NHRA Legal to 10.00 or 135mph one piece "BOLT-IN" roll bar

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
Just wondering what everybody is doing for a roll bar when running quicker than 11.50? It dosen't take much in the way of mods to get kicked off the track. I'm running 10.60's @ 133 with factory blower and bolt ons. I had local chassis shop (guy builds top alcohol funny cars) build a 5-point, chrome moly, one piece, BOLT IN roll bar that meets NHRA standards, it turned out super sic and keeps stock seats fully functional with the curved back bar. Is there much interest out there for a high quality bar? Cost is about $2000.00. Check out the pics and let me know what you think?

Imageshack - img1729d.jpg
Imageshack - img1716.jpg
Imageshack - img1676r.jpg
Imageshack - img1726f.jpg

Last edited:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
A cage belongs in a 9 second car. Anything slower than that does not need a cage. I really wish they would change the rules. This isn't 1985 anymore.

On topic the cage looks nice. Makes the interior look crammed though. Also I think $2000 is a bit much. I would hate to put a cage in a nice bolt on GT500. Makes me sick thinking about it...

Last edited by a moderator:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A cage belongs in a 9 second car. Anything slower than that does not need a cage. I really wish they would change the rules. This isn't 1985 anymore.

On topic the cage looks nice. Makes the interior look crammed though. Also I think $2000 is a bit much. I would hate to put a cage in a nice bolt on GT500. Makes me sick thinking about it...

I totally agree with you. Especially when the car is used to transport kids in the back during regular use. Nice cage, although any cage really ruins the interior unless it provides the look you're looking for, beyond the track requirement.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
lol @ $2000. I agree a cage if for 9 sec and faster cars, with stock cars running in the low 11's high 10's and with bolton cars hitting mid-low 10's and even 9's with a good driver IMO its BS to be required to use a cage.

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
Uh........who said anything about a cage, this is a 5-point with a removable bar on the driver side which means its no different getting in or out of your car than without one.

JSZ03

Local Mustang Legend
Established Member
looks good and is a great idea...price is a bit salty, but you gotta pay tp play...

NateV8

Established Member
Like the OP just mentioned, that is not a CAGE. It's a roll bar, and it's required at the track if you have a coupe that runs faster than 11.5. If it was a 10pt with bars that go over your head and through the dash, then it would be a cage.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Uh........who said anything about a cage, this is a 5-point with a removable bar on the driver side which means its no different getting in or out of your car than without one.

Call it whatever you want. It still ruins your interior IMO and is a joke of a price.

To me a roll bar is a light bar or a 4 point bar that is designed for roll overs like some Miatas have aftermarket. Anything with door bars is a cage IMO.

cobraman302

Established Member
Call it whatever you want. It still ruins your interior IMO and is a joke of a price.

To me a roll bar is a light bar or a 4 point bar that is designed for roll overs like some Miatas have aftermarket. Anything with door bars is a cage IMO.

I agree 100%, it "wraps" you in the car, it's a cage. A simple 4 point deal on the other had...roll bar.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I've never been told I need a "roll bar" after I get kicked out of the track. Its always I need a 6 pt roll CAGE.

BIGGESTJOHNSON

Established Member
I've never been told I need a "roll bar" after I get kicked out of the track. Its always I need a 6 pt roll CAGE.

you are being told by some clown who does not know what he is talking about. It looks like a nice ROLL BAR, being bolt in at least you can remove it for trips or what have you and not leave it permanently in the car.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
you are being told by some clown who does not know what he is talking about. It looks like a nice ROLL BAR, being bolt in at least you can remove it for trips or what have you and not leave it permanently in the car.

For $2,000 you should be able to press a button and it retracts itself neatly into the trunk. And the clown that told me that makes roll cages for a living. :dw:

Roll Race Rob

Established Member
something completely custom made like above is going to cost. you can get a decent maximum motorsports cage for 400-500, and install is usually around 600-1000 depending on the shop.

mr2cam

Established Member
That is not a cage, I do tech at our track and that is a roll bar required for cars going faster then 11.5. I will take pictures of a stang we are working on that has an actual cage in, that thing looks easy to get into compaired to what we have at our shop lol, especially with me being about 6'2. Oh and the guy that put ours together only charged $500, then again it's an 81 Fox Body that has the interior gutted completely.

cobradrivr

Heaton Slowbra *****
Established Member
$2000?! Looks just like my maximum motorsports bar i paid $450 for! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread