Nissan Titan to get 5.0L Cummins

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I thought the Titan was dead, the ugliest of the full size trucks. The cummins is a nice addition though.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Wonder what Dodge thinks about this?

Dodge has no issue as they will still supply the 3/4 and 1 ton.

I've been watching for a while.
They originally tested it with a I4 cummins.

Dodge is going with a 3.0 V6 diesel in the 1500 in the next month or 2.

It has already been announced.

Rick88LX

Established Member
Wonder what Dodge thinks about this?

Back in 2007/2008 I worked in Engineering for Dodge and we had weekly meetings with Nissan. We were to build trucks for them and they would be badged as theirs. Unique sheetmetal and interior, but functionally they would be Dodge product.
I suspect there may be some collaboration with RAM...will be interesting to see.

RedBeauty84ZX

Established Member
Back in 2007/2008 I worked in Engineering for Dodge and we had weekly meetings with Nissan. We were to build trucks for them and they would be badged as theirs. Unique sheetmetal and interior, but functionally they would be Dodge product.
I suspect there may be some collaboration with RAM...will be interesting to see.

No collaboration with RAM, that "partnership" fell through a few years back and Nissan decided to do it on their own. The truck itself is 100% built in house by Nissan. Several different engine configurations are to be offered on the new Titan. Nissan is still supplying their own gas built engines for the new Titan but have partnered with Cummins for this 5.0L diesel, this engine will not be seen in any future Chrysler/Ram products. It will also likely be used in future Nissan commercial trucks/vans.

This new 5.0L diesel is expected to make an estimated 340HP and 550TQ.

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
What's the point of having motor stronger than the frame can carry? I like the idea of diesel in light trucks but it really doesn't make sense in less the chassy can handle the payload.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
What's the point of having motor stronger than the frame can carry? I like the idea of diesel in light trucks but it really doesn't make sense in less the chassy can handle the payload.

The point is that the dodge for example will get 30+ MPG on the highway as compared to 21 for a gas burner.

The point is that the gas burner will get 12-14 MPG while pulling your boat while the diesel will still be in the 20 range.

Low end TQ to get moving, etc...

It isn't just about payload.
Anyone who pulls a boat or say a small lawn service will be better off.

Users who are viewing this thread