Nightshaded my taillights (rattlecan awesome-ness)

bigdog2k7

Established Member
I got bored so I nightshaded the side markers and taillights on the GT.

lets start off with the side markers:

that's 2 coats of nightshade and 3 coats of lacquer clear

IMAG0154.gif

IMAG0160.gif

If anyone wants to know how these come off, it's really easy. Pop the christmas tree off that holds the bumper to the body on the bottom near the wheel well. Take the two phillips head screws out of the wheel well area holding the bumper on. Then pry the bottom of the bumper out while laying under the car with a ratcheting wrench, reach your arm between the bumper and the body and carefully remove the two lock nuts that hold the reflector in place.

Here are the taillights, I wanted everything dark, but not blacked out. The reflectors still shine red when there is light shined on them and I wanted the same effect from the taillights.

2 coats of nightshade, 5 coats of lacquer clear (to compensate for wetsanding the hard to reach areas and many corners).

IMAG0174.gif

IMAG0175.gif

IMAG0179.gif

Will post better pictures once my wheels get back from being coated and the car can leave the garage. Enjoy!

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
Real nice job on those, I never understood why when some people do this they come out with a flat finish.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
dumb question but the can is called Niteshade? reason being is that i want to do this to my truck lights, they came out nicely, where did you get the stuff from? i recently plasti dipped my stuff so i want a darker look, how long did it take to dry etc before you mounted back on?

bigdog2k7

Established Member
They came out nicely. Good job.
Thank you.
Real nice job on those, I never understood why when some people do this they come out with a flat finish.
Thank you. Well, most people don't clear coat over the nightshade and I finish off my work by wetsanding 1500-3000 grit and buffing with various foam pads and polishes to get them shiny like that. It's very time consuming with rattle cans but I don't have access to a paint booth so I have to do what I have to do lol.
dumb question but the can is called Niteshade? reason being is that i want to do this to my truck lights, they came out nicely, where did you get the stuff from? i recently plasti dipped my stuff so i want a darker look, how long did it take to dry etc before you mounted back on?

Yes, the product is VHT Nightshades. Walmart, Meijer, Advance Auto Parts, etc... carry it. Thank you, and I prepped everything, wiped it down with alchohol. Start off using adhesion promoter then every 10 minutes lay a nice, thin, even coat of nightshade till you achieve your desired look. Then lay down your clear thick enough to "flood" the light but not thick enough for the clear to run. I let my plastic parts sit for 24-48 hours before wetsanding and buffing them to put back on the car. Work time is approximately 8-10 hours for everything. Wait time is approximately 2-3 days.

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
what clear did you use that you were able to wet sand it and polish it? ive never had good luck doing that with rattle can pain. it doesnt get hard enough

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Thank you.

Thank you. Well, most people don't clear coat over the nightshade and I finish off my work by wetsanding 1500-3000 grit and buffing with various foam pads and polishes to get them shiny like that. It's very time consuming with rattle cans but I don't have access to a paint booth so I have to do what I have to do lol.

Yes, the product is VHT Nightshades. Walmart, Meijer, Advance Auto Parts, etc... carry it. Thank you, and I prepped everything, wiped it down with alchohol. Start off using adhesion promoter then every 10 minutes lay a nice, thin, even coat of nightshade till you achieve your desired look. Then lay down your clear thick enough to "flood" the light but not thick enough for the clear to run. I let my plastic parts sit for 24-48 hours before wetsanding and buffing them to put back on the car. Work time is approximately 8-10 hours for everything. Wait time is approximately 2-3 days.

ahhh gotcha....hmmm maybe i'll do it later, plastidip took a while too but not that long. didi my rims and my chrome side bars, check it out in my other thread.:beer:

bigdog2k7

Established Member
what clear did you use that you were able to wet sand it and polish it? ive never had good luck doing that with rattle can pain. it doesnt get hard enough

Duplicolor automotive clear, I was able to wetsand and polish it after about 24 hours. Make sure you lay down enough coats to accomodate the wetsanding, I usually stick to 3-5 coats with 10 minutes between coats.

dads01dream

Established Member
They look terrific!! Would love to see some pics when the lights are on & when you depress the brake pedal. You did a great job on this mod, thanks for sharing.

bigdog2k7

Established Member
They look terrific!! Would love to see some pics when the lights are on & when you depress the brake pedal. You did a great job on this mod, thanks for sharing.

I'll take some when I leave class today, she sits in the garage on jackstands right now so night shots are fairly easy with the door closed haha. Thank you.

Next mod will be sequential taillights >:)

BayouVette

Far Beyond Driven
Established Member
yours came out great, but I hate when people do this and not do it right. You really can't see the damn brake lights.

Users who are viewing this thread