a 50 in the 03.

Dave

cobra93teal

Psycho Pilot Racing
Established Member
what type of kit are most of u running...i have a nos 4.6 kit from my o2 gt(completley stock 12.98 in 1/4) well completley stock with a 125 shot! i need to get rid of that one and get one for my 03 cobra any ideas would help

Juiced-03

Established Member
You wouldnt need a flip chip with a wet 50 shot. If you have a window and full throttle switch, you will be fine! Do it!

I am not saying you ever had a fuel puddling problem, but trust me it can happen to the best of us!

Juiced-03

Established Member
Originally posted by cobra93teal
what type of kit are most of u running...i have a nos 4.6 kit from my o2 gt(completley stock 12.98 in 1/4) well completley stock with a 125 shot! i need to get rid of that one and get one for my 03 cobra any ideas would help

That is the NOS 05116 kit correct? Would that kit work on your car but with a smaller jet size?

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
You wouldnt need a flip chip with a wet 50 shot. If you have a window and full throttle switch, you will be fine! Do it!

I am not saying you ever had a fuel puddling problem, but trust me it can happen to the best of us!

I have everything window,full throttle, fuel pressure switch. bottle warmer, remote opener, purge.....etc.

Here's a pic of my old engine bay
dynoday001.jpg

I miss the purge :(
dave01.jpg

Dave

Last edited:

FoMoCoDave

Established Member
So where would you run the dry shot in for best results. In the intake tube just before the maf, or thru the front of the filter for a hidden install. Who makes a nozzle that sprays straight from the end for the thru the end of the filter hook up.

Juiced-03

Established Member
You could run it either in the intake tube before the MAF, or on the filter. I had to put my nozzle on the filter since I dont use intake tubes. I have an exposed 12" K&N. Compucar kits come with that particular nozzle you are referring to, or you can get one from NOS. You could alse simply cut the end of a regular nozzle off if you wanted. My friend did this to his 5.0.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Wow that brings back memories of my 01 Cobra! Nice pic! Hey what shot were you running and how did it feel on the street? I always contemplated a wet kit on my 01, but I bought a dry Venom kit.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Im gonna run a NX wet kit on my car. I ran a NX 150 shot on my old ls1 and never had a puddling problem either. I think most of its due to driver error, hitting spray to early etc.

I plan on a window switch also. Just 50 for now 38n/18f seems to be the popular setup, makes 60rwhp 100tq

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
I was running a 100 shot it made 397rwhp 460rwtq. I had Fordchip dyno tune it. It hit hard...I took a lot of people by surprize :p

HAVEIGHT 13R

Established Member
I messed around with both type of kits the problem I ran into with the wet system was keeping the fuel pressure up but there are ways around this do a search on my name Haveight 13 R and you will see my install pics and dyno results with different jets on a dry kit I never dynod tyh wet kit to many problems for me You don't need a flip chip either to run a small shot of spray but to optimize it a chip burnt for the spray will help less timing and all that other cool stuff, I would recomend after the throttle body other wise you won't be taking full advantage of the spray by doing this you create your own enviorment inside of the upercharger, I have mine installed on the KB but haven't used it yet tuning issues and things. A dry kit is a quick way to knock anywhere form .2 .8 tenths of a second depending on your driving abiltity. Broke you'd run 10.5 most likely you that man when it comes to drivin in my opinion. but a dry kit is cheap and effective also take a look at SFPHQ NOS controller its a great setup and not to much either with margins of safety built in hope this helps any other questions i will try and help ya with just ask.:-D

FoMoCoDave

Established Member
You could run it either in the intake tube before the MAF, or on the filter. I had to put my nozzle on the filter since I dont use intake tubes. I have an exposed 12" K&N. Compucar kits come with that particular nozzle you are referring to, or you can get one from NOS. You could alse simply cut the end of a regular nozzle off if you wanted. My friend did this to his 5.0.

I have the exposed filter set-up as well. Thats probably the route I would take thru the end of the filter.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Originally posted by HAVEIGHT 13R
Broke you'd run 10.5 most likely

Thats out on a limb, but well see ;-) ;-) I would love anywhere in the 10's.

Users who are viewing this thread