Nissan 300zxTT

Steve1578

Established Member
Hey guy, looking into getting a fun project car for the wifey. I've always been a fan of the Z line from Nissan and she also likes them. Wondering if anything has any experience with 90-96 300zx twin turbo. I don't see them around much anymore but they seem like a bad ass platform if you're going import.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Hard as shit to work on, and absolutely zero room under the hood

4a7191a

Established Member
They have thier share of problems too from what I remember.
Buddy of mine had one that was yard art for a long time. :/

jshen

Established Member
I bought a 90 TT and went through 5 clutches in about 5 months!!! The flywheel contact area is way too small according to my brother in law who works on and races Nissans. Also, the 300 has a "weak bottom end". You have be very careful if you are in a flood prone area as air intake is about 4-6 inches off ground. I hit a puddle at 35,000 miles and it ruined motor and turbos to extent of $14,500.00. My car ran OK but it was not a drag car..It desperately needs the Millen chip which adds about 60 hp. I saw an episode of All Girl Garage where someone had put an LS motor into one and I love that idea. By the way if you live in an area where it gets hot...air conditioning is marginal due to all the glass areas.

I do have experience with Nissan/Datsun as I bought 82, Datsun 280 Turbo, 85 Nissan 300 Turbo before buying the TT. 82 was by far the most fun.

jshen

Established Member
edit- I thing the project car that got the LS was a 370 Z

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You mentioned a "project" car for your wife. What would your goal be for the car?

Zemedici

Established Member
Suck to work on
Parts are expensive
Hard to find tuners for them as they're dated

Personally I'd pass, and snag up a SN95 or something MUCH cheaper. Hell, snag a 350z

jshen

Established Member
Remember with the dated technology here, you have a heavy as hell iron block...and turbos whose life expectancy then was 50,000 miles. When I saw my engine disassembled...there appeared to be a half inch+ of piston wall space between cylinders. Since my insurance company paid the bill I could not complain but for the money if I were spending it, I would have ordered a Steve Millen race prepped long block- would have been about the same $$.

Again, I do like the idea of an LS swap...tons of potential including weight savings. https://conceptzperformance.com/loj...e-swap-kit-90-96-z32-loj-z32ls-kt_p_25638.php

Steve1578

Established Member
We're looking for something different, but definitely not liking the idea of all the possible issues. Not looking for a money pit but she doesn't want your typical mustang/camaro.

jshen

Established Member
At the time, it was a high tech car- that came with all the issues. For example, it has a 4 wheel steering setup where back wheels will turn a couple of a degrees in turns. The car is a great highway cruiser..and I got 22-23 mph on hwy. It's a heavy car and the ride is great. I never checked top speed as I don't do those things. I can say that compared to my ex-03 Cobra..performance wise- there is no comparison! It would have left 300 in the dust- had time to have a drink- and wait for 300 to catch up. However highway cruising, Z was much more comfortable at the end of the day. Interestingly enough, my 90 300TT and 03 Cobra cost with a few hundred dollars of each other when bought new......

4a7191a

Established Member
Ever think about and old school prelude ?
My cousin was wanting something important that isn't seen anymore. And he's hooked . Great car all around , add bolt on turbo kit and call it a day too.

Steve1578

Established Member
Well she's really set on the 300, loves the styling and you hardly ever see them anymore. Really liking the idea of an LS swap the more I think of it.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
People have been removing the old motors and throwing in RB25's pretty easily. 600+rwhp on some boost and none of the problems associated with the factory motor.
You can also get the non turbo version for cheaper than the turbo model. Grab one of those, swap the RB25 in and enjoy.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I would find a gently used non-turbo and do an engine/drivetrain swap.

They are great looking cars. Your wife has excellent taste!

Blackoyote

Established Member
Just buy an R32 GTST - they're going for sub $10k from what I've been seeing and they aren't your 'average' car, but still fun and PLENTY of aftermarket support.

Steve1578

Established Member
If we go the route of the engine swap, we'll definitely be picking up an NA and saving a little cash. There are a few around us for less than $7K that are very clean.

Users who are viewing this thread