Nightshift

norcalcobra

Established Member
I work for a biotech company, purifying biotheraputic proteins for cancer treatments. I've been at my current employer for 4.5 years. Nightshift has taken its toll on me. I cant remember anything, I have gained weight, grouchy all the time, hooked on coffee, did i mention I am an a$$hole?
After telling my supervisor that I believe my manufacturing career is over things turned around for me. I applied for an internal position and got it. Now I work in an engineering department, Monday through Friday (9 - 5).
Not sure how long it will take to return to a normal sleeping pattern.

Blown 89

Established Member
The night shift can be healthy but you have to stay on it every day. People run into issues when they flip flop back on day schedules during their time off or run errands in the middle of the day. You'd feel like shit if you treated the day shift like that. It's a mindset that very few people grasp.

The most frustrating thing for me was trying to get day shifters to understand that 12 pm was the equivalent to their middle of the night. No I can't take you to the airport at noon. Why not? Would you like to drive me to the grocery store at 2 am? The concept never got through to anyone.

Congrats on getting off the night shift though.

cbj5259

Established Member
Been on nights for 11 straight years so far. I guess I'm the oddball...I love nights for the most part. I've been doing it so long now my sleep schedule is well adjusted.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

4a7191a

Established Member
I flip flop... Like this week, 6 nights on, two days off then 5days on then 3 off. Then back on nights. Likely 6 of them again.
Plus side to working nights is beer at 6am while waving neighbors off to work. :)
I've got about 5-6 more years left on my house note then no more shift work for me.

CV355

_
Established Member
You have to do what's right for you. Trust your gut. Sounds like you made a good choice.

Dusten

Established Member
The night shift can be healthy but you have to stay on it every day. People run into issues when they flip flop back on day schedules during their time off or run errands in the middle of the day. You'd feel like shit if you treated the day shift like that. It's a mindset that very few people grasp.

The most frustrating thing for me was trying to get day shifters to understand that 12 pm was the equivalent to their middle of the night. No I can't take you to the airport at noon. Why not? Would you like to drive me to the grocery store at 2 am? The concept never got through to anyone.

Congrats on getting off the night shift though.

This, exactly. When I work nights I just flip my day. I go to bed around 10-11 AM and sleep till 6PM. I typically get home from work around 830, go for a run, eat, shower and go to bed. I get up around 6, cook dinner, prep stuff for work and then leave around 9 pm. I find it pretty easy.

Did it years ago and hated it. Now you guys who do shift work, **** that.
Which is what I do. I ****ing hate it most days.

I work 5 days 615-1515, I am off 96 hours and then work 5 days 1415-2315, then I am off 96 hours and then I work 2215-0715. I do this with no break in the rotation.

Stateguy

Established Member
I also work in the same industry and in purification. We are on a rotating 12 hour shift but work a 2-2-3 schedule. Two weeks on days and two weeks on nights. It's hard the first day back transitioning but having all the extra days off makes it better than a m-f position.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

EBBS_03_Cobra

Never satisfied
Established Member
I work on drilling rigs and rotate from nights to days (12 hr shifts) every other well with 1-2 days off in between each well. Always fun the first few days trying to get acclimated.

Day shift is great for keeping a normal life, but nights rule for no one bothering you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Eatonualive281

Established Member
Ive worked nights for the past 9 years as a Machinist working on Steam Turbines and I can relate to the damage it does. I hate it. Hopefully Ill get days sooner than later. Its taken its toll for sure.

OP, Im very happy for you! Good luck with everything!

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I've worked the Dupont Schedule for the past 11 years (minus a few stints of straight days for projects). 4 nights, 3 off, 3 days, 1 off, 3 nights, 3 off, 4 days, 7 off. It's a bitch flipping back and forth so quick but most get used to it. Some never do. It's definitely easier to sleep working straight days or nights without switching.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I worked 3rd for two years and it takes its toll. Always felt tired after a while and cranky. Then I went to days now I'm on 2nd not by choice but got a promotion and money is good. I'd prolly pick 3rd over 2nd if it was my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spudz

Established Member
My employer likes to bounce me around, and it's taking a toll for sure. For instance, I am on swing shift tonight and tomorrow, but then transition to first for Sunday and then back to swing on Monday. It's really tough to lock in a sleep schedule when I'm constantly being shuffled around.

I think the worst of it is not knowing what hours I will be working more than a week out, so it's hard to plan anything around that. Add to that, the 4 hour time difference with the east coast, where my management is and works, and I'm pretty much up round the clock at times. I also don't get many days off.

But the pay is damned good, although I'm rapidly reaching the threshold where that doesn't justify my degrading health.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Worked all 3 shifts, hated 3 to 11 the most, really didn't like having to cover a different shift on the weekend..

lilcoop03

Established Member
I started my where Im at as a 3rd shift supervisor. I HATED 3RD other than you were off during the day to do as you wish and sleep when you want/can. I only had to do 3rd for about 5 months before I was promoted to a manager and put on 1st shift. Thank God.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
2-2-3 flip flop here for almost 20 years. I used to love it.
Then I tolerated it, now I'm considering a day job.
Hard to beat fishing or golf or gun range on a Tuesday morning at 9am when no one else is around though.
Shift work is a real love it or hate it thing. Some deal very well, some never adjust.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I've worked the Dupont Schedule for the past 11 years (minus a few stints of straight days for projects). 4 nights, 3 off, 3 days, 1 off, 3 nights, 3 off, 4 days, 7 off. It's a bitch flipping back and forth so quick but most get used to it. Some never do. It's definitely easier to sleep working straight days or nights without switching.

We worked this schedule for about 4 years, we're trying to get it back now. It is by far the best rotating work schedule for a shift worker. The time off is unbeatable.

I actually bid on a job in another department that works this schedule, I hope to be in there by summer...

TP03

Established Member
Shift worker for 17 years (12 hr shifts). Definitely a love hate. Love when I have off, hate when I have to work. One of the longest days of my life was when I bought my cobra. I was on a night stretch and left work early (@ 3am) to get on the road. My wife drove and I was going to sleep but the anticipation kept me awake. Picked up the car, drove it back home with just enough time to go back in for my night shift. My wife said "you should call in". I said hell no, now I gotta get more money for mods! That was a long night.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
We worked this schedule for about 4 years, we're trying to get it back now. It is by far the best rotating work schedule for a shift worker. The time off is unbeatable.

I actually bid on a job in another department that works this schedule, I hope to be in there by summer...

I worked a project where we had 7 on 7 off (12 hrs) working only days. That was the shit lol. At my dad's old company he worked days but the shift workers worked the Dupont schedule. Except they didn't flip flop from days to nights so fast, they'd work a whole 28 day set on days then flip and do a 28 day set on nights. That would be an awesome schedule. I've tried to get it at my work but haven't been successful yet.

Shift worker for 17 years (12 hr shifts). Definitely a love hate. Love when I have off, hate when I have to work. One of the longest days of my life was when I bought my cobra. I was on a night stretch and left work early (@ 3am) to get on the road. My wife drove and I was going to sleep but the anticipation kept me awake. Picked up the car, drove it back home with just enough time to go back in for my night shift. My wife said "you should call in". I said hell no, now I gotta get more money for mods! That was a long night.

That reminds me of my "longest day." We had a cruise and track trip with a bunch of people so I worked Wed night, took a nap, got up at 10am to work on the truck and get it ready (had my Lightning at the time), went back to work Thursday night, got home Friday morning and went to the cruise and track and got home around 2am. So basically after 2 hours of sleep I was up for 40 hours straight. It was a blast though.

Users who are viewing this thread