Ngk tr7ix assembled in Thailand..

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Some guys run the TR7IXs and some of us run BR7EF plugs, obviously Iridium plugs run a lot hotter. The BR7EF copper plugs run cold, better to fight against knock. I personally run and recommend BR7EF plugs and have had good luck with them.

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
I have the BR7EF's in right now but don't like them that much either. I have the tr7ix also but heard there are two different ones. A batch made in japan and another in Thailand. I have the Thailand ones and heard not to use them?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I did not even know they had ones made in Thailand. Are they fakes?

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I've got deja vu - didn't we PM about this last fall?

The NGKs I have are from Japan, rather than Thailand. Here are pics of the TR7-IX (3690) packages...
20201031_115026.jpg
20201031_115112.jpg

That said, NGK does have manufacturing facilities in Thailand, so yours are probably OK.

You might think about asking your tuner what they recommend for your application. FWIW, my tuner recommended the TR7-IXs for mine.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I've got deja vu - didn't we PM back and forth about this last fall?

The NGKs I have are from Japan, rather than Thailand. Here are pics of the TR7-IX (3690) packages...
20201031_115026.jpg
20201031_115112.jpg

That said, NGK does have manufacturing facilities in Thailand, so yours are probably OK. (A number of Toyota parts I've used for my S/C Tacoma were made in Thailand, where Denso also manufactures stuff.)

You might think about asking your tuner what they recommend for your application. FWIW, my tuner recommended the TR7-IXs for mine.

Last edited:

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
I've got deja vu - didn't we PM back and forth about this last fall?

View attachment 1695124
View attachment 1695125

That said, NGK does have manufacturing facilities in Thailand, so yours are probably OK. (A number of Toyota parts I've used for my S/C Tacoma were made in Thailand, where Denso also manufactures stuff.)

Norton i love you bro! We did have a conversation about this but can't remember the outcome!

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Idle, drivability. Unless its because I have a bigger gap. From 28 to 30 31ish now too. Have to see if I get spark blowout
IIRC, we've got similar bolt-ons. FWIW, I've run mine with 0.030" gap for almost 4 years and 12K miles with no problems.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
IIRC, we've got similar bolt-ons. FWIW, I've run mine with 0.030" gap for almost 4 years and 12K miles with no problems.

Have you planned to take them out to look at the wear on them?

Definitely not gonna get over 10k on BR7EF plugs.

With 19psi + i would say change every 5k or once a year on the BR7EF.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Have you planned to take them out to look at the wear on them?

Definitely not gonna get over 10k on BR7EF plugs.

With 19psi + i would say change every 5k or once a year on the BR7EF.
Inspected annually. As I said, no problems so far, but will probably change them before coming our of hibernation this year.

Agreed, which is one of the reasons I run TR7-IX (3690), as listed above.

Agreed again, but who's running 19+ PSI? The highest boost I see here is about 14 PSI. He didn't list it but, based on the mods listed in his sig and his location, I'd guess OP's boost tops out around 17 PSI.

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
I've been hesitant to use the TR7IXs but maybe I'll give them a shot, especially on E85 it might help.
Let's put it this way, I tried the tr6s, didn't like them but gapped to 29ish, put the BR7EF's in, same thing, and so far I like this. Awesome throttle response and idle

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I've been hesitant to use the TR7IXs but maybe I'll give them a shot, especially on E85 it might help.
May I ask what drove your hesitation to use TR7-IXs?

And if you don't like em you can always take them out imo. Thats the way I look at it
+1. Thankfully, changing plugs is pretty straightforward and manageable on these engines. (Not the case with my C7Z or S/C Tacoma. Haven't even looked at my wife's 340ix yet, but I suspect I won't like what I find there either.

Very true, I just ordered a set
I hope you're as satisfied with them as @WicK and I are.

Users who are viewing this thread