NGK TR6s ??

Bullyent

Established Member
looking to change out my plugs and im a bit confused on which NGK TR6s are. so on summit, the plugs that im looking at are"TRIUMPH TR6 NGK iridium IX BPR6EIX/6637" and "NGK V-power spark plugs TR6/4177". not sure which one is the TR6s everyone is talking about.
also, I have a 2.3 whipple at 15#

rymax101

Established Member
Ngk #3689 are tr6ix (iridium) that's what I run. Gap them to .028 and send it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
looking to change out my plugs and im a bit confused on which NGK TR6s are. so on summit, the plugs that im looking at are"TRIUMPH TR6 NGK iridium IX BPR6EIX/6637" and "NGK V-power spark plugs TR6/4177". not sure which one is the TR6s everyone is talking about.
also, I have a 2.3 whipple at 15#

TR6 4177 (copper) gap accordingly, then send it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bullyent

Established Member
TR6 4177 (copper) gap accordingly, then send it.

So the 4177 has the copper core as well as the 3689s but the 4177s have nickel alloy tip and 3689s have iridium tips. Anyone know the difference?

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
So the 4177 has the copper core as well as the 3689s but the 4177s have nickel alloy tip and 3689s have iridium tips. Anyone know the difference?

Someone told me once, the nickel tip will fail and melt before the iridium tip does, thus potentially saving you’re head/short block. Cheaper to replace a $3 fouled plug than tearing it down to do engine work. No concrete evidence to back that up but it makes sense as the melting point is much greater in iridium. Found this article about spark plug materials.

Guide to Spark Plug Materials

Bullyent

Established Member
Someone told me once, the nickel tip will fail and melt before the iridium tip does, thus potentially saving you’re head/short block. Cheaper to replace a $3 fouled plug than tearing it down to do engine work. No concrete evidence to back that up but it makes sense as the melting point is much greater in iridium. Found this article about spark plug materials.

Very true. I don’t mind paying more when it comes to the maintenance to avoid bigger problems lol

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
So iridium plug are better then cheap Copper plug ? I though copper burn the best

GodStang

Established Member

I was a hard core Iridium guy back in the day. I was shooting the bull with a big name Builder/Tuner while my buddy got his car built. I was telling him what mods I had and he told me to immediately get rid of the iridium plugs. He said too many times he had under high boost had Iridiums come apart and engine check out.

That being said it was 2007-2009ish so plug design could be different now. I am running Coppers at over 800rw with zero issues.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've run copper on all of my boosted set ups. I'm ok with swapping plugs a little sooner. Plus it keeps me on top of what's going on inside of the engine.

Street Warrior

SVT Power
Established Member
I was a hard core Iridium guy back in the day. I was shooting the bull with a big name Builder/Tuner while my buddy got his car built. I was telling him what mods I had and he told me to immediately get rid of the iridium plugs. He said too many times he had under high boost had Iridiums come apart and engine check out.

That being said it was 2007-2009ish so plug design could be different now. I am running Coppers at over 800rw with zero issues.
How often do you change your plugs?

Users who are viewing this thread