Nitrous button? (pic)

Brad

Banned
I didn’t want to run a WOT switch; I just wanted something I could engage the nitrous with by hand. I didn’t want it on the steering wheel and I didn’t want to have to go reaching for it. I didn’t want to buy a nitrous button shift knob because I don’t think they look right for the most part, so I converted the stock one to accept a nitrous button. The stainless plate with the shift pattern on it I removed and polished, you can’t tell from these horrible camera phone pics but it looks like a mirror. Under the button on the plate I was thinking of inlaying either, “Nitrous,” or, “go baby go,” but I’ll probably end up inlaying nitrous. I messed around a little with it today and it’s awesome, works perfectly, right at 4000RPM my thumb is ready to hit the button. All the other nitrous controls are in the center consol on an aluminum control panel I’ve been fabbing up, I’ll post pics of that when it’s all finished.

Here are the camera phone quality pics

knob1.jpg

knob2.jpg

knob3.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Very creative Brad. But then again, it's not the first time you've posted info about your original/witty ideas. :beer:

Juiced-03

Established Member
I like the idea, but I would be concerned about it interfering with normal shifting. I like to plop my hand on the shifter and the button would probably get in my way. You may have a different style of shifting though.

I know Hurst makes a T-handle with a momentary button built in.

Brad

Banned
Juiced-03 said:
I like the idea, but I would be concerned about it interfering with normal shifting. I like to plop my hand on the shifter and the button would probably get in my way. You may have a different style of shifting though.

I know Hurst makes a T-handle with a momentary button built in.

Yeah, firstly it's got a master arm switch in the center console, so no triggering nitrous by mistake. Secondly the button I chose is, "soft touch," for just that reason, if you want to plam the shifter you can! I spaced out the button so when it's depressed it's level with the plate. You honestly can't feel it's even there. Remove your hand it and pops right back up. Clealy when master arm is on you've got to grip the shifter from the side with your thumb over the nitrous, but it makes running nitrous real easy for me.

Last edited:

Brad

Banned
03ShadowCobra said:
Cool Brad. Saw your car the other day driving the other way on rt9. **CK that thing is loud.

Haha you did.. you sold your car? what the hell.. haha.. You been going to local shows at all? I'm doing mustangs unlimited in sept.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
no thanks, I don't trust myself spraying on a button. I hope you at least have a window switch.

Brad

Banned
ITSTOCK said:
no thanks, I don't trust myself spraying on a button. I hope you at least have a window switch.

You dont trust youself pressing a button? :dw:

I'm using a wideband control unit for all the saftey, but then again, if you can't see 3800RPM, press the button, let go, shift, then press again, you prob shouldn't be driving the car in the first place :D

vipergts281 said:
I never saw a A-pillar pod for verts......did you fab your own A-pillar guage pod?

Yes I did.

Last edited:

Brad

Banned
vipergts281 said:
You're the man. :rockon:

I always wondered if anyone ever did that.

:thumbsup:

There is a guy who mass produces pillars that work for the convertible, I don't know if he uses injection molding or what, but his pillars are one complete peice, although in my opinion they look a little funny.

I bought a generic dual pillar pod, chopped it up in addition to the stock pillar so there was a decent fit, then I used resin and epoxy and molded it in, did some fine tuning, then painted it. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread