Next time your cobra is up on a rack, take a look at this...

svtnos1011

STRIKE FIRST, STRIKE HARD
Established Member
look where the tranny crossmember bolts up to. pardon my incorrect terminology by the way, im not a car guru. the thing that this tranny crossmember bolts up to has 3 spot welds. on my passenger side, ALL 3 spot welds where off. the tranny was sort of sagging because of this obviously and causing some noises. i thought it was the rear end the entire time but it was not. the driver side's welds were still all attached to the floor, but the edge was starting to like peel off and probably eventually start ripping out those 3 spot welds along with it and eventually cause major issues.

i was having my full length subframes welded on at the time when my friend noticed this. he went ahead and repaired it. i can not believe that this has not ever happened to anyone else. my car has never seen slicks before.

im going to get under the car today to paint up the welds so i will use my girlfriend's camera to take a pic to show you all later. i was in complete shock.

svtnos1011

Established Member
musclefan21 said:
im going to take pics later this afternoon. im really surprised this hasnt happened to any other stangs out there!

i will definately have pics later tonight. i have to install a relay for my bottle warmer and paint the welds tonight. if anyone has some driveline noise or rear end noise, i would look at the area im talking about.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Were the welds not done at the factory or were they welded but broke later?
Of if they were done at the factory, were they of such poor quality, they didn't hold?

Dana

svtnos1011

Established Member
Dana said:
Were the welds not done at the factory or were they welded but broke later?
Of if they were done at the factory, were they of such poor quality, they didn't hold?

Dana
the factory spot welds did NOT hold. my friend now repaired it after it broke. i dont know if it will break again but my friend was suggesting doing something about this like possibly yanking out some of the interior carpet so when he completely goes over the entire plate, dont have to worry about the insulation getting too hate and starting to burn. either that or make a new type of tranny crossover:shrug:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
svtnos1011 said:
ya send me a PM when you do your upgrades. this is something i want to address soon. i can only imagine if my car was making some real power what would of happened

you might be waiting for years! :lol1:

one of these winters I'm gonna do some unibody projects, since I plan on keeping this car forever and want it to stay solid and quiet

....add custom matrix to subframe connectors, stitch-weld & recaulk seams, and reinforce areas like trans mount and IRS mounts (I'd like to get rid of rear cantilever setup)

Last edited:

svtnos1011

Established Member
driver side:

CIMG0156.jpg

CIMG0154.jpg

svtnos1011

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
oy. enjoy the rust your welding friend just caused you (in the future). Too lazy to grind the paint off, and too cheap for a can of weld-thru primer. Check for a burn mark on the carpeting as well...
there is no rust that will happen flapjack, i painted over all the welds last night. i hope yours isnt ripping off the floor:rollseyes

svtnos1011

Established Member
mavereq said:
thanks for the heads up man. i'm checking mine this weekend.
that is all i was trying to do. im surprised this hasnt happened more often to others:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread